Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JacenXYZ

The Army of Insanity

The Core Question  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Should I complete M01 before going into the rest?

• Yes
    • No

Hello, how's it going everyone, this is KHJDoom25 (JacenXtreme everywhere else), and welcome to the Army of Insanity. This is a project that I have been trying to work on in absolute secrecy, but after tons of feedback, I want to improve as a level designer and as a modder.

Project Status: REDOING!

Map Listing in the spoilers:

Spoiler

MAP01: Camp 52 (100%)

MAP02: Sewer Labs (100%)

MAP07: Death's Loving Embrace (Or Dead Paradise) (100%)

I hope you like what you see. Thank you, have an awesome day.

Credits found in the spoiler below!

Spoiler

JacenXtreme Presents
THE ARMY OF INSANITY

(NOTE! IF I MISSED ANYONE! PLEASE LET ME KNOW!)

Music ripped from:
-Project Eisenritter by Wolf-Skevos Jones (D_DM2TTL)
-Final Fantasy IV by SQUARE ENIX (D_DM2INT)
-MORTAL KOMBAT II by Midway (D_READ_M)
-Spear Resurrection by AreYeP and MCS Amsterdam (D_RUNNIN)
-Final Fantasy VII by SQUARE ENIX (D_STALKS)
-Heretic by Raven Software (D_COUNTD)
-Heremidi by Jimmy (D_SHAWN)

Sprites ripped from:
-Ac!d
-Amuscaria/Eriance
-Doomkid
-DOOMPiter
-Fireseraphim
-id Software
-osjclatchford
-PerKristian

The creators of the following Maps:
-Camp 52 by @KHJDoom25 (aka JacenXTreme)
-Sewer Labs by @KHJDoom25 (aka JacenXTreme)
-______ by ___________ (Claimed by Doomkid)
-______ by ___________ (Claimed by Craftsdwarf)
-Dead Paradise (aka Death's Loving Embrace) by @MidnightMage (aka Voltcom9)

The testers:
-DavidN for testing and also improving MAP01
-DOOMPiter for testing and also giving me a new sector for MAP02
-RDETalus for testing and also giving me advice for the problems in MAP02

Level Submission Guidelines:

#1: Be sure and use the essential Doom II: Hell on Earth Textures. (You can add textures of your own if you want to)
#2: Don't steal other peoples' works without crediting them.
#3: Avoid excessive detailing of your levels.
#4: The difficulty curve cannot be over 1,000 monsters at a time.
#5: The progression must be consistent amongst the story.
#6: Have fun and be good.

Where to find it on ZDOOM Forums!

Edited by AlphaSoraKun : Updated Credits listing, Guidelines, and Download Links!

7 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Looks fairly competent, though I'm admittedly confused by the "community project" in your title.

Understandable, I was confused by it too at the time, but now I've understood. Shoutout goes to WC for pointing it out.

Edited by KHJDoom25

Had a go at the downloadable map you provided. It's all right, but a little mundane in some respects. Some strong design and texture work, especially with the popsicle-shaped DoomCute trees hehe good stuff. Combat's a little flat due to how restricted the player's movement is. Every combat scenario has you in either a space with a lot of objects blocking your road, or just really tight corridors. Visually, there's some good varied texture and decorations going on, but it also feels a little muddled, like the map's unsure what it wants to be and just uses various textures for the hell of it, rather than a more consistent theme. Lots of room for improvement, but plenty of potential. Keep at it, man.

35 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Had a go at the downloadable map you provided. It's all right, but a little mundane in some respects. Some strong design and texture work, especially with the popsicle-shaped DoomCute trees hehe good stuff. Combat's a little flat due to how restricted the player's movement is. Every combat scenario has you in either a space with a lot of objects blocking your road, or just really tight corridors. Visually, there's some good varied texture and decorations going on, but it also feels a little muddled, like the map's unsure what it wants to be and just uses various textures for the hell of it, rather than a more consistent theme. Lots of room for improvement, but plenty of potential. Keep at it, man.

Thanks, man.

Many apologies for the double posting, but I want to thank those who voted for "yes, finish M01" for choosing that option. I am not 100% Finished with it, so, be patient as I finish this map.

By the way, you told me we'd be doing this in Boom format, right? You'll make sure to playtest the levels in both GzDoom and PrBoom+, right?

12 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

By the way, you told me we'd be doing this in Boom format, right? You'll make sure to playtest the levels in both GzDoom and PrBoom+, right?

Yup. I will.

EDIT: I have tested this both in GzDoom and PrBoom+ for this first level, now to record myself playing it.

Edited by KHJDoom25

Good, because that's a mistake I made with my first maps, there's some things which GzDoom will simply let you do, which PrBoom+ never will, like use the generalized walkover crusher linedef functions, which are all broken and do nothing in PrBoom+ still.

Just now, ChopBlock223 said:

Good, because that's a mistake I made with my first maps, there's some things which GzDoom will simply let you do, which PrBoom+ never will, like use the generalized walkover crusher linedef functions, which are all broken and do nothing in PrBoom+ still.

I understand. I'll be doing this with OBS.

Excuse me, can you change the title? It's pretty misleading and makes me think of a project where you need help from the community... You can call it "my first effort to the community" or something like that...

If this will be a community project, there's any rules to follow?

20 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Excuse me, can you change the title? It's pretty misleading and makes me think of a project where you need help from the community... You can call it "my first effort to the community" or something like that...

If this will be a community project, there's any rules to follow?

I forgot the rules. I do apologize.

EDIT: I have laid down some ground rules. 3 of them.

Edited by KHJDoom25

24 minutes ago, KHJDoom25 said:

I have laid down some ground rules. 3 of them.

Here are the ground rules.

1. The levels must be presented in BOOM: Doom 2 Format

2. Use the essentials I provide and you are allowed to do your own spin

3. When I list your name in the credits for your map, I will list your username, and what level number I have in mind for that map

Apologies again, this time for triple posting.

But I wanted to update you all in letting you know that no, the project is not dead, I just need to think of some ideas for how to expand on the first map which I have been crunching myself to upgrade.

And the release date, until I get this first map finished, expect a "When it's done..." motto from me.

And if you don't wish to contribute maps, that's okay with me. I wouldn't mind any sort of submission in terms of mapping. And here's an image attachment to show off how much of M01 is done.

I'd say it's 75% or lower.

ArmyOfInsanity (edit area) at 2020.09.25 05-18-46.834 [R3580].jpg

I want to thank the 12 people who voted on Yes for motivating me to want this LEVEL completed!

Edited by KHJDoom25

UPDATE: Map01 is now known as Bad Dream, and the original post has been updated.

Edited by KHJDoom25

On 2/25/2021 at 9:32 PM, MidnightMage said:

As promised. Here's a limit removing map for your project. No new textures, the song used was a midi called "Die for Parthoris" - by Jimmy and Dragonfly from the Heremidi compilation.

It's called "Death's Loving Embrace"

Good luck.

AoIV9_b.zip

Thank you. I have decided this will be MAP07.

Edited by KHJDoom25

UPDATE: After many times saying I'd come back to this. I have finally, well, returned to this project.

I think there is a bug in MAP02, the switch that lowers the lift for the yellow key only activates once, so if you miss it the first time, you can never get the yellow key again.

15 hours ago, RDETalus said:

I think there is a bug in MAP02, the switch that lowers the lift for the yellow key only activates once, so if you miss it the first time, you can never get the yellow key again.

I may want to fix that. Thanks for noticing.

I have also removed a secret that was way too obvious. You know the backpack area where a chaingunner guards it in map02?

Edited by KHJDoom25

New Video showcasing Map02 utilizing a sourceport called Russian Doom is now up on my YouTube Channel.

And the 4-Level Demo is now uploaded to DoomShack.org!

Edited by KHJDoom25

Map01 is now officially 100% completed. Here is a preview of what it looks like.

AOI (edit area) at 2021.07.12 12-17-53.216 [R3789].jpg

EDIT: As of this very moment, I now have a discord server dedicated to this project in case anyone is tired of having to send me levels through here.

So, if you choose to join, the link will be in the OP.

Edited by KHJDoom25

I now have a set number of levels I want to put out!

And that number is...

(Drumroll)

TEN!

Not counting two secret levels.

Edited by KHJDoom25

I’ve started a little map for this, will post it once it’s done (or near done, anyway)

11 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I’ve started a little map for this, will post it once it’s done (or near done, anyway)

Thanks.

4 hours ago, MidnightMage said:

I thought you'd abandoned this ages ago. I'm happy to hear you stuck with it and are already at 10 maps! Great stuff!

Thanks. I'll need to work on two more maps, like for example, MAP06 and MAP08, because... I'm kind of a gold belt in Mapping. (When it comes to Karate Ranks for mapmaking)