Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMagicMushroomMan

Which iWAD map has the most unfitting music?

Which iWAD maps do you think have music that totally doesn't fit?

For me, it's map14 of TNT. I heard this song in another wad, not knowing it came from TNT. I kind of like it, it almost sounds disturbing in a way, but I don't think it fits the whole "TNT grunge" aesthetic. Especially the middle portion of the song.

E3M9 for sure. Being an expanded version of E3M1 with the fake-out ending and second half, they really should have reused E3M1's music track for maximum effect. Instead, they reuse E1M9's music, which kind of ruins the surprise a bit. Not that anyone would get surprised by that anymore, but I still think that it was a poor decision overall.

Imo, Plutonia's entire soundtrack. I know, I know, it's unpopular. You don't have to agree with me. But it just is copy-paste from Doom 1.

Edited by KHJDoom25

E2M8 I love Nobody Told Me About Id and it's one of my favorite track on the game but the bossfight against the cyberdemon doesn't fit the track, if they used another one (namely Kitchen Ace or the one that plays after a level) it would have been better

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

I’ve never thought the Taco Bell theme fit Underhalls that well..

I love the map but, the music choice does leave much to be desired.

E2M3 has the intermission music, which doesn't fit since it's intermission music that you hear after every map. It's a bit strange having to hear it throughout an entire map.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I’ve never thought the Taco Bell theme fit Underhalls that well..

1 hour ago, Eric Claus said:

I love the map but, the music choice does leave much to be desired.

+1 
Initially the song is alright, a bit sneaky sounding chord progression, but once that epiano lead comes in with the salsa melody it just feels like elevator music.

E2M3 for reusing the intermission music. It's jarring hearing the intermission music restart when you enter the level and then restart again when you leave it.

I have to think that the music was originally designed for a level and was given to the intermission screen later (in spite of the name of the track being "Intermission from Doom"). 

8 hours ago, KHJDoom25 said:

Imo, Plutonia's entire soundtrack. I know, I know, it's unpopular. You don't have to agree with me. But it just is copy-paste from Doom 1.

Technically yeah, Plutonia's entire soundtrack is unfitting because it's just straight from Doom 1. It would've been cool to get a custom Plutonia soundtrack. It'd probably just be Revenant sounds though. 

37 minutes ago, SovereignX9 said:

It would've been cool to get a custom Plutonia soundtrack. It'd probably just be Revenant sounds though. 

We do get the community-made Plutonia MIDI Pack if that's what you mean.

2 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

We do get the community-made Plutonia MIDI Pack if that's what you mean.

I didn't know there was one, though it doesn't surprise me that it exists. The James Paddock one right? That's pretty cool. Will have to use it next time I play through the game. 

I know this is like saying a car has wheels, but this is just a reminder of how dedicated the Doom community is.

I disagree a bit about the Plutonia soundtrack, at least the Bunny music for "Hunted" and the victory music for "Slayer" are awesome. Even if these are "fitting because they're so unfitting".

I also don't like the music for "Underhalls". A much better Latin-inspired track is TNT's "Blood Jungle", but it would also not fit in Doom2 MAP02. That one better would have to be more spooky ("Suspense" comes into my mind, although it's obviously from Doom1).

16 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

For me, it's map14 of TNT.

Actually, for me it's exactly the opposite - TNT MAP14 is one of the most rememberable TNT maps for me due to its iconic music. The music sounds quite extraordinary and distinctively and became unforgettable to me. Note that I listen to music with OPL Synth emulator, which could matter too.

E4M8, The Ultimate Doom. It's overused at this point.

MAP22, Doom2. Sounds out of place for a Hell level.

MAP28, TNT. Same as above.

MAP05, Plutonia. Sounds too energetic for a lost city theme.

Most of the maps in episodes 4 & 5 of Heretic. I know the songs were unimaginatively placed in the same order as episodes 1 & 2. Hearing the hellish tunes of E1M8, E2M1 and E2M3 again in E4M8, E5M1 and E5M3 don't work with the map themes of the expansion.

2 hours ago, Hisymak said:

Actually, for me it's exactly the opposite - TNT MAP14 is one of the most rememberable TNT maps for me due to its iconic music. The music sounds quite extraordinary and distinctively and became unforgettable to me. Note that I listen to music with OPL Synth emulator, which could matter too.

I like the song itself, it's quirky and pretty funky, but to me it just sounds better in something like Epic, which I think is the other wad I heard it in. I haven't tried listening to it with OPL but I imagine it would make a pretty big difference, based on my experience with OPL.

On 9/25/2020 at 11:53 PM, nostalgia said:

E4M9. You had one job.

Punch some imaginary turkeys.

Intermission music for E2M3 should have been something else. Maybe one of the unused songs that Romero released later on.

On 9/24/2020 at 11:19 PM, TenenteZashu said:

E2M8 I love Nobody Told Me About Id and it's one of my favorite track on the game but the bossfight against the cyberdemon doesn't fit the track, if they used another one (namely Kitchen Ace or the one that plays after a level) it would have been better

I thought that was one of the best map-song couples. The initial song is a "shock", what, dead monsters on the wall? Shit, 4 dead baron of hells! What did this?!

-Moo! (horror intensifies!)

On 9/25/2020 at 5:30 AM, Hisymak said:

I think the song itself is good, just unfitting, especially with the design of that level. Honestly kinda sounds like an Earthbound song to me (especially in OPL)

On 10/5/2020 at 7:02 PM, Andromeda said:

Opening to Hell, easily (Doom II MAP30).

To me that's a weird mix of fitting and unfitting. Fitting as the concept of an enormous entity covering hell's surface is the source of the demons is unsettling like the MIDI itself, but unfitting due to the hectic fight that starts building up as enemies continue to spawn.

----

For me, having grown up playing SNES Doom, I find the original use of E3M2 "Donna to the Rescue" is unfitting while the SNES version's usage of "Demons from Adrian's Pen" (E2M2) feels better to me. Gives this creepy outdoorsy map (that's also shaped like a hand) a darker vibe.

The usual stinkers; MAP02, MAP04 nad MAP08 of Doom II. I just want the level to be over when I hear any of these tunes starting. TNT's soundtrack is all crap, which goes very well with the all crap maps. Both MM soundtracks and Requiem's just pounds the TNT one into dust.

most of Doom II's soundtrack, IMO. I still find it weaker than Doom I's for the most part, even though there are still some bangers here and there. I also agree with OP on Map 14 of TNT. That song is outright laughable, especially on some 3rd party soundfonts.