Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FabulousDoom

Good lightweight source port for quick LAN?

Sometimes in my school we have a free time to use our PCs, so today I played a doom shareware LAN deathmatch with my classmate using chocolate doom, but it was stuttering a lot even though we had a good connection. Is there any good lightweight source port for LAN you recommend? Thanks in advance!

I would try Odamex.  You would have to run a server but you could just do that on your own machine and then fire up the client.

First, you need to mention what OS, and what range of CPU speed.

With that kind of question, any and every port could be suggested to you, because

even the early Doom had network play.

Does the chocolate doom stutter when in single player ?

DoomLegacy has advanced features for network play.

It is developed on Linux, and has been tested with a Linux machine, and an XP playing.

With an erratic connection it will tolerate it for a while, then try to repair the player position, but when

it cannot recover it will kick the offending players.

DoomLegacy does not stall if another player is late with their network packet, it continue.

One advantage is that you could set it to use native draw, at 800x600 resolution, which is much faster

and does not require good OpenGL libraries.

It looks much better than 8bit palette draw of the older ports.

You could also use the splitscreen to both play on the same machine, but then should configure a second mouse.

Will also recommend Odamex. It uses a Quakeworld-style of networking so there won't be any stuttering. It was used for the Quakecon LAN Doom tournaments in 2013, 2019. It also has a wealth of other features if you're interested in using them.

On 9/25/2020 at 11:00 AM, FabulousDoom said:

Sometimes in my school we have a free time to use our PCs, so today I played a doom shareware LAN deathmatch with my classmate using chocolate doom, but it was stuttering a lot even though we had a good connection.

Make sure you're both using a daily autobuild as there have been several improvements and fixes to the netcode that aren't in the most recent release.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/69270-how-to-play-doom-multiplayer-tutorial-info/?tab=comments#comment-1549272 check out this post, but Odamex is probably your best bet