Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ks4

Set strafe on + turn with the same key

It's just possible with 1 key, there's not alt strafe on option.

k1.jpg.ba571569f228a6e1e0117c150d4b7961.jpg

Is it banned for demos archive?

If you mean the 2-key strafe50 option, yeah, it's best not to use it, as PrBoom+ makes it possible in any direction, which vanilla didn't support. It's not a huge advantage, but it's better not to use it anyway.

2 minutes ago, 4shockblast said:

If you mean the 2-key strafe50 option, yeah, it's best not to use it, as PrBoom+ makes it possible in any direction, which vanilla didn't support. It's not a huge advantage, but it's better not to use it anyway.

Talking about this, how about someone use a 3rd party key mapper or whatever to do this? Can those be detected?

Vanilla sourceports and doom95 allows set the same key for all controls options. The 2 key sr50 rules says: "It only exists in prboom+ v2.5.1.4. Please use a different version or remove it yourself.", I'm confused, anyways it doesn't count as always sr50, and the rules doesn't says nothing about key binding in general.

Edited by kokrean

There's no problem with doing it the vanilla way (i.e. binding it all to one key so it is only in a single direction, and at the cost of an inability to strafe-50 the other direction). Some traditional compet-n players did so quite openly, and there was never any suggestion that there was any objection to this.

The problems with the implementation in prb+ 2.5.1.4 were:

1) Possible in either direction.

2) Not an optional feature (so people could end up using it without meaning to or realizing).

Traditionally all such features in Prb+ had always been strictly optional and never the default - you actually had to turn them on yourself deliberately. (I view the way RjY slipped this in as basically an act of vandalism.) The simplest solution is to use 2.5.1.5, but if you can't get the mouse to work the way you like (it uses a different SDL, though with a little tweaking of the settings and a little practice you'll probably be fine), then there is a modified 2.5.1.4 floating around that removes this misguided feature.

Edited by Grazza

I have personally had one-button-sr50 configured in Doom for 20+ years. I had an extra button and finger available for that, so I added it as a nice feature.

Some might say it is limiting to have it only 1 direction, but for me the ease of use outweighs this. Having it easily available makes it viable in DM as well. Map07 is a good example of a map where this can see a fair bit of use.