Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oldschoolgeek32

How do I import sound files (Sound Tracks for Maps) onto a Wad File??

Question

Hi There. I know this question may have been answered in the past or asked many times, but I still want to know which methods works best in order for me to be able to import custom sound files onto my wad.

Here are some clarifications:

-Will I use slade or another program for it?

-What do I need to do in order to import custom sound files for maps or my wad?

-Do I need a specific sound file? (like MIDI, or can I import MP3s)

Much appreciation to responses, advice, and such

Thank you so much! :)

6 answers to this question

You can use any program that can open wads (I use slade).

In terms of format, vanilla supports .mus and .mid, with the name replacement technique (you name the music you want the exact same title as the map in the same spot in the IWad). If you use ZDoom-UDMF, you can use basically anything, mp3 and .ogg both work. I believe it also works with ZDoom-HeXen format.

You do wanna keep in mind that mp3 is a lot heavier than midi though. It will quickly , but like a lot, make your wad heavy.

You can also use MAPINFO to have different music titles (DeHackEd might work too, but I've never used it, so please if you know add this).

Just to clarify, both Crispy Doom and PrBoom+ at cl2 support .mp3 and .ogg files, so technically unless you're mapping for strict vanilla (so basically DOS or Chocolate Doom) you can use either format for limit-removing and Boom maps instead of MIDI, should you want.

Apart from all the answers, here's a tip. If you want to avoid making your WAD heavy and ineligible for the idgames archive by putting mp3 files, and you want to put SNES music, a good idea is to make your WAD ZDoom-compatible and use SPC files as they are (Surprisingly) supported by at least GZDoom, not sure about other engines though.