Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr.S Retro

Is it lazy to use r667 SPRITES?

Is it lazy to use r667 sprites?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Read before you poll

20 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Cool, I didn't know that! I've yet to play through OG Doom in BD.

Yeah, doom 1 has a lot of additions when you play it through brutal doom the civilian zombies are much more prevalent there than in Doom 2, also turns out there's no flamethrower in episode 2 I must be remembering wrong.

3 hours ago, Mr.S Retro said:

List of completely repetitive and mostly useless brutal doom things:

• MP40(same as smg)
  • SMG(another rapid-fire weapon)
  • FLAMETHROWER(The flame canon is better In every way)
  • Machine Gun(just rifle rocket/grenade launcher combo)
  • Revolver(another pistol)
  • Pistol zombieman(slower overall worse bd zombieman that could easily be replaced by having a normal zombieman occasionally drop a pistol)
  • Zombie scientist(fodder pinky that does less damage)
  • Mummy(Pinky with even more health)
  • Arachnorb(a weaker and slower cacodemon)

By most people these monsters add flavor to the mod, but from what you just said, all of these are redundant.

flavour is more important than you might think

2 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I'm not gonna try to defend that (most of these stuff are going to get cut from v22 anyway). I'm just giving my point of view of the experience of somebody that stared into the abyss of bloatness for too long.

The mighty sergeant mark IV! The things you have made with GZ-Doom is just jaw...dropping!

I hope one day to be able to merely approach your level of awesomeness!

I agree on many of your points.. but then again... I rarely see a purpose to modding on sourceports other than GZ-Doom. That being said, when modding on the GZ-Doom port (using 3d stuff)... I then think that alternate weapons can still add a needed flavour to a mod that has a specific aim.. like your vietnam mod for example... I am super excited about when that mod is going to be complete... the 3D tanks... I have never seen anything that awesome and cool! Last release of the vietdoom mod was december 2019 right?

NOBODY is even close to having your modding skills! And I DO mean NOBODY! You are unreal dude!

Edited by CBM

If it's considered lazy then I might as well rename my projects to LazyCore 2, Phage of the Lazy, etc.... ;)

It's no more lazy than adding some custom music you never made yourself or a texture pack from Afterglow or whatever.

18 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Check out that ego on the DUKE!!

jkjk

I haaveee baaaalls oof steel! My name is Duke Nukem and after few days of R&R, I'll be ready for more action!

8 hours ago, CBM said:

flavour is more important than you might think.

Those do not reflect my thoughts at all, they were made using the same idea mk.4 said. Infact a mod that I'm currently working on has tons of enemies that are just there for flavor.

21 minutes ago, Mr.S Retro said:

Those do not reflect my thoughts at all, they were made using the same idea mk.4 said. Infact a mod that I'm currently working on has tons of enemies that are just there for flavor.

ak ok, my bad then

13 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Adding just a thing or two, which does not deeply adds to the general experience and behaves the same way as the Vanilla counterparts is unnecessary, either if it's R667 code or not.
It's not an irrelevant advice because more importantly than giving my input if OP should use R667 sprites I'm asking to take into account for what purpose he wants to use them. Because if the scope of the project is changing the behavior of everything, R667 resources could pile up pretty bad on the project.

Again 100% irrelevant. It's great that you think your advice is so important that you give it when it's not even part of the discussion. So let me reiterate a third time: the original post is essentially asking "will I appear lazy if my custom content has graphics that I didn't make." They did not ask "should I create new weapons and monsters." I don't understand how you went from "grenade launcher that shoots sticky or toxic grenades" to "behaves the same as vanilla"

14 hours ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Adding just a thing or two, which does not deeply adds to the general experience and behaves the same way as the Vanilla counterparts is unnecessary, either if it's R667 code or not.
It's not an irrelevant advice because more importantly than giving my input if OP should use R667 sprites I'm asking to take into account for what purpose he wants to use them. Because if the scope of the project is changing the behavior of everything, R667 resources could pile up pretty bad on the project.

Wasnt this just someone asking if they look lazy if they use some free to use sprites from a doom resource website? Now were getting into the deep and heated discussion about brutal doom, compatibility, etc. Its his mod tbh, let him use those sprites if he wants. I dont think it really matters. Not to be rude but if you dont like it, then dont play his mod. Thats my input for OP and this topic.

18 minutes ago, BucketHoodie said:

Wasnt this just someone asking if they look lazy if they use some free to use sprites from a doom resource website? Now were getting into the deep and heated discussion about brutal doom, compatibility, etc. Its his mod tbh, let him use those sprites if he wants. I dont think it really matters. Not to be rude but if you dont like it, then dont play his mod. Thats my input for OP and this topic.

indeed

and addressing the OPs original question... for me... its the end result that counts ... not the journey as such so I do not think it makes the OP lazy and i will have 0 impact on my desire to play his mod