Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thorogrimm

Seeking Mapping Advice

Question

As the title suggests, I'm seeking advice for mapping and currently I've finding some difficulty with my maps because I'm either running out of ideas or getting burnt out quickly. I'd like to ask if there's any advice to making maps, rules to follow (even though it's mostly free form) and ways to keep it interesting. I sometimes use screenshots from maps I've played or maps on the internet as ideas and inspiration.

A lot of my time is spent looking for the right textures and rarely know where to go afterwards because so much time is pent thinking about what looks nice rather than structuring the map well for gameplay, and that's most of the trouble I'm having. Is it often good to keep the textures and structures relatively simple if you're still kind of new to mapping? I have about 3 or so maps under my belt currently that I've managed to experiment in and learn different techniques but I still have a hard time trying to make the structure interesting.

Many thanks in advance, and I look forward to reading anyone's advice. Doom mapping is something I'm really passionate about and I'm still learning.

4 answers to this question

Well, I'm not sure I am Captain Fantastic, in terms of answering this............and I've only done a MEDIUM-SIZED amount of fooling around in Doom Builder, but:

My approach right now is just to get super comfortable making levels in 'pure' Doom II mode. 

Hmm, the advice I could give is, don't be like I was before and spend 2 hours frikking around with DBX and not doing actual progress. If you make something, then try to make is as good as you can while changing your point of view every 10 seconds, you won't see anything new so you'll eventually get unmotivated.

My technique against that is : Think before doing. If you turn your PC on with a clear idea of what you want to make, you'll make it quicker and thus will save time, energy and motivation. Use a sketchbook, just put your ideas in a text file or anywhere else. You'll be able to refine, change or add details to your idea without staring at your layout on your screen, which is frustrating af. Then, be like "Hmm, Imma make this archvile trap I thought of." and you'll know where you're going.

If you're suffering from mapper's block, you can also try new concepts (building a map around a midi you love, make the map follow a special shape, add constraints of size or anything else...). You could also join a community, like the Doom modding Discord, so you'll be able to get feedback and inspiration for your own projects.

Anyway, good luck for your mapping !

On 9/25/2020 at 8:40 PM, Thorogrimm said:

Is it often good to keep the textures and structures relatively simple if you're still kind of new to mapping?

I read somewhere on these forums that one should use no more than a 3-color theme for texturing a map. This would be in keeping with your concept of keeping textures relatively simple. If done properly, venturing outside the 3-color idea and using flashes of additional color can make for interesting visuals.

As for structures, you should probably experiment with what looks appealing to you. Creating spaces that are strictly orthogonal (i.e., only use right-angles) along an editor's grid could result in dull geometry. Therefore, work with non-orthogonal lines and those that don't always align with an editor's grid. Use elevation to your advantage - build spaces that are at different levels (heights). Throw in ledges and over-hangs and supports and pillars and windows and other architectural elements to break up the plainness of straight walls. In other words, your ambition ought to be to create structures that are not relatively simple.

I understand that your question was couched in the context of being new to mapping. Still, that should not be an impediment to striving for complex structures. Create what your current skill level allows, but aspire to more.

[However, keep in mind that whatever structures you create, they should not impede the flow of the game.]