Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Bourgeois Megawad, 30 Maps targeting Unity Port - NOW ON IDGAMES!

Guys I LOVED it I had so much fun in this WAD you wouldn't believe! Great work guys and I really hope that it makes it to console soon!

So, I found a little bug, just watch the green torch, I think it's called HOM

How it looks:

231697917_Capturadepantallade2021-03-1621-19-30.png.20fbb6a61997f79f078b784cd81ef653.png

How it should look:

1001116435_Capturadepantallade2021-03-1621-19-36.png.2dd03d69ff7824f496bcb7ee36dae8dd.png

It doesn't bother me, but I'm sure someone will not like it :/

I tested the map with chocolate-doom and lzdoom, the HOM is only seen in choco

I think it's because it's within the vpo limits for a crash, but it's like 127 right there so it causes that effect. So long as it doesn't actually crash it's fine.

I know this is mainly intended for deathmatch, but I've been having a lot of fun with these in single player. Short, but challenging maps are my favourite kind to play most of the time. I'm only about 1/3 of the way through, but all of the maps have been great so far.

On 3/17/2021 at 2:07 PM, Dubbag said:

Guys I LOVED it I had so much fun in this WAD you wouldn't believe! Great work guys and I really hope that it makes it to console soon!

Thanks a ton! I had a great time watching your video, man.

On 3/17/2021 at 2:22 PM, Lol 6 said:

It doesn't bother me, but I'm sure someone will not like it :/

An unfortunate result of vanilla limits.. We won't fix it since it's not a crash, but I still appreciate you looking for bugs!

On 3/18/2021 at 12:39 PM, jmac said:

I know this is mainly intended for deathmatch, but I've been having a lot of fun with these in single player. Short, but challenging maps are my favourite kind to play most of the time. I'm only about 1/3 of the way through, but all of the maps have been great so far.

That's fantastic to hear, hope you liked the last 2/3rds as well.

10 hours ago, Doomkid said:

An unfortunate result of vanilla limits.. We won't fix it since it's not a crash, but I still appreciate you looking for bugs!

Glad to help!

I've just downloaded this megawad so I have the BourgFix wad file, but every time a level finishes my PrBoom+ crashes an this error appears: "I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: signal 11"
Does anyone knows what it is or how to fix it?

(By the way I tested the old version and it works fine, guess I'll just have to deal with the "BIG BADDA BOOM" sound at the end of every level)

PrBoom+ error.png

Edited by PC2mill : Adding information

Unfortunately it seems to be something specific to prboom+, I remembered reading something about it here:

You'll have to use regular bourgdm.wad instead to avoid the crashing. Only difference is the barrel explosions at the end of each level!

Just as a follow up, maybe consider using DSDA Doom? It’s a branch of PrBoom+ with a good deal of bug fixes and quality of life improvements. Just suggesting it in case you haven’t heard about it! It’s rapidly become a favorite of mine.

Just want to give this a little bump for two reasons - one reason is because I've just released the Bourgeois Guns as their own standalone thing, but the second reason is that a player named SMOD FOREVER is doing some really entertaining commentated runs, similar to the ones Coincident did a few months back (which can be seen here). I really enjoyed those, and I'm really glad to see someone else doing it as well!

I played one map and already fell in love with this wad!

On 3/17/2021 at 11:54 AM, Decay said:

I think it's because it's within the vpo limits for a crash, but it's like 127 right there so it causes that effect. So long as it doesn't actually crash it's fine.

It's actually a Drawseg overflow, VP's never cause HOMS, they only crash the game. When a Drawseg is over its' set limit, it displays a HOM.

On 8/3/2021 at 12:50 AM, Doomkid said:

Just want to give this a little bump for two reasons - one reason is because I've just released the Bourgeois Guns as their own standalone thing, but the second reason is that a player named SMOD FOREVER is doing some really entertaining commentated runs, similar to the ones Coincident did a few months back (which can be seen here). I really enjoyed those, and I'm really glad to see someone else doing it as well!

Hey thanks for sharing my vids. I really enjoyed the single-player content in this wad. I was searching around for this thread because I wanted to post this video here rather than the videos thread:

If I had to pick one little slice of the wad to show people it would be this one. I love the verticality of MAP13, and there is some very clever monster placement such as the arachnotron looming over the slime pit with the supercharge, and the menacing cyberdemon at the start. I like how the first enemy you see is actually the boss you battle at the end of the map. While you get some heavy weapons quite early in the map, the big ammo is pretty tight and managing resources is quite important for a quick clear at the end. It really amazes me how you can squeeze coherent level progression out of non-linear DM arenas.

In contrast, MAP14 pits you against overwhelming odds at the start and forces you to suicide rush through the enemy lines for the big guns. But once you establish a foothold on the map, you get plenty of ammo and health to spray everything down with the BFG and Rockets in power fantasy fashion. Its quite the fascinating dichotomy from the previous level.

MAP15 is a mini slaughter map, and although I aired my grievances in the video about the lack of a shotgun at the start, it's really quite fun and never too harsh on the player. Again the wide offerings of map style here impress me a lot. Top notch stuff.

Really been enjoying watching your playthroughs, BiZ! Decay is really the main brain behind managing to convert these DM arenas into actually-fun-and-coherent SP experiences.. Your commentary while playing these has been a treat to listen to (also, every time I think the phrase "rev rockets" from here on out, I will always think of the "hot pockets!" jingle.. Since watching your first part of this playthrough it's been ingrained into my mind, lol!)

I feel like it'd be wrong for me not to post @BeefGee's playthrough here as well:

He's managed to increase awareness of this wad and I am eternally grateful! (One of his short clips from this playthrough is about to hit 100K views.. hot damn!)

While I have posted my praise to the unity port recommendation thread, I would also like to post it on the actual thread while I'm at it.  A few days ago had a friend who had only beaten the iwads and lunatic. He had tried some other wads but he hadn't beat any other than the one mentioned.  I figured that playing this coop would be fun, and it really was.  We had a single issue with my internet cutting out when playing the last level, but other than that we had an excellent time.  We played a bit of deathmatch but his experience with dm was the one time he was interested in trying it before, and we had played dwango 5 as I figured that anything more complicated wouldn't be accessible.  He had no issue with this set so I would say as a set of deathmatch maps they work well enough for newer players.  We didn't play it for too long only the first 2 maps were played in deathmatch.

23 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Really glad to hear you and your friend had a good time with it, Astronomical!

Speaking of that, as a mod you have the ability to change my name right? I didn't initially want to complain to any of the mods here but I might as well ask.

I actually checked and unfortunately I don't have an option to change user's names - I think Mordeth or Lut would be the men to ask.

I've decided to try Bourgeois out in Unity Doom (which is what the thing's targeted for, apparently) and, aside from no DMAPINFO even in the Unity-specific WAD, the thing crashes whenever I load MAP07 on the Ultra-Violence difficulty or higher. Really not sure why that happens, I couldn't find any crash reports from the port; and Chocolate Doom runs it just fine, so uh...

Oh man this thread got bumped on a Tuesday and for a split second I thought it must’ve been added to the Unity port. Oh well haha.

That's really strange. I just downloaded BourgFix.zip from idgames, loaded the unity version in the unity port, warped to Map07 and played through it on UV with no issues. Sorry this is happening but I'm sure the bug isn't on our end! As for the DMAPINFO not being included, that's just down to it not being all that necessary for this wad.

1 hour ago, Faceman2000 said:

Oh man this thread got bumped on a Tuesday and for a split second I thought it must’ve been added to the Unity port. Oh well haha.

If this wad were ever officially adopted in any capacity, I'd definitely go through the effort of making a DMAPINFO and whatever other tweaks may be necessary. One thing Decay and I were sure to keep in mind the whole time was flexibility for this reason!

22 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

That's really strange. I just downloaded BourgFix.zip from idgames, loaded the unity version in the unity port, warped to Map07 and played through it on UV with no issues. Sorry this is happening but I'm sure the bug isn't on our end! As for the DMAPINFO not being included, that's just down to it not being all that necessary for this wad.

til there's a bourgfix.zip

bourgfix is just saveyourhearing.wad basically. None of the maps were changed at all to maintain demo compatibility. There must be something else going on.

Out of curiosity, are the full midi credits available anywhere?

For instance, the music from map 8 is taken from the classic dos rpg "dark sun: shattered lands" (you can find the track on youtube under the name "sewers"), but I don't see this credited anywhere?  I realize it's hard to track credits since this was combined from many sources.

Thanks either way! 

Combined from many sources? All the custom textures are mspaint edits or recolours of existing doom2 textures and all the midis in bourgfix/bourgdm.wad are from the iwads or were made by doomkid. Not hard to track at all, just needs to be pointed out if the midi was original or not.

Thanks, for the response.   This is certainly a great wad with lots of nice original content, including the assets you mentioned.  Still, I was curious about this situation, so I dissected it further.

Map 8 uses the music from E1M3 (i.e., original wads as you mentioned, thanks!), which I'd somehow forgotten, even though it's also used in plutonia (without the midi pack).  It is by Bobby Prince.  Here's one version of it:

The music has a simple chord progression which plays four separate poly-notes for each chord, plus backing percussion.

The most similar music from the game Dark Sun can be found here:

It has a similar structure though it permutes the order of the poly-notes.  Earlier I was mentioning the track "Sewers" from dark sun (also on youtube), which is thematically similar but actually this track has more overlap.

Both games came out in 1993. It's really hard for me to discern what happened.  It's known that Bobby Prince took material from many sources, and this game Dark Sun also used midi for its music.  But they are close enough in time that it could have gone the other way, too, or been even more unclear.

On 1/5/2022 at 3:01 AM, Decay said:

bourgfix is just saveyourhearing.wad basically. None of the maps were changed at all to maintain demo compatibility. There must be something else going on.

...yeah, it probably is.

Because BourgFix_Unity.wad also crashes on MAP07-UV.

Unfortunately, I don't know what to tell you. If Doomkid has verified it working on his end, I can't even begin to speculate the problem.