Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Bourgeois Megawad, 30 Maps targeting Unity Port - NOW ON IDGAMES!

Thank you for everybody who has posted feedback, testing etc. It's been really helpful and I've tried to fix everything that's come along. We are anticipating final release within a week or so!

I put together a few quick sloppy runs, I will do all the maps. Playlist here

I just played (and completed) this yesterday on UV saveless. The maps are really fun and fairly easy with some hair raising moments here and there.

There is one oddity I noticed. On the map with 3 cyberdemons together with an invulnerability, when I exited the map, i didn't pistol start the next map and got to keep my stuff. Perhaps I had invulnerability at the point when I exited map but I don't remember.

Another nitpicks I have are:

• On the map with the 2 spidermasterminds and 2 cyberdemons guarding a key, is there a way to make them infight? The only (safe) way I could beat them was spamming plasma at them for which thankfully there is good amount of ammo, but time consuming. Maybe consider removing a cyber and/or a spider there.
  • Maybe I should replay the IOS map again but I really didn't figure out how or what made me teleport to the blue bars/killswitch area. Maybe make the teleport that got me there more obvious. Ignore this. My bad.
  • There are some pointless non-secrety secrets spread throughout the wad. I guess you can just remove the secret tags for these. 

I may try the maps again later to give more feedback.

Edited by ReaperAA

9 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

I just played (and completed) this yesterday on UV saveless. The maps are really fun and fairly easy with some hair raising moments here and there.

There is one oddity I noticed. On the map with 3 cyberdemons together with an invulnerability, when I exited the map, i didn't pistol start the next map and got to keep my stuff. Perhaps I had invulnerability at the point when I exited map but I don't remember.

Another nitpicks I have are:

• On the map with the 2 spidermasterminds and 2 cyberdemons guarding a key, is there a way to make them infight? The only (safe) way I could beat them was spamming plasma at them for which thankfully there is good amount of ammo, but time consuming. Maybe consider removing a cyber and/or a spider there.
  • Maybe I should replay the IOS map again but I really didn't figure out how or what made me teleport to the blue bars/killswitch area. Maybe make the teleport that got me there more obvious.
  • There are some pointless non-secrety secrets spread throughout the wad. I guess you can just remove the secret tags for these. 

I may try the maps again later to give more feedback.

There needs to be at least 1 secret in every map, otherwise it will show up as 0% in some ports. 

I've added now a bar that raises if you choose to grab that invuln, it takes long enough to wear it out. 

The map with the 2 cybers and masterminds I changed that encounter a bit as well so it won't be so bad.

Thanks for playing through it! I'm happy you played through saveless, that's really the way it's meant to be played. The maps are too short for save scumming.

Just wanted to drop by and say that this idea is awesome and I'm very happy to see the community trying to bridge the gap between source ports and the Unity port. The idea of taking Deathmatch levels and turning them into challenge-style Singleplayer levels was something I've heard of first time in an interview with 40oz where he mentioned doing the exact same thing. Personally, I think it's generally a good idea because of how the design philosophy of a good DM level is putting emphasis on flow and interconnectivity, and those aspects translate extremely well in a fast-paced, short but intense Singleplayer levels. 

I'm up to map 12 and have been enjoying this set so much. The added balancing to the weapons is a great touch in my opinion, and the design of the maps themselves was definitely competent. Can't wait to continue with this and hopefully there will be more to come in the future!

I didn't find anything to complain about honestly. The design for DM is obvious and I'm not a DM player so I can't comment too much about the design choices but texturing and layout was nicely done and classic. It's definitely has a good feel of flow and just running around the maps once I finished clearing everything helped me get the sensation of the DM vibes of each map.

I truly hope this will be picked up by the official addon support, especially since it's vanilla friendly. Thank you for making and sharing!

Edited by Uni : Small corrections 'cause English is hard.

Thanks for the kind words and endorsement for the Unity addon idea, it means a lot to us!

I'd like to give a special shoutout to the following people

@FrancisT18

@Keyboard_Doomer

@Terminus

@xvertigox

Because you 4 made the biggest impact on the single player component of the wad as I did tons of edits (quick or not) after your feedback, and it made the SP component so much stronger than I had originally envisioned. I don't usually make (or play) SP maps and since I did the majority of the SP component, your feedback was super valuable, so thank you!

The textfile has additional credits too. I look forward to seeing PVP play as well people doing some UV-Speed and UV-Max runs on this! Enjoy the release.

From what I've played so far this set is fantastic! I'm sure if we hit this up in DM I'll be equally as enthusiastic, the layouts on show here seem like they will flow very well, as is expected of such big names in the DM mapping scene! I hope this reaches it's goal of landing on the Unity port, it really would feel at home there imho! :)

The singleplayer is superb. Bitesized, fastpaced challenges that are very fun.

I really hope it will be accepted as an official addon, would love to play this splitscreen on the console.

The maps feel more accessible than Sigil's deathmatch levels, this makes them more suitable for playing with a controller.

Awesome wad! Very pleasent surprise seeing your tutorial wad you made in that one video make it in. Found really funny too how the level called Mazing used a TNT track! Just had one issue. On Level 13 I believe, the one with grey in the name, has a broken exit switch. Also, I remember playing one of the levels from 16-19, I don't know which one exactly, before in another wad . Was it remixed?

Edited by DSC

17 minutes ago, DSC said:

Awesome wad! Very pleasent surprise seeing your tutorial wad you made in that one video make it in. Found really too how the level called Mazing used a TNT track! Just had aone issue. On Level 13 I believe, the one with grey in the name, has a broken exit switch. Also, I remember playing one of the levels from 16-19, I don't know which one exactly, before in another wad . Was it remixed?

Ah for real, I just looked at it in DB and it seems that the problem is that it's too close to the door. Fuck!

I guess I should put up a more informative maplist, so you can check out and compare the originals to the demakes/remixes.

Map01: Darken - original 
Map02: Keepsake - Original
Map03: Solitary Refinement - AeonDM.pk3 aeon02: Solitaire
Map04: Tutorials Work - Original
Map05: Almighty Sweep - DBABRM.pk3 map05: Mighty Sweep
map06: Fade - DBABRM.pk3 map01: Fade
Map07: Tech Simple - original
Map08: Dwango'd Decay - Original
Map09: It's Not a Donut - Original
Map10: Broken Format - AeonDM aeon13: Broken Hearts
Map11: Operation Vanilla Extract - DBABRM map20: Operation Metal Xtract
Map12: Deactivation - NeonDM.pk3 Neon01: Activation
Map13: Grey Noise - Progduel2.pk3 map06: White Noise II
Map14: Joint Effort - Original
Map15: Chaotic Zone - DBABRM map10: Chaotic Field
map16: Brushed Off - AeonDM aeon05: Swept Away
Map17: Demon Base - Original
Map18: Skies the Limits - AeonDM aeon04: Techno Junky
Map19: Future Disrespect - NeonDM neon15: Future Retrospect
Map20: Wrong Format - AeonDM aeon19: Wrong Number
Map21: Pretending to be Original - DBAB3.pk3 map01: Pretending to be Original
Map22: Wango Tango - original
Map23: Hell's Decent - Original
Map24: Midnight Sacrifice - AeonDM aeon17: Midnight Temple
Map25: 'Mazing - original
Map26: Demade and Dismayed - AeonDM aeon22: Decayed and Conquered
Map27: Discommodius - AeonDM aeon01: Vanish
Map28: Spiritual World - AeonDM aeon11: Spiritual Awakening
Map29: Twighlight in September - Progduel2 map08: Nightfalls in October
Map30: Delineated Light - NeonDM neon12: Linear Light

Here's the wads:

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/wads.php?name=neondm.pk3

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/wads.php?name=aeondm.pk3

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/wads.php?name=progduel2.pk3

You can find Fade in progduel as well as slot map02, so you don't have to download dbabRM unless you want to, DBAB3.pk3 is the version that contains pretending

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/wads.php?name=dbab3.pk3

https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/wads.php?name=dbabrm.pk3

You'll need zandronum or gzdoom to run those, and maybe zandronum specifically for progduel, not sure.

5 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

From what I've played so far this set is fantastic! I'm sure if we hit this up in DM I'll be equally as enthusiastic, the layouts on show here seem like they will flow very well, as is expected of such big names in the DM mapping scene! I hope this reaches it's goal of landing on the Unity port, it really would feel at home there imho! :)

Maybe we will have to do some PVP or a survival coop stream sometime :)

5 hours ago, Seppe said:

The singleplayer is superb. Bitesized, fastpaced challenges that are very fun.

I really hope it will be accepted as an official addon, would love to play this splitscreen on the console.

The maps feel more accessible than Sigil's deathmatch levels, this makes them more suitable for playing with a controller.

Thank you! I never played Sigil so I'm not sure how it was done.

Here's map13 as an example since I had it open.

WMweymK.png

The PVP section is on the left, and was created first. To make the SP section, I doubled it, and removed all the stairs marked with red X's, and added the key gates in front of the teleport. Every map was refashioned in some way like this, so if you use noclip you can pop over to see the other side

Thanks so much to all of you for the lovely comments, it means a lot!

How in the hell we missed that broken switch after so many playthroughs and test videos is beyond me.. Good thing I haven’t submitted this to idgames yet! I guess we’ll have to release a renamed version of this wad which fixes that.

On 2/7/2021 at 10:55 AM, ReaperAA said:

Maybe I should replay the IOS map again but I really didn't figure out how or what made me teleport to the blue bars/killswitch area. Maybe make the teleport that got me there more obvious.

Ignore my dumb misunderstanding here. I played this map again using the new version. There are two teleports and one of them takes me to the exit switch. I don't know why I thought that both portals teleported to the blue key.

Want me to do a demo? :)

I'll figure out how to make a zip file in ubuntu and then I'll upload it tomorrow

Edit: Well, took me less time than I thought it would 

Bourgeois Deathmatch Map02: Keepsake UV-MAX in 3:14 Min by :[Lol 6]:

Zip: brg02m314.zip

Tell me if it desyncs (and where if it happens) and your opinions too, I'd like to hear them

Edit 2: Hey, I didn't know the wad was in dsda, maybe you'll see my name there soon ;)

imagen.png.13cd758c31b016d168ee2b4c5775baa6.png

Edited by Lol 6 : Added another edit

Some of the best monster placement I've ever seen! The maps always looked great and I thought I was going to feel left out by it being only deathmatch because of an unreliable internet connection, but the singleplayer delivers on all fronts! As difficult as it is (for me anyway), the maps are short enough that I never feel the need to save mid map; and when I do die, I get that rush of "one more round" similar to the deathmatch experience. I did manage to keep a stable connection long enough to join the cacophony of madness during your stream, and I actually did really well for about two rounds!

Anyway, killer maps! I meant to say something a few weeks ago when I played through it all. The last map has a great concept, and actually took me a while to figure it out. I look forward to playing this again, and congrats on the release! Apologies for all the exclamation marks, I realize that I'm just typing, not shouting.

Congrats on the idgames release!

I hope it makes its way to the Unity port as well.

7 hours ago, Lol 6 said:

I'll figure out how to make a zip file in ubuntu and then I'll upload it tomorrow

Edit: Well, took me less time than I thought it would 

Bourgeois Deathmatch Map02: Keepsake UV-MAX in 3:14 Min by :[Lol 6]:

Zip: brg02m314.zip

Tell me if it desyncs (and where if it happens) and your opinions too, I'd like to hear them

Edit 2: Hey, I didn't know the wad was in dsda, maybe you'll see my name there soon ;)

imagen.png.13cd758c31b016d168ee2b4c5775baa6.png

Here's a thread for demos!

2 hours ago, Decay said:

Here's a thread for demos!

Excellent, then I'll upload them there, but the demo I sent here was an "informal" run, just for fun

On 3/14/2021 at 3:23 PM, dmslr said:

Yes @sponge. These men right here.

*crosses fingers*

On 3/14/2021 at 3:34 PM, Lol 6 said:

Hell yes, I'll watch 'em!

On 3/14/2021 at 8:51 PM, Valboom said:

Congratulations on the release!

Thank you!

On 3/14/2021 at 9:09 PM, Lippeth said:

Apologies for all the exclamation marks, I realize that I'm just typing, not shouting.

It's ok! I shout via text all the time! Really! It's no problem!!

(thank you for the glowing review, Lippeth)

On 3/14/2021 at 9:43 PM, ReaperAA said:

Congrats on the idgames release!

I hope it makes its way to the Unity port as well.

Thank you, I'd be ecstatic if I knew the console players had their own dedicated DM wad :)

I'm definitely having some intense fun with this. Will let you know if there are any more bugs to find but hey I'm getting Swift Death vibes.

Edit: And I'm done. I love a good "get-off-of-work-then-play-a-megawad-with short-but-fun-in-a-day" megawad and this delivered. Satisfying that I didn't run into bugs too.

Edited by NuMetalManiak

Glad to hear you had a good time :) The more opinions the better! I never played swift death (or much SP in general) so it's a bit hard for me to understand where people are coming from when comparing their single player experiences, but that's okay! I tried my best on the SP portion of these maps and anything for improving (should I make future maps) is worth reading.

I've came across some sort of bug. So I was messing about playing on nomonsters. Then I exit from map 03 to map 04 and then spawned with 0% health and can't shoot or pickup anything. Not sure how this has happened, I play on PRBoom+ 2.5.1.7. I replayed the demo on version 2.5.1.5 and yeah, the bug still happens just to make sure it wasn't strictly the one version I speedrun. First time I've experience this, I have played maps with death exits before and this hasn't happened. Not sure this happens on any other sourceports like gzdoom. This is probably quite rare to happen but I can see it being frustrating if it happens when someone is attempting a d2all for example. A fix if it is possible would be nice. Here is the demo to take a look at it.

runningdead.zip

That's really weird, because I did do a d2all nomo run without any issues on prboom+, and I tried to replicate that just now and could not, at least on dsda doom. I have no idea why that might be happening.

6 hours ago, TomatoTom said:

I've came across some sort of bug. So I was messing about playing on nomonsters. Then I exit from map 03 to map 04 and then spawned with 0% health and can't shoot or pickup anything. Not sure how this has happened, I play on PRBoom+ 2.5.1.7. I replayed the demo on version 2.5.1.5 and yeah, the bug still happens just to make sure it wasn't strictly the one version I speedrun. First time I've experience this, I have played maps with death exits before and this hasn't happened. Not sure this happens on any other sourceports like gzdoom. This is probably quite rare to happen but I can see it being frustrating if it happens when someone is attempting a d2all for example. A fix if it is possible would be nice. Here is the demo to take a look at it.

runningdead.zip

That's the "zombie player" effect, which occurs when a player is killed by damage to a voodoo doll without the voodoo doll itself dying, as described in the Doom Wiki and in decino's video on voodoo dolls. Seems that something very peculiar happened in your demo regarding the order in which damage was applied to you and the voodoo doll and when you exited, and I don't know how to consistently reproduce that (or avoid it).

Edited by Shepardus

Man, I thought our death exits were fool proof! The thought of a player’s voodoo doll not dying never occurred to me, I thought they were all placed to be instantly telefragged.. If not we may have to do a quick fix of some sort. Glad you guys noticed this!