Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ashurion Neonix

What are some fun an creative ways to make doom as unplayable as possible?

Sometimes when I'm bored I like to run doom and heretic quest as pwads in Chex quest with the green and magenta anaglyph. Doing this will cause heretic to load up with a broken pallette, doom 2 enemies and random Chex decorations everywhere. https://imgur.com/a/oOUzss0 Another thing I like to do is open vanilla maps and replace all the textures with fireblu and exit signs.  I was just wondering if there were any other settings I could tweak to simulate doomguy going on an acid trip and to hopefully make doom 2 as unplayable and broken as possible.

Edited by Ashurion Neonix

I mean this isn't really a graphical way of making the game unplayable, but you could try mapping the controls to a guitar hero controller.

Flip the controls. Up is down, left is right, shoot is strafe, use is automap.

All ennemies's attacks become hitscan instead of projectiles.

4 minutes ago, Roofi said:

All ennemies's attacks become hitscan instead of projectiles.

Such a game already exists:

Load Doom on an old, bogged down, poorly formatted 486 that struggles to do any basic tasks.  If the little light isn't constantly blinking for hdd operations it needs more corrupting.

Load it on a 386 processor but keep the settings on high detail and don't shrink screen size. Also make sure to use this keyboard with it.

37 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Make it crash. I think that makes it pretty unplayable. 

Play frog and toad map32. It's designed to crash prboom+ every other time and also crashes the map editor. You'll see why it crashes the editor after playing for a good 20 min.

17 minutes ago, Starduster said:

Play frog and toad map32. It's designed to crash prboom+ every other time and also crashes the map editor. You'll see why it crashes the editor after playing for a good 20 min.

I still don't know why it crashes and I've spent more than 20 minutes playing it  monkaHmm

17 minutes ago, Lucky_Edie said:

I still don't know why it crashes and I've spent more than 20 minutes playing it  monkaHmm

Probably some script that can be found by digging through the different lumps in slade. Ribbiks would know how to do that, lol.

I challenge you to try turning the monitor off.

Literally, see if you can beat Map01 by nothing but monster noises and UNFing your way around the level. 

One fun and creative way I have done to make doom as unplayable as possible is probably through completely messing around with all the settings, and also adding every single mod in my folder and playing them all at once. XD

Lilith.pk3

I unironically love this WAD for the amazing degree which it fucks up ZDoom. Very neat.

You can always load The Sky May Be's dehacked file as a gameplay mod if you're looking for a little pain fun.

3 hours ago, Bauul said:

I challenge you to try turning the monitor off.

Literally, see if you can beat Map01 by nothing but monster noises and UNFing your way around the level. 

Tarnsman played episodes 1 through 3 of Doom 1 like this. It was on ITYTD, but I think any harder than that would have been straight-up impossible.

35 minutes ago, Deathclaw886 said:

i havent, and i dont plan on it, looks like it would mess my system up

It doesn't pose any risk to your computer. It just looks and sounds fucked up.

4 minutes ago, cambreaKer said:

play uv automap only

I actually just tried this with iddt*2 enabled in glboom+, with the classic style thing drawing because I forgot how to enable the detailed ones, and surprisingly it's actually quite playable and fun (at least, I was able to beat doom2 map01 and also E1M2 on UV so far). With everything shown as little triangles it kind of feels like playing a very complicated game of asteroids. The hardest part is that you can't tell what any of the enemies or resources are except by memory or sound cues, and it's also difficult to tell if doors and lifts are up or down except by bumping into them and humping until you get some kind of feedback. But it is playable.

Here's a simple one, disable move forward and moonwalk/moonstrafe your way through an episode.