Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViolentBeetle

[Now on IdGames] Hellevator - 32 maps Community Project Boom Megawad

Count me in, boss. Quick question, if this is a speedmapping project, is there a set time limit we have to abide by?

A kind of spiritual successor to Cyriak's notorious Going Down? Sounds like a neat idea to me! Just don't make it as relentlessly difficult please hehe ;^)

I updated rules on weapon progression, please take note. Also I realized it should be spelled Hellevator so I fixed it. Don't know what got into me.

Overall, the aim is to make as many maps as possible in a month. I think the most practical would be to claim a slot and then have 72 hours to turn it in.

I think this could be fun. What sort of mapping skill are you looking for?

Also will this have a discord or is it just in this forum?

We'll move on discord when time comes. One of the existing channel's owners offered to host it, so we'll probably go there rather than creating yet another channel. This will remain as back-up communication platform.

Understanding the basics of layout making and balance is obviously important, but I don't have a very high bar. If Boom is the problem for you, you can settle for only using Doom 2 actions, all the mandatory things has been set up in the template.

id say im fine with Boom. I might actually join this, Im sort of doing these sort of community things to get better at mapping and this could be one of em. Sign me up!

Cool concept. I'm actually interested joining, but i'm not entirely sure. But for know, consider i'm in.

I hope you're being serious and now how to organize community project, also willing to look for more mappers.

(Maybe you should add "Community Project" or "Looking for mappers" in the title, just to let people know)

Edited by Dranyan

44 minutes ago, Dranyan said:

(Maybe you should add "Community Project" or "Looking for mappers" in the title, just to let people know)

Why not both :)

I have some questions

1. How does the speedmapping work? Do we claim a specific map slot, then the 72 hour countdown begins? What if we are busy and can only map at certain times?
  2. Will you be providing tileable skies?
  3. Can I include a custom midi for my level?
  4. Can I add colormap files for deep water effects?
  5. Can I modify the elevator exit switch in my map so that it specifically requires the red keycard, so I can also use the red skull key elsewhere?
  6. Will the outside of the tower have a consistent look throughout the wad, or does that matter?

7 hours ago, Captain Toenail said:

I have some questions

1. How does the speedmapping work? Do we claim a specific map slot, then the 72 hour countdown begins? What if we are busy and can only map at certain times?
  2. Will you be providing tileable skies?
  3. Can I include a custom midi for my level?
  4. Can I add colormap files for deep water effects?
  5. Can I modify the elevator exit switch in my map so that it specifically requires the red keycard, so I can also use the red skull key elsewhere?
  6. Will the outside of the tower have a consistent look throughout the wad, or does that matter?
  1. You claim a specific map and countdown starts. You should do it when you are confident you will be able to finish.
  2. Hopefully. I haven't found any to my liking yet, though, so if you have any suggestions, that'd be great.
  3. Of course, as long as you are able to credit it properly.
  4. I'm not sure how it works, but probably.
  5. I would prefer you didn't do it to avoid confusion, but if you absolutely must I will allow it.
  6. Yes, it should have consistent shape and texture. I will decide on what exact texture when we start.

I loved going down, this sounds super fun and I'll definitely take a map or two.

I have added a few stylistic guidelines. A feedback is welcome.

All the rules will be rewritten in a single unified code when mapping starts.

2 minutes ago, Captain Toenail said:

Thanks for the info ViolentBeetle. I have a great idea for a later map. Will the project be starting soon?

The elevator release and claiming process will be open on October 1st.

Is the "the X floor" naming scheme concrete, or will there be some play for creativity? Like rather than have "the lobby" it could be "lobby of doom" or "square 1", or something as example.

Not a big or important question, just wondering if it is going to be "the grave room", "the tech-sinew room", "the gloomwood room"? And such.

This sounds super interesting and fun, but I'm not very good at making maps, only made maps in doom in doom 2 format, and have idea how to use voodoo dolls. Can I still try my hand at making a map?