Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfredo

Flawed Symmetry: A challenging speedmap

Hello everyone. I tried to challenge myself this time to make a wad with less than 100 monsters and relatively small in size. I made this within a few hours and finished it on my birthday today. It is a fairly challenging map, so I hope everyone has a good time. 

Enjoy my birthday speedmap!

1 map from scratch

Requires GZDoom

Compatability UDMF

Less than 100 monsters.

Only one difficulty.

Replaces Map01 of Doom 2

Screenshot_Doom_20200926_110254.png.854f60a6637c36659c0798f7520cd02b.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200926_110329.png.e4fe4335568be46f1bd4292ea7338bbe.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200926_110304.png.00fc9ffd75d289a149cadb8e746df3ad.png

Download: Flawed Symmetry.zip

Woof, this was a doozy, mate. You made absolute mince-meat out of me and even though I got frustrated at points, your cruelty is well-balanced and there's a clear way to win if you persist, which I did. Tough-as-nails but also really cool, solid map that's guaranteed to put a Doomer's skills to the test. I haven't played a great deal of speedmaps, but this is definitely a stand-out for me. Great stuff, dude.

Let's see if we can get some more playtesters in on this: @Clippy @Zolgia108 @Suitepee @mArt1And00m3r11339 @Horus Any of you fine gentlemen fancy giving this one a spin?

hey m8 i played it yesterday actually, and even recorded it :)  @Biodegradable

i will see if i can upload the video tonight. Anyway, i died like 1000 times on the caco spiders room (most of the times because i fell down in the pit and i was low on health) ahhahaah. Actually the main problems were my mid saves in terrible situations (like low health with no resources left for example). I'd love to see these two arenas in a bigger map as setpieces.

I laughed a lot, i was playing relaxed, i didn't expect a challenge to be honest. 

Fights were very well conceived and it was a fun experience.

Keep it up!

On 9/27/2020 at 2:08 AM, Zolgia108 said:

hey m8 i played it yesterday actually, and even recorded it :)  @Biodegradable

i will see if i can upload the video tonight. Anyway, i died like 1000 times on the caco spiders room (most of the times because i fell down in the pit and i was low on health) ahhahaah. Actually the main problems were my mid saves in terrible situations (like low health with no resources left for example). I'd love to see these two arenas in a bigger map as setpieces.

I laughed a lot, i was playing relaxed, i didn't expect a challenge to be honest. 

Fights were very well conceived and it was a fun experience.

Keep it up!

I'd be interested in seeing this video :)

2 hours ago, Clippy said:

I couldn't get out of that opening room, ever, I tried so many times :(

I've found that focusing on the Mancubi first tends to get me out of the room alive most consistently. Its definitely doable, albiet the toughest part of the map.

2 hours ago, Clippy said:

I couldn't get out of that opening room, ever, I tried so many times :(

The trick here is shoot a Mancubus, get to a corner and try to kill an outside Revenant as fast as possible while keeping the Pinkies in mind. Then make work of the Mancubus you have just damaged, proceed to kill even more ledged Revenants and Pinky stragglers, and the rest of the room should be manageable. You have to keep moving, don't stop for too long.

Here's my UV gameplay footage if you are confused. Fine map btw, all things I needed to say are on Discord and in the vid already.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

Flawed Symmetry: A challenging speedmap

Deaths: 3
Saves: 1

Screenshot_Doom_20200930_212456.png.2dfcf95e7a56adbd8d38987b1219c397.png

Well, being a challenge, he really deserves it, he really proves cruel at first, Pinkys all over the place, Mancubus on top of platforms, Revenants ready to fire their missiles, chaingunners in groups, heck, really screwed up in a The beginning, or at least it was for me in just 2 attempts, since the last one, oddly enough, was the charm, the one that would grant me the escape pass from that fucking cage that had me locked there, well... For later, dealing with the Chaingunners was not really complicated, at least one imp saved my life by being a small shield for me against the Chaingunner that shot him, and using the Super Shotgun, I made my way down a path that He took me to a wall where he could be safe from any attack, since only 2 imps were there, taking the medicine cabinet that was there, save the game, and only there he continued to kill them all at the cost of losing, I had to do all that stuff again do, but no, apparently, luck was on my side at the time, and what happened next, well, the image explains it better than I comment. Something to highlight about the wad, was the appearance of Cacodemons and Arachnatrons everywhere, and... damn, it felt like I was playing Russian roulette, but in a more personal way than I had imagined. Anyway, I managed to complete it without stressing out, and that's a good thing, quite a good thing for me, even more so taking into account the "Archvile Surprise" at the end, but hey, it was completed anyway :-]

Edited by ElPadrecitoCholo

Fun little map with some teeth. The only thing I didn't like was being plinked at u chain gunners from across the map after you leave the opening room. Other wise a bunch of solid set ups.