Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oldschoolgeek32

Which version of Doom Builder is best?

Recommended Posts

Hi there, I am currently using Doom Builder 2 for most of my wads. But I am curious since I've heard there's an "Ultimate Doom Builder" and the "GZDoom builder." Which one is highly recommended and best for both mapping vanilla style wads and more complex wads?

 

Any response and advice is very much appreciated! :)

Thank you!!!

Share this post


Link to post

You may as well get Doom Builder X. It's almost identical to Doom Builder 2, but better and still supported*. Ultimate Doom Builder has some differences and more features, so check out those two and decide which you like. I have found X to have better performance, but there is a feature or two I wish it had.

 

 

*citation needed

Share this post


Link to post

I recommend early Gzdoom builders cuz they have imho the most flexible line drawing mode. (While newer ones be something like: "I won't draw vertices on top of each other, it's illegal" - "ok, then go to the trash bin")

 

Also entering into 3d mode in Gzdoom builders is more comfy than in DB2: just have your cursor in a spot where you want to go and click Q. No need to spawn visual camera every time you want to enter 3d mode

 

I use GZDB 1.14

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, SilverMiner said:

I recommend early Gzdoom builders cuz they have imho the most flexible line drawing mode. (While newer ones be something like: "I won't draw vertices on top of each other, it's illegal" - "ok, then go to the trash bin")

 

Also entering into 3d mode in Gzdoom builders is more comfy than in DB2: just have your cursor in a spot where you want to go and click Q. No need to spawn visual camera every time you want to enter 3d mode

 

I use GZDB 1.14

Ah Nice! Thanks for the advice! :)

Share this post


Link to post

What I personally use is Ultimate Doom Builder but I've heard from people here that if you're not too fussed about UDMF maps that Doom Builder X is the way to go as it's less cluttered. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post

I used DB2 before, I now use Doom Builder X. It has a few more advanced features like automap mode, sound environment mode and stuff. But I have never used GZDB or UDB, so I don't know if those have them too.

Share this post


Link to post

Ultimate Doom Builder imo is the way to go but it all comes down to personal preference. UDB is still in active development while to my knowledge the other doom builders aren't active anymore (So that means no new things for them)

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, TheEvilGrin said:

It has a few more advanced features like automap mode, sound environment mode and stuff.

 

Those modes were originally developed for GZDB, so yes, GZDB(-BF) and UDB have them, too.

Share this post


Link to post

I think UDB is the best currently. I havent tried X yet so I cant comment on it. But I will say UDB has saved me hours of time and is just so damn good.

Share this post


Link to post

Ulitimate Doom Builder is the best editor. Constantly updated and improved, the most stable editor and the devs are always open to advice/suggestions and fix bugs unbelievably quickly. The only reason so not use UDB is if you have a machine that cannot run it. 
 

4 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

I recommend early Gzdoom builders cuz they have imho the most flexible line drawing mode. (While newer ones be something like: "I won't draw vertices on top of each other, it's illegal" - "ok, then go to the trash bin")

This is just ... bad advice based on something that isn't true

Share this post


Link to post

@Bridgeburner56  What's wrong I said? Are you just trying to find a shit in a field of flowers?

EDIT:

Yeah, I'm wrong about stating that modern GZDBs (including UDB) can't draw vertices on top of each other, I actually meant that you can't restart line drawing by pressing Ctrl+D like in early GZDBs and DB2 (it just makes the latest drawn line turn red and back to yellow). New line drawing mechanics are kinda unhandy to me so I don't recommend new builders (I hadn't tried DBX yet but I wish it's more handy than UDB)

Edited by SilverMiner

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, magicsofa said:

Wow I need to get on this UDB train, for some reason I thought GZ was the most current one

I've recently switched from GZDB to UDB, to be fair I didn't notice much of a difference at first hand, which is good because now I'm using a more current version without having to adapt again. It also loaded my custom configs for GZDB so I didn't have to map all my keys again, thank goodness

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

@Bridgeburner56  What's wrong I said? Are you just trying to find a shit in a field of flowers?

EDIT:

Yeah, I'm wrong about stating that modern GZDBs (including UDB) can't draw vertices on top of each other, I actually meant that you can't restart line drawing by pressing Ctrl+D like in early GZDBs and DB2 (it just makes the latest drawn line turn red and back to yellow). New line drawing mechanics are kinda unhandy to me so I don't recommend new builders (I hadn't tried DBX yet but I wish it's more handy than UDB)

You can bind draw mode to whatever shortcut you want and ctrl-d is the default in UDB. This has never changed afaik.

And advising people to use outdated editors that are no longer maintained when there are current versions that are infinitely better is a shit in a field of, well shit.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

You can bind draw mode to whatever shortcut you want and ctrl-d is the default in UDB.

Read what exactly I wrote about line drawing and don't paraphrase me, otherwise you have nothing against what I said

22 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

And advising people to use outdated editors that are no longer maintained when there are current versions that are infinitely better is a shit in a field of, well shit.

Newer doesn't mean better.

My advice is just my opinion. I actually see nothing bad in using UDB ;)

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

 

Newer doesn't mean better.

 

Good luck trying to use UDMF Slope handles in old Doom Builder...

 

Also wha you said about UDB not being able to redraw lines is wrong.

I am able to restart drawing unfinished lines and i have always been able to do this since GZDB.

 

Seems like this is a recommendation based on not knowing how to use the tools.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×