Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
icecoldduke

Quake 1/Hexen 2 - DirectX Raytracing

Some people have been asking about performance. On my 3080 FE, the raytracing takes 6.2 ms and the compute shader that does the blur takes 0.4ms.

metrics.png

Here's Quake 1, I moved over the raytracing code I wrote in Hexen 2 to Quake 1.

Edited by icecoldduke

I can't seem to get the Quake map to fully load. I added my pak0 and pak1 in the id1 folder and ran the bat file, I get a white screen like it's about to load, then it closes. I'm using an RTX 2080 Super and I'm running DirectX 12, though it's likely that I'm doing something wrong. The video looks great though, I've never seen metal so reflective!

2 minutes ago, Lippeth said:

I can't seem to get the Quake map to fully load. I added my pak0 and pak1 in the id1 folder and ran the bat file, I get a white screen like it's about to load, then it closes. I'm using an RTX 2080 Super and I'm running DirectX 12, though it's likely that I'm doing something wrong. The video looks great though, I've never seen metal so reflective!

I updated the binaries re-download the build it should work now :), remember to run run.bat. 

It works, thank you! That sky is unintentionally amazing by the way, I wonder if it could be replicated to use for something that could benefit from it.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Lippeth said:

It works, thank you! That sky is unintentionally amazing by the way, I wonder if it could be replicated to use for something that could benefit from it.

giphy.gif

Yeah the sky does look pretty cool(even though that's completely unintentional). Thank you for your support :). Just curious what did you think about the rest of the build? 

Edited by icecoldduke

Overall I like where it's headed! I will say that seeing that type of rusty metal being so reflective doesn't exactly look appropriate, but it looks cool! I can see the application on surfaces like water and computer screens. The technical aspect of all this is way beyond my grasp, but it's absolutely impressive!

What's funny is that the UI isn't exactly broken, it just doesn't display. I was able to exit by pressing esc, the up arrow (to cycle to the bottom) and enter. So I guess it works, but I did have to import my own config in order to control anything comfortably, and the weapons got extremely wonky with my settings but functioned well enough. There is a big overlay of two intersecting black lines for the whole thing on my end, though it's too small to see in the gif.

Awesome, job! I'm excited to see how all this develops! And I'm enamored with that static sky for whatever reason, there's got to be a good use for that look in something.

I do have the reflection turned up for testing, the next build will have mostly fixed UI, sorry that it didn't make it into this build, it will be in the next build.

uifixed.png

I'll do my best to give proper feedback and I'll try to check out every build. I don't imagine RTX cards are that common on a retro gaming forum, and I want any excuse to justify having bought one, and while Quake 2 RTX is great, I like playing Quake 1 and Hexen 2 more. Keep in mind that I'm not a confident tester, have only entry level knowledge of programming, and know even less how raytracing works...but I have a card that supports it and enjoy the games, so hopefully I'm not completely useless for feedback. I also plan to do more research so I can better understand and appreciate what exactly goes into it and what to pay attention to.

So this is still using the precomputed lightmaps? I understand why Quake 2 RTX ditched it in favor of environmental lighting, but it always looks really bad to me in videos since the maps were obviously never designed for that.

However, we actually have the source code of the Quake 1 maps thanks to Romero! I am very curious if the light placements from those could be used to end up with a fully dynamic version of the original lighting. 

22 minutes ago, david_a said:

So this is still using the precomputed lightmaps? I understand why Quake 2 RTX ditched it in favor of environmental lighting, but it always looks really bad to me in videos since the maps were obviously never designed for that.

However, we actually have the source code of the Quake 1 maps thanks to Romero! I am very curious if the light placements from those could be used to end up with a fully dynamic version of the original lighting. 

This is not using the precompiled light maps :) The lighting you see in the videos is all realtime raytracing. Again, all lighting in these videos is real time. 

Quake 1 DirectX Raytracing Alpha 4 release:

Fixed a bug with reflections
Added vertex normal based lighting.
Changed attenuation to match qlight.

Fixed vertical line issue.

Fixed a D3D12 device lost crash.

Added rtlights Added color light support.

Refreg entities(static objects) now show up(torches, flames, etc).

Added raytrace shadow opt out flag for models.

Fixed a bug were UI characters wouldn't render(signed char was being used).

Fixed multiplayer UI being in the wrong spot.

Some people have been asking about the Hexen 2 DirectX Raytracing bits, were this project started, I just moved over all of the Quake 1 DirectX Raytracing Alpha 5 progress back over to the Hexen 2 RTX branch. To get the best visual gains were going to need someone to go in and create rtlights for all the maps. This is just using the stock light placements.