Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KeaganDunn

What are your personal pet peeves in mapmaking?

Examples (and some of mine personally) include:

- Obvious unpegged textures

- Secrets containing a supercharge/megasphere that is actually a trap, and has you end up with much less health than before, rendering the secret useless

- Large and empty rooms (There's categories called Decorations, Light Sources, and Obstacles, M8)

- Secrets that are completely impossible to notice/figure out

- Being forced to fight large groups of medium- or high-tier monsters with severe shortage of ammo and room to move around

- TerryWADs. Enough said.

What are some of yours?

I some time ago made a terrywad, but not for doom, but for touhou danmakufu xD

Someday i will upload a video playing it :)

14 hours ago, URROVA said:

I some time ago made a terrywad, but not for doom, but for touhou danmakufu xD

Someday i will upload a video playing it :)

What? How? You can make Terry Wads in Touhou Danmakufu?

20 minutes ago, HitBoi64 said:

What? How? You can make Terry Wads in Touhou Danmakufu?

Im very noob on danmakufu programming but i know enough to make a danmakufu terry trap

Texture placement issues. I swear to God if I had a dime for every misaligned texture or two textures without an actual transition, I would never have to work a day in my life.

Unpegged DOORTRAKs for sure.

Personally I'm not a fan of having to fight anything above like a Hell Knight with a pistol (I hate the start of E3M1 for this reason), but I don't know if that's just me being bad. Forcing infighting as a mandatory strategy for defeating enemies too. I'm sure there's clever way to implement it but if you have to infight because you don't have enough ammo that's just a slog.

1 hour ago, Pokemanic33 said:

Personally I'm not a fan of having to fight anything above like a Hell Knight with a pistol

You are willing to fight a Hell Knight with a pistol? Have you considering giving master classes in patience to Buddhist monks?

1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

You are willing to fight a Hell Knight with a pistol? Have you considering giving master classes in patience to Buddhist monks?

I’m confused by his willingness to fight Hell Knights with pistol but hatred for the Cacodemon/pistol fight. Cacos have a whole lot less than a Hell Knight haha.

Personally I hate even pistoling Pinkies. Or multiple imps. Or for just longer than thirty seconds in general haha. Gimme dat shotgun.

Bad item placement. A medikit in front of a switch when the map is hella hard but you're at 98% health? You just wasted 23% of health right before triggering a difficult battle! Also, multiple health or ammo items in the same spot, and stuff like placing a soulsphere in front of medikits with no way to walk around it.

I havent done too much mapping cause im relatively new, but Ive been having both issues with motivation and also importing new textures, especially from OTEX, where there's a hell of a lot of textures.

Unobtainable weapon pickups. You kill a group of blocked-off hitscanners, but there's no way to get their ammo.

I sometimes make ugly things with polyobjects, in several cases these crashes or appear on unintended places

Using regular door textures for switch-activated doors, like at the end of E1M7. If it looks like a door, I want it to be openable. Those things annoy me more than locked doors with no key color indicators.