Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Videgraphaphizer

Mystery DOOM Coins - assistance needed

I've been collecting DOOM merch over the past several months, and I've stumbled across some unusual things. Perhaps the strangest is this "set" of coins. I put "set" in quotes because, frankly, I have no idea if these coins are related to each other in any way.

All of these coins were purchased off of eBay by second-hand sellers. Neither of the two sources were able to provide me information on where they came from. I'm also aware of the existence of the military challenge coins, but these don't match those.

CoinObversesSmall.png

CoinReversesSmall.png

Could you go to your purchase history and link the page where you got them from? Because right now, I believe that those are just fan-made. The only official coins are for Eternal I believe (and a Si6il coin by Romero). I circled some things that look strange to me. image.png.57c005f229185be93ad0c22fe1ae3327.png

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Could you go to your purchase history and link the page where you got them from? Because right now, I believe that those are just fan-made. The only official coins are for Eternal I believe (and a Si6il coin by Romero). I circled some things that look strange to me. image.png.57c005f229185be93ad0c22fe1ae3327.png

Can you elaborate on what makes them look strange?

There are a number of official coins: the silver and gold 25th anniversary coins; the Makyr coin most recently released; and, closest to these, the military promo coins for both 2016 and Eternal. The thing that makes me question if this isn't fanmade is that the enamel coin here is, to me, higher quality than the official D:E coin released (pictured below).

DoomMilitaryChallengeCoinSmall.png.af56e7668ca9ae2ec07e81ff56c9d2f9.png

I don't have the 2016 coin yet, but it's completely different in design. (Image courtesy of Snoopy101x on imgur)

fm3DEyF.jpg

Here are the links to the coins currently available.

DOOM I: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Doom-Collectors-Challenge-Coin/293753593757?hash=item4465141f9d:g:VIkAAOSwGyteqIR9
DOOM II: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Doom-II-Collectors-Challenge-Coin/293753593094?hash=item4465141d06:g:eCUAAOSws6ReqIVS
DOOM ETERNAL: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Doom-Eternal-Collectors-Challenge-Coin/293753592594?hash=item4465141b12:g:O1AAAOSw8Rte~Ofr

I purchased the D:E coin from a different seller and that listing is no longer up, but I should note that both sellers are from the Clearwater, FL, area. If it is fan-made, I think it's likely that they were produced - or at least ordered - by someone there.

The main thing that makes me question it is sloppiness. With the first coin, the main thing is that Doomguys helmet looks like a gas mask. The second one looks like it has strange dents in it, which makes me think it wasn't mass produced. and the Eternal one has a dent on the end of the "M," all the demons look strange, and that one at the bottom is placed at such a weird angle, that it just looks like it doesn't belong. The listings that you shared are all from Florida, too. With quick research, I learned Dunedin Florida is the next town over from Clearwater, and is only a 9 minute drive. I think these coins might have been produced, but only in a local area. 

My guess (and bear in mind, this is a complete guess) is that they are unofficial rounds made by a fan / Etsy seller.

I deal with bullion quite a bit and very often see copper or bronze plated with gold or silver copies of “real” rounds (search “silver buffalo” on eBay and see how many say “clad” or 999mil - both of witch mean not solid gold or silver) and they often look quite similar in their errors and what not to those ones due to the plaster casting etc.

That said though, that’s not necessarily a bad thing and they look really cool so might even buy a few myself :-D

On 9/29/2020 at 9:16 AM, DooM Bear said:

My guess (and bear in mind, this is a complete guess) is that they are unofficial rounds made by a fan / Etsy seller.

I deal with bullion quite a bit and very often see copper or bronze plated with gold or silver copies of “real” rounds (search “silver buffalo” on eBay and see how many say “clad” or 999mil - both of witch mean not solid gold or silver) and they often look quite similar in their errors and what not to those ones due to the plaster casting etc.

That said though, that’s not necessarily a bad thing and they look really cool so might even buy a few myself :-D

Oh, I doubt any of these are made with precious metals. Most likely some sort of zinc alloy, since the coins I get from the Bethesda store are that same material.

But yeah, it's looking more and more to me like these are some sort of fan project. I'm kind of dismayed because I was hoping that they were maybe prototypes, or some obscure limited production thing. I still think they're of higher quality than the military coin that was shipped out. But at the very least, I still want to know for ure who ordered these, and where they came from.