Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rei is now real

weird RAZE shit

Duke_0000.pngwell, this happened when i tried to run Duke Nukem after playing Blood:

when i showed someone this in a discord call, they said that this looks like a video game took LSD and Crack

And how did you do this? No info whatsoever doesn't help...

Never seen anything like it.

On what hardware did this happen? And on what settings? Seconding @seed that I've never seen anything like this. Two consecutive runs of the same program should not have such an effect as any modern OS makes sure that leftover data won't be picked up by the second instance.

EDIT: There is one possbility I could come up with: Did you load a Blood mod with Duke or did you copy both games into the same folder? The way Build's texture system works that can actually cause quite a bit of visual corruption because it has no named textures and no safeguards against blocking invalid replacements.

13 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

On what hardware did this happen? And on what settings? Seconding @seed that I've never seen anything like this. Two consecutive runs of the same program should not have such an effect as any modern OS makes sure that leftover data won't be picked up by the second instance.

EDIT: There is one possbility I could come up with: Did you load a Blood mod with Duke or did you copy both games into the same folder? The way Build's texture system works that can actually cause quite a bit of visual corruption because it has no named textures and no safeguards against blocking invalid replacements.

yeah i did. was i not supposed to copy both Duke 3d and Blood in the same folder?

You can do that, but how exactly did you do it? Did you extract a bunch of files, like the entire game directories of the games in the root directory of Raze?

I've only ever seen something similar in Rednukem when I dumped the whole game files in the root directory instead of a folder, when I fired another game various fonts ans graphics started mixing up and it turned into a crazy soup.

3 hours ago, Wily said:

idk man

Now this, however, isn't helpful.

In that case, welcome to Build!

Don't do that again. Either zip them up, put them inside a folder, or let Raze autodetect your Steam/GOG install when that's the case, but never toss an entire game directory inside the port's root folder (this includes the other main Build ports) as this is what will happen.

You should not copy two games into the same folder, unless it's all complete GRP files.

Blood is not like that - it is all loose files, which Duke would load if it got started from the same directory.

Welcome to Build, indeed!

If you look at the entire Blood source you will see this attitude everywhere - the map format is different (hopelessly convoluted with bit fields for properties, also encrypted), the palette management does not use the standard features, it overrode several engine functions with their own, courtesy of the linker prioritizing their own content, etc.

Although with the file system the actual reason was that GRP was added to the engine relatively late and since the Blood team had already set themselves up to use their stupid resource indices (another thing that makes it very hard to replace stuff) they just circumvented the GRP code, which admittedly was a piece of shit all of its own.

13 hours ago, NightFright said:

I never understood why

That's all you need to know with anything Build related.

Spoiler

/s.

Although, truth be told, this had nothing to do with Build, but with a developer team that obviously - judging from a famous message - had problems getting along with the provider of their engine.