Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PsychoGoatee

Controller Doomers - how's it going?

I've been using this controller to play Doom. Works like a charm!

s-l300.jpg.444e06e905dba742f110b254d606dde0.jpg
(In all seriousness I've tried playing Doom on a controller, works better than you'd expect) 

3 minutes ago, NoahRules said:

I've been using this controller to play Doom. Works like a charm!

s-l300.jpg.444e06e905dba742f110b254d606dde0.jpg
(In all seriousness I've tried playing Doom on a controller, works better than you'd expect) 

That's actually kinda cool!

26 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Cool setup, I also play FPS using Analog Stick + Mouse when I can, I use one of these, along with a generic wireless mouse.

I think a lot of people aren't willing to consider just how smooth and flexible this kind of combination can be.

fragchuck.jpg

Before I settled on a FPS pad with an analog stick, I was really considering a "half controller" like this! It seems like it may work well.

It's not bad, the analog stick itself is very comfortable and just the right sensitivity, battery life is VERY good, and I like that it has three shoulder buttons, but I wish it had a couple of more face buttons. The D-Pad, regrettably, is by far the worst I've ever used in my life, pressing in one direction easily registers as other directions (ergo pressing right may result in a right-up or even straight up).

There's room for improvement, but I think this has amazing potential.

Five levels away from finishing Doom II on Ultra-Violence+ so I'd say yeah I'm doing pretty well, relatively few deaths AND key saves only. I am looking forward to Plutonia on UV+.

Unfortunately for me, controller support in Vanilla is too limited.  I probably would've done my first playthrough with a controller if I could've mapped more buttons.  Of course, I know gameport controllers in 1993 were limited (I have newer gameport controllers with many more buttons than the classic Gravis Gamepad and they do work with some DOS games).  However, I think giving more options for actions to map to four buttons and possibly allowing buttons to perform multiple actions would've been nice.  For example, "run" could double as "open/use" to free an extra button so I can remove "strafe on" and have dedicated buttons for strafing left and right! :D

Actually, does anyone know if modifying controller inputs like this in Vanilla is possible?  I'm still a keyboard-only/keyboard and mouse DOOMER on DOS (depends on how my ball mice are behaving :D), but some casual gamepad play would be cool :)

1 minute ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Good question. Does anyone know if Crispy Doom has gamepad support?

It's supposed to, but I'm told it's inhereted bugs from SDL 2.0.9, so it doesn't work at this time. I guess SDL needs to be fixed.