Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViolentBeetle

Making semi-transparent doors in Boom

Question

I'm trying to make a removable forcefield in Boom, using invisible sectors and mid textures, but I can't figure out how to align it properly. All my attempts end in either texture not reaching floor, not reaching ceiling or not disappearing entirely. I can't figure out the right way. Attached is what I managed right now.

MAP01.rar

6 answers to this question

AFAIK the way to do it is to have a normal door, then use height transfers on it so it looks open even though it's physically closed. Then you put your forcefield midtextures on linedefs on both sides of the door, like one unit away and you just need to find a way to hide them then the door opens. Some scrolling effect tied to the movement of the door can be used -- it's how Quake-style sliding doors were implemented in Dimension of the Boomed, but you can try scrolling vertically or diagonally instead of horizontally.

The method that i use is basically this: a normal door with transfer heights, with a linedef in the middle that haves the middle texture and the linetype 260 (transparent), and the midtex have the y offset * (the texture height). So, you close the door and the midtex is visible because the offsets, and you cannot pass because the door is closed, but when you open the door the midtex go up and you can pass throught it.

43 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

But I can't simultaneously make transfer and transparency, right?

yes because THeights is for sectors, and transparency is for linedefs

Ah, you make a "door sector", then you split it into two and select the two and press J. Then you have a door sector with a linedef in the middle. The linedef in the middle haves the force field texture as midtex, translucency, and y offsets to show when the forcefield is closed. The sector haves the phisics, like a normal door but since is THeighted it shows like a opened and passable sector

Here an example wad for better understanding: https://mega.nz/file/zLYCGLZC#x36mARN0XNfnNehYTY05aJBTgdFKdXSxTN88HFZyJhE

Edited by URROVA

5 minutes ago, URROVA said:

yes because THeights is for sectors, and transparency is for linedefs

Ah, you make a "door sector", then you split it into two and select the two and press J. Then you have a door sector with a linedef in the middle. The linedef in the middle haves the translucency, and y offsets to show when the forcefield is closed. The sector haves the phisics, like a normal door but since is THeighted it shows like a opened and passable sector

Here an example wad for better understanding: https://mega.nz/file/zLYCGLZC#x36mARN0XNfnNehYTY05aJBTgdFKdXSxTN88HFZyJhE

oooh, it never occured to me to put linedef in the middle. Although wouldn't it draw through the ceiling in hardware mode (Or was it software mode?)

1 minute ago, ViolentBeetle said:

oooh, it never occured to me to put linedef in the middle. Although wouldn't it draw through the ceiling in hardware mode (Or was it software mode?)

is on software mode, i like to put a little "hole" where the ffield puts when opened. This makes that the midtex cuts too.