Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dukeinator2000

Do any of you believe in the theory that all wads are canon?

Na definitely not!

This would cause all kinds of issues / paradoxes as would eventually end up requiring doom guy to be in two places at the same time and what not (i.e. if two different WAD authors put the same date in their WADs but different places).

The only ones I consider canon are episodes / games released by Id.

For instance, DooM, Doom 2, Doom 64, Doom 3, DooM 2016 and Doom eternal are the main canon entries but BTSX would also be canon. However, I don’t consider the master levels canon as they are only single levels.

I kinda wish some others were considered canon (Eviternity for example as you can really see it influenced DooM eternal) but unfortunately I don’t feel they are.

5 hours ago, Fonze said:

This is kinda how I always saw it, or more-so that doomguy went to hell and thus is trapped in an eternal cycle since hell never plays fair and all that, thus also fitting with the narrative that all pwads could be canon. Personally, I like the idea that all wads are canon, even if some are of questionable nature; I guess hell doesnt play fair on our beliefs/morals either.

Doomguy will finally exit hell once he goes trough all the WADs, unfortunately we keep making them faster than he can finish them!

They're all cannon, although they all involve multiverses, and different incarnations of the same Doomguy. "The Sky May Be" is when Doomguy finally gets to Hell.

Of course I do. Obviously Doom Eternal is insinuating that the Doom Slayer inherited the power of the God Imp in The Sky May Be.

He also suffered many trials and tribulations along the way, like have a thanksgiving without burgers.

no, if every wad was cannon, it would mean that The DOOM Slayer already went to a mall infested with harmless pain elementals.

Edited by DoomedPerson

Absolutely not. Always found that notion ridiculous.

As for:

9 hours ago, Mayomancer said:

Everything after DOOM episode 1 is just a dream, Doomguy didn't survive the shareware version

Hard disagree. His health never hits 0 and it physically can't happen due to the floor type ergo he lived until the episode ended. What happened aftewards is anyone's guess.

My cannon is that it was a teleport malfunction that briefly brought him to hell (demons tampered with it after all) before the teleportation process completed and made it to Deimos. Barely alive, but alive.

11 hours ago, Roebloz said:

If EVERY WAD is canon, then HDoom and Imp Encounter are canon. Even worse. NUTS is canon.

I see this as an absolute win

57 minutes ago, idbeholdME said:

My cannon is that it was a teleport malfunction that briefly brought him to hell (demons tampered with it after all) before the teleportation process completed and made it to Deimos. Barely alive, but alive.

Yeah I like this one

Never really heard of this theory before, but I could buy into it. I think that Doomguy is caught in a repeating Karmic cycle because although he starts pacifist, he always ends up killing, dying and restarting the cycle again and again.

so, terrywads are canon.

How anything like "cross a linedef, teleport to a room with somemong textures and f9serjuisjeurf8w4ut8c43jw9y9r874h87tdn3wh34hfx87w4serd9u4wj39r87w3x" will be canon?

I'm being torn between calling it silly and embracing it just for the sake of pretending that such gems like cybie and impse totally were events that happened in Doomguy/Doomslayer lifetime. 🤔

Every Doom wad is connected to the Doom universe so every wad is canon

(The same thing applies to Quake, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and many other games)

TBH I think it is intended more of a shout-out to the modding community who have supported the game for so long. Not really anything to be taken seriously.

On 9/30/2020 at 3:46 AM, Doomkid said:

I'm 90% sure I stole that joke but I can't remember who from!

On 9/30/2020 at 4:58 AM, Dukeinator2000 said:

Fuck it, Doomkid is now officially the creator of this joke

I did this joke in a similar thread a few months ago, but Doomkid delivered it much much better - hereby I concede him the rights to use it on every fitting DoomworldTM thread.

not all doom wads have narratives that involve hell whatsoever let alone doomguy choosing to stay there which would somewhat introduce a plot hole

If all wads are canon, I'm making a wad where The Doomguy/Slayerman has a dinner date with a Baron of Hell. The dinner will be Daisy. The wad will include support for Hdoom so you can have sex with the Baron. But you don't have to use Hdoom, you can just shoot the Baron instead. The wad will end with Doomguy coming home from the date and taking a poop. The wad can be called "Pushing Daisies".

No, if it where true it would turn doom's simplistic plot into an extremely complex mess that it would take literal ages to make sense off.

All the wads published by id are canon. They're free from all unauthorized copyrighted assets and are officially sanctioned by id. They might as well be considered part of the official story line, even if there's not much to say about a tough soldier surviving against hell.

I respect amateur effort more than official canon
everything that happens in ALT and Alfonzone are events in doomguy's life (even when the character isn't doomguy, so there)

nuId hasn't had a good track record on, you know, writing something that isn't a horrible cringe fest. So nah, I don't consider that theory to be canon, that ALL custom wads are canon.

35 minutes ago, printz said:

All the wads published by id are canon. They're free from all unauthorized copyrighted assets and are officially sanctioned by id. They might as well be considered part of the official story line, even if there's not much to say about a tough soldier surviving against hell.

Now the question is how does REKKR fit into the Doom canon.

37 minutes ago, printz said:

All the wads published by id are canon. 

That means that Maximum Doom is canon?

2 minutes ago, Gez said:

how does REKKR fit into the Doom canon.

In Doom's equivalent of the 8th-11th centuries, i guess.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:19 PM, Doomkid said:

The only thing that I consider canon in Doom is the rocket launcher.

Ha! Canon. Rocket launcher. I see what you did there. Cunny funt ;)

How do we know Doom Eternal is even canon?
What if after Doomguy died in E1M8 everything after that was just his imagination creating a fake reallity for him to live in in the last moments before his death/he is in purgatory imagining it all/Ash is in a coma and his Pokemon adventures are all his dreams. Can you disprove it? Nope. That's why i hate most big and wacky theories and preffer smaller ones that can be backed up with facts and logic.