Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ludicrous_peridot

Best controller/input device for Delta Touch

As Android phones are quite capable and DeltaTouch is stable, runs latest GZDoom  and is in  process of adding Doom 3, I was thinking of moving away from PCs for my classic doom experience. However I never got comfortable with touch controls and keybaord/mouse are too much to use on the go.

Please share your experience with controllers and similar devices for the mobiles, and if you had good time playing Foom or other shooters with them.

To moderator: please move this to an appropriate forum section, if you feel this topic stands out. Posting here as the port thread is nearby.

8bitdo SN30 Pro/Pro+ or a regular Dualshock 4 and you're sorted. Tested 'em both, they're great.

If you choose to go the 8bitdo route, just make sure you update the controller's firmware, otherwise you might get connection dips/dropouts during gameplay.

I've used Xbox One, PS4, MOGA Pro, Keyboard and mouse and an 8bitdo sn30 for a huge amount of gaming on my phone.  Here's how I would rate them.

Xbox controller uses AA's and is by far the most comfortable for Delta and Quad.  The dpad is serviceable but crampy for heavy use in games that analog is not preferred (dead cells).  It's also the most compatible as of Android 9, most apps even have button prompts for an xbox controller.

The PS4 is great for the addition of the touchpad and better dpad.  The stiffer sticks lead to hand strain faster, and the triggers set at an angle that leads to trigger finger.  The touchpad makes it so easy for navigating the menus from the couch though and the dpad is much better for longer use.  Hopefully they support more features with newer Android versions, but there's still some issues with Android 9 and lag, so I'd say get this if you have 10.

8bitdo SN30Pro, I was so excited for this controller but performance is intermittent.  If you get a good one it's great!  You can use it corded, it's small, it has a ton of compatibility.  Dpad is excellent, but clicky, and same goes for the buttons.  The sticks have an ok placement but get close together like the old dualshock 3 sticks, my thumbs touch.

MOGA Pro, this is an old HID compatible controller with issues with diagonals and axis lock.  Not recommended.

I've tested all these with gamepad tester on Android and as far as analog sticks go the xbox has the most accurate PS4 second and 8bitdo last.  Funny thing is all my ps4 controllers seemed to have a smaller outer deadzone setting by default, making them seem slower.

Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, CrbnBased said:

Xbox controller uses AA's

To be clear, it has the option of using AAs (regular or rechargeable ones like the highly recommended enloops) but it's not the only option. You can also use a battery pack that charges over USB when connected to the controller, or straight up just use USB to power it.

People seem to have this weird insistence on harping over the fact that it can take AAs as if it somehow affects its quality without understanding the whole point of having a modular battery compartment, which puts it leagues ahead of the alternatives in terms of life span. Having a fixed internal battery would make it worse, far worse. 

4 hours ago, Edward850 said:

To be clear, it has the option of using AAs (regular or rechargeable ones like the highly recommended enloops) but it's not the only option. You can also use a battery pack that charges over USB when connected to the controller, or straight up just use USB to power it.

People seem to have this weird insistence on harping over the fact that it can take AAs as if it somehow affects its quality without understanding the whole point of having a modular battery compartment, which puts it leagues ahead of the alternatives in terms of life span. Having a fixed internal battery would make it worse, far worse. 

I love my xbox controller but with my travel kit I already have a usb battery backup.  Other controllers you don't have to worry about buying a separate battery pack or anything else, just the controller.  It's a big issue for portability and cost, since ps4 and xbox gamepads are the same price, but out of the box you can recharge the dualshock, not the xbox one controller.

11 hours ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

@CrbnBased thanks for the write up and sharing your experience in detail. For XBox are there proven holders to attach it to the phone while on the go, that you could recommend?

I actually just got the MOGA power A clip that was xbox licensed.  Works great to keep it balanced over the gamepad and not fatigue my wrists.  It's made out of durable plastic and hasn't caused me any issues so far.

44 minutes ago, CrbnBased said:

but out of the box you can recharge the dualshock

Right, but what do you do when the battery dies in your dualshock? 

Not if, when. A li-po cell is only rated for 300 complete cycles. Beyond that is borrowed time. 

The whole idea with the Xbox controller is you can choose what you need, and come time when that battery needs replacing, li-po or otherwise, you can do that without having to replace the whole controller. I still have functional 360 gamepads because of it. Heck you can still even get battery packs for them if you want those too. My PS4 gamepads? My only worthwhile option will be to chuck them in the end.

Edited by Edward850

6 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Not if, when. A li-po cell is only rated for 300 complete cycles. Beyond that is borrowed time. 

I just replace it, like any battery.  I've had to replace multiple sets of triggers and batteries in my controllers over the years.  Just need a small set of screw drivers and some patience, the battery isn't even glued in on ps4 like it is on the 8bitdo or switch joycons, and you can get bigger batteries for cheap.  The xbox controller is built like a beast and the only issues I've had is since they increased the sensitivity of the sticks over the 360 they tend to drift faster.

I destroyed 2 dualshocks before I got my current one, and fell in love with the xbone controllers ergonomics so much I bought one without even owning the system, lol. 

Now I constantly swap the controllers I have depending on what I'm playing.  I love the xbox controller for Delta, but it sucks for most 2d games where analog isn't needed.  In that case I grab the dualshock with the higher dpad that is more comfortable.  Currently my 8bitdo is my Switch gamepad.  I haven't had a good connection with my phone without a cable, but works flawlessly on Switch, and is truly a great controller.

I'm spoiled and have all 3 and love each of them for different reasons and have no real issue recommending any of them.  I'm heavily into emulation as well so it's good to have controllers for each system.  Hopefully with Android 11 the dualshock and Switch compatible controllers will get remote gyro functionality, which will give them the edge over anything else. 8bitdo on Switch is amazing for this as I play all the Dooms on that as well, gyro is underrated.  Now we just need more developers adding controller support to their games (stares at Genshin Impact angrily).

4 hours ago, Edward850 said:

The whole idea with the Xbox controller is you can choose what you need, and come time when that battery needs replacing, li-po or otherwise, you can do that without having to replace the whole controller. I still have functional 360 gamepads because of it. Heck you can still even get battery packs for them if you want those too. My PS4 gamepads? My only worthwhile option will be to chuck them in the end.

Please don't throw away repairable electronics.  I'm bowing out of this thread now for I have grown quite weary.

7 hours ago, CrbnBased said:

Please don't throw away repairable electronics.

Just because something is technically repairable that doesn't make it actually ideal to do. Handling dry li-po cells is a serious fire hazard and should not be something you casually recommend to people.

Had a chance to try the new 8bitdo controller with DeltaTouch/GZDoom. So far the impressions are mixed and my guess is that playing with it comfortably will take some time as hands get more accustomed and controls "soften" a bit. The controller looks good, materials are nice both visually and to the touch, d-pad and A-Z buttons feel pretty good. It's also compact and lightweight (the one I have is the XBox branded version without handles - or horns as I would call them), and vibration strength still feels ok. The clip fits my old trusty S8 in soft protective shell without any of the buttons on phone's getting in the way and I didn't get any issues with Bluetooth connection that folks are writing about on reddit and message boards.

Now, while I expected compact size to be a plus for gaming on the go, it in fact turned out to be a downside, as it took me some time to adjust the clip for a good balance between the phone that is rather heavy (clip actually serving as a level or sorts) and the gamepad that is rather lightweight, as otherwise the whole construction puts some stress on the hands while holding it. The other thing with compact size is that while triggers are technically reachable, with my "medium size" adult hand it was not that comfortable to both hold the controllers and use one of the fingers to press them - definitely would not work for fire for me, sticking with shoulder button for that (which is a shame this being a trigger after all).

Now, while the above would likely be a different story had I followed the advice and bought the version with more "+" and "plus"-es in the name (i.e. the horned one), the thing that gets in the way of fun experience on mobile is certain "stiffness" of the look stick. I.e. even with sensitivity maxed out in DeltaTouch and dead zone at min, the action - actually looking around - seems to start with a small "lag" after the stick is engaged, and the "engagement" (moving the stick slightly from the central position) takes a bit of effort, noticeable even if very small. With my "muscle memory" this means my shots are off the mark slightly most of the time. 

This may be something related to my phone, bluetooth, Delta or even GZDoom, or even controller not having seen much action yet, so I'll be trying Unity port on PC for comparison, and I do like the gamepad very much when used without a clip for D-pad and buttons action. Hopefully, will be playing more Retribution next few days and see how it goes. But overall I think I have chosen a wrong 8bitdo controller or a wrong controller make to start with.