Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RonnieJamesDiner

Global Light Color [Sector Editing] - One of UDMF's most under-appreciated features

Very nice post!  I agree the main takeaway here is the power of using these features subtly.  It's easy to come across things like Fade and Sector Colors and presume they're only really useful for super exaggerated effects.  But a small tint can go a long way to emphasizing the feel of a scene.

One often over-looked thing I see is the importance of the color of the sky.  In reality, if you have (for example) a bright green sky, then all outdoor locations would be bathed in green light.  This is true even for real-life, every day skies, especially around sun-rise and sun-set.

But I see many maps, even in UDMF format, leave all their sectors in the default white light regardless of the overall color of something like the sky.  But a subtle tint in the right direction can make a big difference to the believability of a scene.

Fantastic write up. I'll admit that I usually focus on subtle fade colours and ignore the sector colouring itself. I shall be rectifying that post haste!

Beautiful post. Doom map-making appreciation at its finest. The color of the illumination is certainly something we don't look at much, but in the future, I'm sure it will start to have a better place. It is a fantastic tool to create palpable ''atmospheres'' on a map.

This is a mighty fine tutorial! I haven't messed around too much with sector colors before this either, but reading this and looking at your examples I realize it does create that subtle change that might not be consciously apparent to players, but still makes a significant difference in how the scene looks and feels, with minimal effort.

With a few tests, I noticed that it can be quite effectively used to create color gradients (not unlike to making lighting gradients) by incrementing the RGB values from one desired color to the other. Here's an example of a gradient from regular white light (255,255,255) to magenta (255,0,255) in increments of 25 on the green channel.

Spoiler

whitetopurple.jpg.b32215c8d3433e06ac4f8bc2d7bfc68d.jpg

And here's an example of a gradient from cyan (0,255,255) to magenta (255,0,255), this time incrementing both the red and green channels by 25 each step.

Spoiler

cyantopurple.jpg.710ab96950d16578fb30564f0ca106f0.jpg

The benefit here being that it also works in ports that don't support dynamic lighting, which are most commonly used to create colored lighting effects. But I feel it can also be used in tandem with dynamic lights to create even more nuanced scenes.

Since Doom 64 was just mentioned I would like to talk a little about Doom 64 style lighting, this lighting even newer than Global Light Color has really been seen too little, I think almost no one uses it.

I suppose it is due to its lack of support, because to give it the use that is given in Doom 64, some flags are needed and a way to play with them, perhaps through ACS, and also that they do not work correctly on 3D Floors although they do on Slopes.
However, I consider that as with the Global Light Color, interesting things can be done despite the lack of support.

Spoiler

1.png.a558b33ecb6871ef1fd32e62bc794627.png2.png.57b39c7613afeaa01e669066e48c502e.png3.png.e164af5f56f53cbffd2be973cba6de0b.png

I never completed the map and there was a lot to polish since I was just beginning to realize how to use such lighting correctly, I used Doom 64 Colors and in some parts I also used Global Light Color to complement it.
At that time, I wanted to transform the environment of the map into an unknown place in Hell or at least that's what I had in my head. This map was just to give me an idea of what a Doom 2 map would look like if someone used this Lighting.

Those are some really interesting shots, Mary. I think global light color worked quite well with the Doom 64-style aesthetic, in this case. It's too bad you never finished the project!