Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

.MID the way id did - Doom 2 Soundtrack Replacement [RELEASED]

While we're pointing out names that need updating, just a couple more accurate names based on thread posts and internal MIDI data: "Shotdown" is "Shot Down", "Imperator Mens Aranea" is "Aranea Imperatrix", "Behold, a God Who Bleeds" is "Behold! A God Who Bleeds", and "Untitled" is "Untitled Is Still Technically a Title" (love that name, lmao).

Not to hassle you about it though, you've done a wonderful job making all of this happen. Thanks for everything - it's been a blast!! Can't wait to play Doom 2 again and see how it all coalesced together!

Finally! I've been watching this thread intently since its inception.

*Rubs hands together eagerly*

Its finally time for that long-awaited D2TWiD playthrough! Thanks y'all for the excellent tunes. I for one am going to be using 'em in my PWADs, as I'm sure many will!

Fantastic. It's been so long since a project I contributed to actually got released.

looking at the various music projects, i'm impressed how the community manages to breathe new life into so many classics: doom2, udoom, tnt, plutonia, master levels, nrftl, revolution, rebirth, raven... just counting them so i don't miss anything :D

big thanks to everyone who made this possible.

I'd almost be sad that this is over if I didn't feel such a sense of victory and accomplishment to see it released! It was so much fun to participate, talk about music with everyone and hear all the cool music come out one by one and I look forward to the next time our paths cross again. Congrats to Doomkid for being such a great project leader and seeing this through to the end, to everyone who contributed music, to all who chimed in with feedback and ideas, and to everyone who can listen to the full project without thinking "man, I wish I would've changed that one note" for the rest of eternity. This will no doubt be an excellent resource for mappers and simply an enjoyable new way to play Doom 2. And you know it's a great soundtrack when even the unused songs are bangers.

Also, "The songs came from our brains!" in the text file sounds like an exploitation film from the 50s.

Also, "The songs came from our brains!" in the text file sounds like an exploitation film from the 50s.

This made me rofl because it's so accurate 😂

Great job, everyone! I was waiting for this. After I found out about the Plutonia MIDI pack I was amazed at the quality of the tracks and seeing some of those names return for this project hyped me up. It's great to see some "new" faces as well, overall a really talented team. I already have some of these tracks stuck in my head.

2 minutes ago, rzh said:

Great job, everyone! I was waiting for this. After I found out about the Plutonia MIDI pack I was amazed at the quality of the tracks and seeing some of those names return for this project hyped me up. It's great to see some "new" faces as well, overall a really talented team. I already have some of these tracks stuck in my head.

Keep watching these forums, No Rest for the Living and the Master Levels got MIDI packs recently and there are more coming soon!

Just now, northivanastan said:

Keep watching these forums, No Rest for the Living and the Master Levels got MIDI packs recently and there are more coming soon!

I know, there's your project for Doom 1 and Jimmy's project for Deathkings. Really excited for both!

Congrats to everyone on the team! MIDTWID has become a very high standard of not just quality but also overall community participation, and I'm glad people from of all sorts and skills were so happy to collaborate. And to those who think they could have gone an octave higher here or went in a slightly different direction there, don't fret¹; remember, the most important thing is not to be the best, but to do your best!

¹ Pun not intended :D

gaaahhhh I am just now realizing both of my songs are SUPER short

Edited by Mr. Freeze

Short, but also sweet! You did a good job writing melodies that loop without being irritating or repetitive despite their brevity.

I would have called the project "The Bobby Principle", but this is good too.

In any case, now I got a good music replacement wad for Doom II Reloaded. Thanks a lot, guys! :D

The final product's great. I'm starting to record a playthrough of Doom II with it in PrBoom+.
The only issue I think I'm having is the volume. It seems much quieter than usual.

That’s really strange, the volume levels are all about on par with the stock MIDIs, although I have noticed that converting to MUS seemingly makes them play back a bit louder in certain engines..

3 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

That’s really strange, the volume levels are all about on par with the stock MIDIs, although I have noticed that converting to MUS seemingly makes them play back a bit louder in certain engines..

i did notice that the stock midis of Doom2 are somewhat quiter compared to UD, TNT or anothers midispacks out there.

Not that its a problem, as that why the volume sliders exist for, but i did find it strange that while playing pwads i never had to touch the slider, but while playing doom2 i have to rise it a few notches to enjoy the music more, maybe thats what Adamast0r feels, too.

Just listened to the album, spiffing work all of you. I can certainly see these tracks being used in many a map to come. 

Man, this midi pack is awesome! Good job!

Edit: Sounds good in GUS (Emulated), not exactly as the General Midi, but it's still good

Edited by Lol 6 : More info lmao

This is excellent. I hope you don't mind if I use some of these songs in any future maps I make.

Man oh man oh MAN. I gotta see these MIDI projects have been my absolute favorite things to happen lately. AMAZING work, all.

This is great! I would have wished for a release which preserves all original Bobby Prince music which was not duplicated later on in the game, but it's easy to do by yourself - just delete any midi track from the wad which does NOT have a name ending with a "2" or "3" (e.g. "D_THEDA3" or "D_ROMER2" can stay, but "D_THE_DA" or "D_ROMERO" need to be removed).

8 hours ago, P41R47 said:

i did notice that the stock midis of Doom2 are somewhat quiter compared to UD, TNT or anothers midispacks out there.

Not that its a problem, as that why the volume sliders exist for, but i did find it strange that while playing pwads i never had to touch the slider, but while playing doom2 i have to rise it a few notches to enjoy the music more, maybe thats what Adamast0r feels, too.

That must be it. Nothing too serious, anyway. Just wanted to point it out.
Congratulations again on this awesome soundtrack.

If I have one criticism of the project so far, it is that MAP09 (DCG Retrowave - Into Retrowave's City) sounds way too much like Into Sandy's City. As such, it sounds less like an original track and more like a blatant remix of an existing one.