Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

.MID the way id did - Doom 2 Soundtrack Replacement [RELEASED]

28 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

If I have one criticism of the project so far, it is that MAP09 (DCG Retrowave - Into Retrowave's City) sounds way too much like Into Sandy's City. As such, it sounds less like an original track and more like a blatant remix of an existing one.

"Into Retrowave's City" was actually created for my own upcoming megawad and will be used on a map that's partially a remake/remix of TNT's Administration Center :D

I did try to give it a somewhat original feel (the melody is different, although the song's structure is mostly the same), but I do understand your point as most songs in this MIDI Pack are quite different compared to the songs originally used on those maps.  I was hoping to also contribute an original song to the project, but I didn't think I'd have enough time to make something really fitting.  Maybe next time though :D

Important Information: The text screen MIDI is broken in Vanilla DOOM

I was playing through DOOM II on my DOS PC last night to record a full playthrough demo for gameplay footage (for the SC-55 and SC-88 videos I'll be uploading).  As soon as I beat The Crusher, I knew something was terribly wrong.  The text screen's MIDI seems to be incompatible with DMX.  One of the instruments is just random drum noises.  I've noticed this with the classic ONESTOP.MID from Windows Me-Windows 10 as well, but I assume that one is broken due to how many instrument channels it uses.  This MIDI only uses four channels and doesn't seem too complex, but it won't play correctly in vanilla.  It's not my Sound Canvas's fault either.  The GS Wavetable and a Roland SC-55 soundfont did the same thing when I tested it in DOSBox.  I'm currently trying to figure out why it's broken (I've had to fix MIDIs in the past for vanilla so I do have experience with this :D).  Anyway, I figured I should let you guys know since this is a pretty major issue that can hopefully be resolved quickly.

Edit: I figured it out and I'm not at all surprised by the cause of this issue.  Removing the copyright info fixes it.  I had to remove some really long text from another MIDI I'm using in my own WAD because it actually crashes vanilla DOOM.  Thankfully, this isn't as extreme of an issue, but I'm pretty sure the random drum sounds aren't a good thing either :D

Edited by DCG Retrowave

8 minutes ago, DCG Retrowave said:

"Into Retrowave's City" was actually created for my own upcoming megawad and will be used on a map that's partially a remake/remix of TNT's Administration Center :D

I did try to give it a somewhat original feel (the melody is different, although the song's structure is mostly the same), but I do understand your point as most songs in this MIDI Pack are quite different compared to the songs originally used on those maps.  I was hoping to also contribute an original song to the project, but I didn't think I'd have enough time to make something really fitting.  Maybe next time though :D

Cool! And do not get me wrong: it is a fine track! 

In a way, it reminds me of the unused alternate tracks from Bobby Prince's soundtrack.

1 hour ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Note that MAP07's new track is also a partial remix of the level's stock track.

It's more of a remix of "Dead Skin Mask" by Slayer. "Dear Onion" is also a remix of "Running From Evil" as well as Megadeth's "Hanger 18", and "Behold! A God Who Bleeds" is almost a direct ripoff of "Murder Nights" by Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats. I'm sure there are more that I'm not aware of as well.

MAP25 is based on "War Machine" by KISS. I figured that fit with the vibe of Prince's OG tracks. 

oh, the prince's style at full it seems.

Even when i was a child during the 90's, only bands my brother allowed to be hear on my house were thrash metal bands, until i impose myself when i had 11 or 12 and bought my first album ever: Gorillaz eponymous.

So it was around the 2000 that i started to differentiate myself from my musicnazi brother and listened to all the popular alternative acts of the 90's.

So listening to this tracks will be fun and a learning experience, too.

Glad you finally released it, guys!

Hope to fix my PC soon so can give it a proper listening to all those sweet tracks.

On 4/6/2021 at 5:44 AM, Doomkid said:

Once the old version gets to /idgames, I'll update it as soon as possible.

Well, it is official right now, once and for all!

https://mirrors.syringanetworks.net/idgames/music/midtwid2.zip

https://ftpmirror1.infania.net/pub/idgames/music/midtwid2.zip

Edited by Diabolución : Add quote for context, and to avoid disinformation.

11 hours ago, DCG Retrowave said:

Edit: I figured it out and I'm not at all surprised by the cause of this issue.  Removing the copyright info fixes it.  I had to remove some really long text from another MIDI I'm using in my own WAD because it actually crashes vanilla DOOM.  Thankfully, this isn't as extreme of an issue, but I'm pretty sure the random drum sounds aren't a good thing either :D

Oddly that particular MIDI crashes my sequencer.

12 hours ago, DCG Retrowave said:

I figured it out and I'm not at all surprised by the cause of this issue.  Removing the copyright info fixes it.  I had to remove some really long text from another MIDI I'm using in my own WAD because it actually crashes vanilla DOOM.  Thankfully, this isn't as extreme of an issue, but I'm pretty sure the random drum sounds aren't a good thing either :D

Thanks so much for finding this - I've got a fixed version replacing the old one on Doomshack, and I'll be updating the idgames version now!

https://doomshack.org/uploads/midtwid2.zip

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Thanks so much for finding this - I've got a fixed version replacing the old one on Doomshack, and I'll be updating the idgames version now!

https://doomshack.org/uploads/midtwid2.zip

I'm glad I was able to help!  My DOS PC is also to thank for this discovery because if I didn't own older computers, I'd just stick with PrBoom+ for everything :D

I had an idea: I think it would be a very cool experience to do a co-op stream with as many developers as possible, and possibly open to everybody else as well, of Doom II with all the tracks of MTWID2. It would be a nice way to celebrate with the developers, and could give the soundtrack even more exposure.

If we did it with only the developers you would get a great situation of having them talking about how they went about making the music for their respective levels, talked about by the creators themselves. This would give the community some very nice insights into the process :). I personally always love these behind-the-scenes talks whilst watching developers play their own stuff. Open to everybody it would be a great experience to share the music with everybody as well. I am a fan of the first option: a good example is the stream with the team of Eviternity doing a playthrough I think.

I count about 19 people that contributed to the project. We are unfortunately not going to be able to include everybody I think, what with busy lives and time zones. If more than let's say... 8 would be able to join in, I think it would already be an interesting and inspiring stream. We could have @Doomkid propose a few times starting about two weeks from now, and then collect availability through DM's.

Final thought: we would really rush through Doom II with all of us together. Perhaps we could do a stream of Doom II the Way id Did instead. 

I'm all for that idea, if nothing else as an excuse to hang out and talk with everyone. Though depending on the time of day or month, my internet connection is terrible but hopefully I can get lucky. Time zones don't really matter, I can adjust to almost anything and usually do. And any excuse to be social sounds spectacular right now.

I love DOOM so let's do it :D

If we play through DOOM II, expect to see me luring the funny Pain Elemental to the broken secret on MAP15 :D

I won't be able to actually stream it - the internet in my somewhat rural area is simply too shit for streaming (which saddens me deeply) but I would love to join into such a session! Looks like there's already 4 of us on board for the idea, it would just be a matter of working out which participants can and can't stream it to their own channels and who will be available at the right times.

I'll be free on the 23rd and 24th any time from 10 AM to 10 PM (UTC+11:00). I think Discord would be the best program to get us all into one voice chat channel. We could simply do it in an existing discord such as the Multiplayer Doom one where I'm a mod - https://discord.gg/gsVSHGK

If a few other participants are also interested, I think this could be a blast :) also as a final note, I like the idea of doing D2TWID rather than the basic Doom2 maps, since I'm not familiar with them it will be much more of a fun challenge.

I'd love to participate. I should happen to technically be available at those times as well (if I'm converting the time zones right), but Saturday 24th is much more suitable for me personally.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

UTC+11:00

Judging by that, my internet throttling finally eases up for the day around 4-5pm your time. I may have to join later in the session if it starts earlier than that. But either day works for me.

Also I joined the discord that Doomkid posted if you want to add me or I'll add you.  I use the same name I use here.

I hope I won't derail this thread, but is there a ".MID the way id did" for Ultimate DooM (specifically, Episode 1)?

I did some general internet searching but found nothing.

15 minutes ago, ReX said:

I hope I won't derail this thread, but is there a ".MID the way id did" for Ultimate DooM (specifically, Episode 1)?

It's a work in progress.

1 hour ago, Xulgonoth said:

It's a work in progress.

Thanks for pointing me to that thread. Excellent!

Damn, I don’t - it was the slightly incomplete MIDIs, but also with MUS versions and CD art both of which I ended up removing.. I need to update that SHA1 doc, also I’ll make sure it serves the file with the proper encoding. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

I was pleasantly surprised by MAP32's new track, "Suplex the Stars". While it sounds nothing like the one it is replacing, it is still an amazing track and would not felt out of place in, say, Back to Saturn X!

Edited by Rudolph

I listened to the whole thing and was surprised by how modern it sounded' was definitely expecting something more akin to the Raven pack where it seamlessly blends in. Favourite track was 17, by STILES.

Adding these to the Master Levels gives a nice alternative to Peter's pack, which is a love or hate it pack it seems, and I'll be making a small edit to this pack for use in Doom 2 the way id Did; its only fitting right? That wad, as far as I know, only changes Map 31 and 32, as well as moving Into Sandy's City to another level (ie i'll be putting Into Retrowave's City there instead ;p)

I'm sad to say that I'm mostly not feeling this. I tested it on Woof (RLNDGM) and Chocolate Doom (OPL). Although some tracks were pretty cool. I think especially map26 and map27 are worth playing with the replacement. I've grown to love all the original Doom 2 songs so I'm not gonna use it but I still think the project is interesting.

11 hours ago, Devalaous said:

I listened to the whole thing and was surprised by how modern it sounded' was definitely expecting something more akin to the Raven pack where it seamlessly blends in. Favourite track was 17, by STILES.

Adding these to the Master Levels gives a nice alternative to Peter's pack, which is a love or hate it pack it seems, and I'll be making a small edit to this pack for use in Doom 2 the way id Did; its only fitting right? That wad, as far as I know, only changes Map 31 and 32, as well as moving Into Sandy's City to another level (ie i'll be putting Into Retrowave's City there instead ;p)

Yeah!! I did the same thing. Totally works really well. I was always a bit sad that D2tWiD didn't have it's own music.