Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

.MID the way id did - Doom 2 Soundtrack Replacement [RELEASED]

The stream officially starts in 40 minutes but I would appreciate it if people signed on early for a bandwidth test.

EDIT: Got the time wrong but the bandwidth seems OK.

https://www.twitch.tv/subroutinestv

Edited by Bucket

The stream was a complete success (if you don't include the first two hours of discord, server, and OBS issues).

Thanks to everyone who participated and watched.

I had a blast talking with all of you guys about your MIDIs and just chatting, Dooming and hanging in general. Really fun stuff, and thanks a ton Bucket for being on streaming duty, and to DCG for hosting the Oda server!

I couldn't watch it, it froze (I guess it was my phone, it's an iPhone 5 after all) but yeah, good job 

That was an amazing experience, thank you everybody who was there! Inspiring to hear everybody chat for hours and hours about music and the Doom community. <)

Haven't had a deep listen yet, but what I've heard I like a lot, good job! Since this hasn't been uploaded to /idgames yet, I figured the following would be useful for fixing a few songs:

I've been playing around with a lot of sound cards recently with some sort of OPL implementation, noticed this thread a couple days ago and decided to give a crack at recording everything with my Yamaha YMF724 sound card, which has an authentic OPL3 chip - to keep it true to the IWADs, I converted everything to MUS and played them through MUSPLAY using GENMIDI from doom2.wad directly in DOS (I get a lower surface noise level with DOS rather than using Win98 drivers) and recorded through my Audient EVO 8 audio interface. I would have preferred to use my Sound Blaster 16 CT2290 to record as that would be period-accurate to the release of Doom 2, but for some reason it does not play nice with MUSPLAY and likes to randomly screw up notes though it has no issues with vanilla EXE, and that's the only card I've encountered so far that has that specific issue - probably an issue with its DOS 7.0 drivers or I need to record in OPL2 mode, but I'm too lazy to install DOS 6.22 to check.

Anyway, the first problem I came across is that the story MIDI/D_READ_M crashes MIDI2MUS:

xgMFlBd.png

I adjusted the volume levels using Great Hall/MUS_E2M7 from Heretic as that song really likes to compress the dynamic range or distort the hell out of recordings depending on the OPL implementation if you're careless, so I set the FM volume level to 4 through Yamaha's SETUPDS.EXE which is roughly equivalent to 50% (0-7). Great Hall was hitting the peaks and causing a minor loss in dynamic range, which will be perfect moving forward. Here's the goods, available in FLAC and 0.4q OGG:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7j6kuhd91gtud/MID_the_Way_iD_Did

Apart from cutting up each song into individual files, the recordings are raw and no changes have been made, including changing the volume. Fun notes time!

• MAP04 converts to MUS, but it is completely broken and running it in vanilla EXE crashes hard - see idclev04.flac for a recording of what happens when running through vanilla. This also happens with MAP03 from the Plutonia MIDI pack
  • MAP30 tempo is completely screwed and stretches out to an amazing 54:51
  • MAP11 and MAP17 both hit peak recording levels at various points, so the volume of those should be decreased a bit as they stand out compared to everything else. MAP07 is also a bit loud, but doesn't hit peaks

I haven't seen any other obvious issues but I figure I'll post these in case there's other issues with the songs that would be picked up by the authors or other people. Once those issues are fixed, I'm happy to make recordings with the DMXOPL instrument bank or other sound cards if there's interest.

Edited by deathz0r : clarification of MUS lump from Heretic

29 minutes ago, deathz0r said:

MAP30 tempo is completely screwed and stretches out to an amazing 54:51

That has to sound beautiful.

@OpenRift should have a fixed file for this, which he made for FreeDM Classic

Welp, I figured since most OPs usually get updated when they're uploaded to /idgames that this wasn't, my bad!

9 hours ago, deathz0r said:

Anyway, the first problem I came across is that the story MIDI/D_READ_M crashes MIDI2MUS:

xgMFlBd.png

Ah, I'm guessing this is probably happening because that track already is a MUS file! Daaamn, I originally included MUS variants of each song but took them out just before finalizing it - why the hell did I do that! After hearing all the struggles you're having, I regret it.

9 hours ago, deathz0r said:

MAP04 converts to MUS, but it is completely broken and running it in vanilla EXE crashes hard - see idclev04.flac for a recording of what happens when running through vanilla.

This cracked me the fuck up, holy damn.. Sounds like a tiny fart!

MAP30 tempo is completely screwed and stretches out to an amazing 54:51

Hmm, that shouldn't happen. I'm gonna blame this on Midi2Mus being an old crusty piece of shit. When converted using the newer, shinier Midi3Mus, they come out perfectly - here's a pack in case it's of any help, and in case Midi2Mus added some unnoticed fuckery to any of the other songs.. midtwid2_mus.zip

MAP11 and MAP17 both hit peak recording levels at various points, so the volume of those should be decreased a bit as they stand out compared to everything else. MAP07 is also a bit loud, but doesn't hit peaks

Ok, this actually is a bit of a problem. I noticed with Florestan SCC1T2, a common soundfont heavily based on the windows one, that these songs peak just a tad as well.. I think lowering the velocity of just everything on the entire track of both 11 and 17 to 95% of what it's currently at should do the trick.

11 hours ago, ZeMystic said:

That has to sound beautiful.

@OpenRift should have a fixed file for this, which he made for FreeDM Classic

Here's the optimized version. Changed some redundant instruments to share channels, it doesn't sound too different from the original, but it's up to you guys if you want to use it.

D_OPENIN_REV1.zip

Edited by OpenRift : Uploaded Wrong version, download this one.

Don't know if someone already did this before, but here's a version of this wad that replaces the duplicate tracks only (much like the one in the Ultimate MIDI Pack):

midtwid2dup.zip

Edited by Pregador

On 6/28/2021 at 12:45 AM, Pregador said:

Don't know if someone already did this before, but here's a version of this wad that replaces the duplicate tracks only (much like the one in the Ultimate MIDI Pack):

midtwid2dup.zip

Was looking for this exactly, thx a bunch.