Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Castle Dreadful

What was your first DOOM experience?

I apologize if this has been posted before. I did a search and didn't see anything.

How old were you when you first played DOOM? How did you come across it?

I was 3 years old when DOOM first came out. I lived with my mother and grandparents at the time. My grandfather had a den and he set me up with my own computer next to his with a LAN connection. DOOM was my first ever video game. Gramps and I played DOOM, Warcraft, Red Alert, and Descent together in that den and that was what made me a gamer.

Yes, they introduced a 3 year old to DOOM. Censorship is not a belief in this family.

I played a kludgey Flash port of the shareware episode (probably on Newgrounds) as a kid, probably around 2005-8. Maybe the dumbest way possible to find out about Doom, but I have no regrets. As to when I got into pwads and stuff and started investing serious attention in the game, I guess it was around 2017, but unfortunately I have no memory at all of what triggered my interest.

My first experience came from DOOM (2016) actually. Ever since then, I decided to get DOOM (1993) and DOOM II and boy I enjoyed it. This was around 2018 - 2019 when I first played DOOM (1993) and DOOM II.

Ever since then, I've been seriously into DOOM. Played DOOM 3 (didn't enjoy it that much) and Doom: Eternal, which was amazing!

I took turns playing the shareware version at an old mates place when we were back in primary school :-)

Doom, Jill of the jungle, Duke Nukem 2 and Wacky Wheels Racing were the bomb back in the day!!!

Ahhhh good times :-P

52 minutes ago, Castle Dreadful said:

Yes, they introduced a 3 year old to DOOM. Censorship is not a belief in this family.

Kinda similar here, I was 4-5 years old when I played the Shareware version of Doom for the first time.

I think it's not that uncommon to see people with first Doom experience at such young age as one may think at first.

So it was Chex Quest, I was either in late elementary school or early middle school. Chex Quest 3, specifically. I got involved in the CQ modding community and eventually discovered Doom which was kind of the "real" section of CQ mods.

1 hour ago, Castle Dreadful said:

How old were you when you first played DOOM?

LoL. It was a pretty popular topic. here it is. 

I found it on the PS store about a bit over a year ago when I was 12, and I haven't stopped playing it since. 

My old man bought the shareware version and had me play it with God Mode on when I was six years old. I don't remember anything else terribly specific than that hehe.

12 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

LoL. It was a pretty popular topic. here it is. 

Yeah

Then again we gotta understand that Doomworld forums is like (at least, I think) 21 years old, so pretty much many topics may repeat in time over and over again. And I guess it's fine as long as it doesn't become reaaaally overrepetitive or transforms into spam.

Thinking about the users who have been in these forums since the early 2000's, they must have seen like gazillions of topics of "What's your favorite Doom game?" and such. But well, new users come in every day and they can express themselves and speak their minds. At least it's a good opportunity for those who want to contribute to the community and/or raise their "content count" as forum member in a fun and easy way by giving their opinion or telling their story :P

1 hour ago, Castle Dreadful said:

I apologize if this has been posted before. I did a search and didn't see anything.

Oh really not?

(Search string: ''First doom experience'')

And with that same string, you get this very recent thread from September, which coincidentially asks the very same question you are asking: How old were you when you first played Doom?

May i ask what search term you used?

31 minutes ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

so pretty much many topics may repeat in time over and over again.

yeah. the topic was last replied in only a couple of days ago, but it still makes sense. I made a topic called Share your Music, and then I found out about the popular topic Serenade us with your Music. So, it could happen to everyone. 

1 hour ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

Yeah

Then again we gotta understand that Doomworld forums is like (at least, I think) 21 years old, so pretty much many topics may repeat in time over and over again. And I guess it's fine as long as it doesn't become reaaaally overrepetitive or transforms into spam.

The thing is, its always the same deadbeat questions:

• ''What's your favorite/best/worst//first/last/unexpected source port/level/map editor/episode/megawad/midi program/author/music/WAD/weapon/monster''?
  • ''How can i load up level X in PrBoom/GZDoom/VanillaDoom/Eternity/VaVoom/Legacy''?
  • ''How do i make a sprite/rip a texture/place a song?''
  • ''GZDoom Builder crashes, please help''
  • ''DoomKid's making a Vanilla wad again. What should i do?''

Especially Questions 1,2 and 3 are far too common. And also often asked by new people who don't stick around to actually be part of the community, but rather to ask that tiresome question.

I much rather would want an overarching thread, on the FrontPage preferably, that indexes the answers to these questions and presents them before a thread is made. This in turn has the byeffect of functioning as a ''Guide for noobies'' to the most common questions out there.

31 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

yeah. the topic was last replied in only a couple of days ago, but it still makes sense. I made a topic called Share your Music, and then I found out about the popular topic Serenade us with your Music. So, it could happen to everyone. 

Literally a recent topic that is pretty prominent on the first page. Sometimes it helps looking first in advance, or apply the following adagium to ask yourself?

''Does the thread i am going to make contain a question i can assume has likely been asked before?''

• If yes: Don't make the thread.
  • If no: Don't make the thread. Because it is likely being asked before anyway.
Edited by Redneckerz

6 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

If no: Don't make the thread. Because it is likely being asked before anyway.

That happens to me all the time, and then I realize the topic has never been made. It just seems obvious, but it might be so obvious, that nobody else makes it. That happened with the DOOM tip thread I made yesterday. After a bunch of research, I figured out the topic had never been made. 

Also, sometimes recreating these topics introduce new members to the topic. Some of those topics you posted are old. So it might just be easier to just remake the topic, rather than resurrect an old one. 

13 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

That happens to me all the time, and then I realize the topic has never been made. It just seems obvious, but it might be so obvious, that nobody else makes it.

Except it likely has been made earlier, but with different phrasing. So if you search for the phrasing you would use in your thread, you would not find the answer, leading you to think it has never been made before.

That happened with the DOOM tip thread I made yesterday. After a bunch of research, I figured out the topic had never been made. 

Because you searched for exact phrasing, not alternative phrasing. Tips like that would fit very well in Things about Doom you just found out, or, if you want to supplement it with a video, Post your Doom video! (But don't quote video).

Also, sometimes recreating these topics introduce new members to the topic. Some of those topics you posted are old. So it might just be easier to just remake the topic, rather than resurrect an old one. 

I knew someone would bring that up as a ''Aha! got you now!'' They are literally on the very first page when you search for ''first doom experience'' (so even using the phrasing that would confirm this) so if OP did a search and didn't see anything, he/she used not a logical search term. If you want answers to such a question - It has already been answered before.

The only reason a topic like this gets made is because you supposely would want to know what other people's choices are. But similar threads give you the exact same... confirmation?

You won't get any definitive answer since port choice is subjective. To make it somewhat more interesting this could use a poll - but even then, what would the point of discussion be?

But to stay on-topic since else you get that other argument of straying too offtopic: I played it for the first time in 2000/2001, i believe, using what has to be Doom95.

The forum is ~twenty years old; an ancient thread on the same subject shouldn't necessarily preclude a new one.

I first played Doom in '94 on vacation in Canada. We were staying with my mum's cousin, who ran an IT business at the time. Back home we had no PC and I hadn't used one before, school still used Acorn machines.

I was eleven. My second cousin was about eight years older than me and proficient, even mapping with what I guess was DoomEd or maybe DEU. I could barely play and needed the cheats on but I was instantly hooked, p. much for life. I'm sure I should've seen even more of Canada, but I played a lot of Doom.

Coming back home after those few weeks was what I imagine coming off a drug must be like. I was used to 8-bit games on Sega, this experience was mind-blowing in comparison. I even dreamed about Doom for a while. I had to wait two years before I could play again, and had PSX Doom before we had a PC at home. I wore my PSX out playing Doom on it.

I am sorry, guys. I realize that I used poor phrasing in my search and recreated a tired thread. I just replayed DOOM and DOOM II and was so stoked on it that I didn't search well enough and made a mistake. My bad.

I searched "doom age." lol not very thorough.

5 hours ago, pritch said:

The forum is ~twenty years old; an ancient thread on the same subject shouldn't necessarily preclude a new one.

This.

5 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

The thing is, its always the same deadbeat questions:

• ''What's your favorite/best/worst//first/last/unexpected source port/level/map editor/episode/megawad/midi program/author/music/WAD/weapon/monster''?
  • ''How can i load up level X in PrBoom/GZDoom/VanillaDoom/Eternity/VaVoom/Legacy''?
  • ''How do i make a sprite/rip a texture/place a song?''
  • ''GZDoom Builder crashes, please help''

I can't agree much tbh. I mean, I kinda agree in the part that the first is generic question is "deadbeat" as you said (but still legit and valid questions), but I can't agree on the others as they are looking for solutions on technical problems or doubts.

Sure, those kind of questions also get repeated over time, but it's way more useful to get a customized answer suited for your own problem and learning experience as people understand and learn in different ways. As long as there are people willing to answer on how to solve those problems, the forum is serving it's purpose and asking there should be no problem.

6 hours ago, Castle Dreadful said:

I am sorry, guys. I realize that I used poor phrasing in my search and recreated a tired thread. I just replayed DOOM and DOOM II and was so stoked on it that I didn't search well enough and made a mistake. My bad.

Don't worry! At least you tried to do it beforehand, that's something! And that's much better than just not doing it and posting anyway because you don't care.

6 hours ago, Castle Dreadful said:

It's really fine. You aren't the first person to do it, and it would totally make sense, like Pritch said (also, Pritch is back?). We're here to help you, not get angry that you remade a thread. 

9 hours ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

This.

I can't agree much tbh. I mean, I kinda agree in the part that the first is generic question is "deadbeat" as you said (but still legit and valid questions), but I can't agree on the others as they are looking for solutions on technical problems or doubts.

The thing is, you can literally find the answer by searching regarding Question 1. What does making a new thread establish? People give you the same answers that you would have gotten if you searched, because its not like a very significant source port appears overnight.

Note that i am not raining down the parade on the OP as the OP atleast made an attempt to search in the first place. That's already better than the majority of

9 hours ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

Sure, those kind of questions also get repeated over time, but it's way more useful to get a customized answer suited for your own problem and learning experience as people understand and learn in different ways. As long as there are people willing to answer on how to solve those problems, the forum is serving it's purpose and asking there should be no problem.

But you could avoid a lot of these questions by providing an index to commonly asked questions first and formost. People answer these to help others out, but how are you going to keep new community members here if they have to keep on asking obvious questions?

So perhaps the barrier needs to be lower, ease of use instead of answering the question every single time. But that's for another thread i reckon.

....Anyways my first Doom Experience was when I was around 10 with Doom 3, eventually I found out about Legacy of Suffering mod, which made me find Skulltag, which made me curious to check out Classic Doom.

I remember really liking the game and thinking it was perfectly fine, then I decided to visit this forum and find people bringing up all sorts of weird complaints about cheap jumpscares and crappy shotgun. I don't think I would have even noticed these if I didn't get involved in this community stuff, just goes to show the internet will always find ways to ruin things for you lol. I still like the game anyways, flawed or not.

Edited by sluggard

4 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

What does making a new thread establish? People give you the same answers that you would have gotten if you searched, because its not like a very significant source port appears overnight.

Because people go to forums not only seeking answers, but also to post their own opinion. People want to speak their mind on forums.

Because there's new members who wanna get involved into community and wanna be conversation (thead) starters. Most likely, only then they will read the answers of others (as if they were advices or explanation for their question).

Because preferences change over time even if source ports don't "appear overnight".

Because they probably don't want to revive an old thread unnecessarily, which I think it's fine. It keeps the forum fresh and plenty of life.

Edited by SirJuicyLemon

Kind of a shitty experience 'cause the PC was so underpowered and didn't even have a soundcard. The only way to make it playable was to reduce the screen size to its lowest (I didn't know about the low detail option, sadly). Probably 1995 or 1996. Despite all this I was still amazed by the game. It looked like real life to me which is funny now.

We had DOOM on pc when it released. I played a little of it, but since we're talking about a time before mouselook, before optical mice, it was less playable than it is today and I thought to myself, "Well, maybe I'll like it someday." And I did! 

I was in a class in English and I just finished an essay and handed it in, my teacher said I could play some flash games on my chromebook (lucky me), I remember searching about Good Flash Games and it came up saying some competent ones like Super Mario 63, but there was a mentioned port of Doom. I decided to try it and I really liked it. I couldn't get past the 3rd level but I loved it so much that I bought it on switch and bought the classic games on steam. A pretty strange way to get into Doom but a way none the less.

My brother bought a Pentium 166 that had win95 and it came loaded with the Doom shareware that included Doom95. I used his comp when he wasn't using it and I had no idea the game was on there. One day I went to see what he was doing and he was playing Doom and I was like cooool! So I played it after he was done and nothing was ever the same again..

Back in the 90s when I was 8 or something I played Doom II in the attic where my dad had installed a few computers. Later that night I remember having terrible nightmares about Imps trying to get to me; it was so real that I still remember that 25 years later. My parents had to stay up all night to watch over me and I wasn't allowed to play that game until I was at least a few years older.

I started to play Doom since I was in kindergarden. Like 4 or 5 years old. I played on an old IBM machine with an unofficial disk that has poorly written "DOOM II" with a pen. I remember doing my homework as quick as posible to play Doom the rest of the day. I played for the first time with my dad, he was using the arrows and spacebar to move and interact with the switches and doors, and I was using the CTRL to fire. Great teamwork!