Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SiFi270

Found an unfamiliar screenshot in a book of game reviews

The book in question is The Video Games Guide by Matt Fox, and seems to have been written and/or published in 2006. It's obviously a British publication, because reviews of ZX Spectrum games are especially prominent. In the middle of the book is a full color gallery of all the games that got a five star rating, most of which seem to have been graded on historical significance more than actual quality. I was quite embarrassed at first not to recognize where its screenshot of Doom was from. It was obviously somewhere in Episode 3, but I couldn't recall any setup quite like it. And it wasn't like it'd be taken from some PWAD or another... right? But when I went through that episode with no monsters the next morning, I couldn't find any matches. The author may have got all these screenshots from Google Images or something. So now I'm going to share it here to see if it looks familiar to anyone else.

IMG_20201004_100608.jpg.9b664ee06a975a6533f286a903f2b9bd.jpg

Please forgive the quality. It was quite a big book, so I thought scanning would be too much hassle and took a photo. I feel like the simplicity and relative competence place it somewhere in '94 or '95.

I’m so sure that’s a map found on one of those old shovelware discs, that view of the bars with imps on the outside is SO familiar..

@Maximum Matt is this shot ringing any bells for you? Or perhaps @Never_Again would recognise it?

Interesting. I don't think it was a Google Search. My guess is that whoever made the gallery opened up games, played a bit of it, then created a screenshot. I bet that they had used somebody else's computer, and that person was playing a WAD at the time. But since whoever made this was probably not a huge DOOM fan, they most likely did not notice that it wasn't the main game and just posted it. 

Hey listen, I dont know where the screenshot is from, but when taking a photo of a magazine or photograph etc you can use the app Office lens (there are probably several others that work similarly) and it will be almost as good as if you used a scanner. 

I tried it, but had some frustration getting a photo good enough to work with. But then I tried actually scanning it and it mostly went better than I expected.

Scan_20201004.jpg.5e7bbb500de0333395af0ed91b2402f1.jpg

Thank you so much, it was driving me crazy yesterday. Glad I got to play it.

EDIT: I have a habit of looking through my old posts and that's how I noticed the answer was removed for some reason. It was Hell on Holiday.

Edited by SiFi270

Thank you, @waveplay! That's a solid level design here, btw. Don't like a Telepad texture on floors, but it's still interesting to play! Reminds somehow the Sigil maps.

BTW, maybe there is a way to find THIS map?

TSryDrJsdVg.jpg

Most likely a scrapped PSX-exclusive level. It shows the PSX Doom status bar after all. Perhaps it was even a test level, if we assume the tally screen in the middle is related (not necessarily the case since the automap screen isn't) then it's in the level 1 slot, which is consistent with the episode 1 sky.

It's interesting to note the automap screenshot shows a map view of Toxin Refinery but labels it as Command Control.

15 minutes ago, Gez said:

Most likely a scrapped PSX-exclusive level.

I'm not really sure about this because the Innermost Dens (a clone of Inmost Dens) exists. They could just use another custom map instead of building from scratch.

Hm, that PSX image makes me think of an early iteration of Doom 2's The Factory, actually, particularly the outdoor sections around that lonely Mancubus you can teleport to.

But it could also be an exclusive level, or a test map, the latter sounds more likely to me since, if the summary screen is taken into account, that map is called "Hangar", which it most certainly is not.

YVSupdEWwMs.jpg

Thanks, @waveplay! Found here another one screenshot (the bigger one). Looks like it's a platform/lift. On picture above it's just a flat red floor which means it moved. Interesting...

I dig the Doomguy art in that CVG article. On most of those, though, wow...a lot of that copy is absolutely cringeworthy.

Edited by Job

There are these two screenshots that are scene on the ModDB entry for DOOM (1993) that I don't know about either wads' origins.

Here they are:

profile1.jpg

profile2.jpg

As well as this unknown PWAD on the bottom, where the top is MAP02 of TNT Evilution of these ZDOOM mod screenshots seen here:

yxvd4.png

If anyone here know the origins of these PWADs let me know.

Those last two screenshots (with pistol+SSG) remind me of one of the Tim Willits' (I believe) Master Levels - ATTACK.WAD I think?

2 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Those last two screenshots (with pistol+SSG) remind me of one of the Tim Willits' (I believe) Master Levels - ATTACK.WAD I think?

It's probably from Memento Mori 1 or 2, or the Wraith Corperation PWADs Hell to Pay or Perdition's Gate.

1 hour ago, Wadmodder RiderPùdu said:

It's probably from Memento Mori 1 or 2, or the Wraith Corperation PWADs Hell to Pay or Perdition's Gate.

Doesn’t look like any level I can remember from the Wraith wads.

Weird that the TNT pics have the Doom II sky.

14 hours ago, Wadmodder RiderPùdu said:

As well as this unknown PWAD on the bottom, where the top is MAP02 of TNT Evilution of these ZDOOM mod screenshots seen here:

yxvd4.png

Looks like Memento Mori MAP19.