Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

Should there be a new Quake Port?

This is more of a what if, but still a question I'd like to ask the community. 

Would you like to see a remake/reboot/modern console port of Quake? Some talk about it has started over at the DOOM Unity Port Thread, and I thought that maybe I could move the conversation over to here, where the conversation can be more focused on the topic. 

With the release of DOOM on modern platforms, I feel like Quake would be the obvious next choice. It is an amazing game, that I'm sure many would enjoy it with new content. Although the modding scene for Quake is not that large, I would love to see official add-ons for it like they did for DOOM, and I would love to see those custom levels from the N64 version of Quake 2 be available on all platforms.

So, what do you think? Is Quake an obvious choice for a remake/reboot/console port, or do you think ID and Bethesda's talents are better suited for somewhere else?

Edited by LiT_gam3r

Quake may have a smaller community than Doom, but it's still very much alive and well with new content coming out on a regular basis, so with that being said yes, I'd love a remaster of the first two games, even Quake 2 although I am personally not fond of it for a number of reasons, but both had unique features on the N64 - Q2 an entirely new set of levels even -, so that, combined with an existing fanbase and quite possibly many newcomers, make it a very worthwhile endeavor.

In fact, I would argue it'll probably be even more worthwhile than the Unity Doom remaster.

Edited by seed

7 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

So, what do you think? Is Quake an obvious choice for a remake, or do you think ID and Bethesda's talents are better suited for somewhere else?

Well ah, what else of worth have they actually been doing lately aside from Doom Eternal and selling themselves to Microsoft? :p

To be honest I don't think Quake would work as well as Doom did in being a AAA trying-to-be mainstream game. Doom's appeal is fairly straight forward, the demons are coming from hell, rip and tear.

But Quake is more weird than that, and its weirdness is an important part of what makes it stand out. Basically I'm saying I think if they tried to make a AAA remake, they'd find it difficult to translate Quake's identity onto a new game, and so would probably change it to become more marketable and turn it into something else thereby ruining the point of the endeavour in the first place.

But a remaster would be nice. Unlike the Doom Unity port though it'd be nice to have it running at native HD, and running as fast as the graphics cards of today will allow. 

Or you know, ruin its look with Ray Tracing just because.  

I'd love for the madlads at MachineGames to do a Quake remaster/remake should such a thing ever come to pass. If you've played their free campaign episode they put together for the game's 20th anniversary back in 2016, I'm sure you'd agree. Those guys "get it" and I'm confident they would do an incredible job.

Quake should get a fifth installment where you play as Ranger and finally defeat Quake. Or maybe some spin-off based on that Commander Keen screen talking about a trans-dimensional Quakeguy

since quake 2 got an rtx version I suppose it would be nice if quake got one to, even just a simple graphics update would work.

I was under the impression, since this came from the Doom Unity thread, this would be about a port? Quake definitely needs a new official port ala Doom Unity, but only if they can get the rights back to the OST.

As far as a remake? I don't know. Quake is a weird game to remake. It's "identity" is laying the foundation of every 3D first person shooter that followed, so I see no compelling way to re-imagine it or modernize it that won't just retread ground that has by this point been tread thousands of times.

What made Doom 2016 such a compelling remake is there was a desperate need for a shooter with emphasis on movement, a varied bestiary, and weapon sandbox that encouraged smart decision making, in the AAA space. Since it was in 3D, a lot of what made Quake such a big deal was already implemented. If there was any interest in making a new Quake, It'd have to do something radically different, and by that point it's Quake in name only.

I just don't see anything Quake did that would be interesting to revive that hasn't already been done in Nu Doom. Quake had fewer, tankier enemies than Doom, but I don't know if there's possibility for that to be expanded upon or made more interesting (feel free to correct me on this).

This post makes it sound like I dislike Quake. I don't! I just don't see what a new Quake game would give us other than a new game with the title.

1 minute ago, M_W said:

this would be about a port

That's what I meant. I was trying to figure out the word, and I couldn't figure out what it could be. But that is basically it. A console port.

The original Quake is perfect as is.

BUT I would be extremely glad to see some kind of Reboot. Like Doom 2016 did. I'm kinda miss the Lovecraftian theme inside the Quake franchise. I do love the Strogg history, but I think it's time for some Mystical...Dark Places.

Yeah, dat pun :>

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

Quake doesn't need a remake because it's perfect the way it is.

1 hour ago, SilverMiner said:

I don't want remake, I want a completely new game

This. Fuck remakes! Give us a new game in the Quake 1 universe or go to hell. ;)

Just now, Doom_Dude said:

Fuck remakes! 

I fixed the original post, so now instead of a remake/remaster, it is a remake/reboot/console port.

There are still Quake maps being made to this day with active web sites to upload them and talk about them so I wouldn't call the scene small. However, a remake of Quake 1 with a new episode or something would be cool.

Quake with Darkplaces + 

51 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:

This. Fuck remakes! Give us a new game in the Quake 1 universe or go to hell. ;)

I'd like to see this too, but wouldn't this inevitably involve having to implement a proper narrative, as well as modern mechanics and upgrade systems? Can it still feel Quake-y at that point?

Yes, absolutely I would like to see that happen.

So what current problem do I have with Quake 1 ports ? Well, my only problem with Quake is, darkplaces has no mods folder which works fine. I know you'd say "put them in id1 folder, THE IMP." I already know that, THANKS but not all mods especially maps do not work in there, because of some weird f****** reasons I guess. Sometimes game doesn't read them, sometimes I can not activate them. I might be doing something wrong or maybe it is the lack of coding of ports, IDK. I am using Quakeinjector to install maps properly. It is not a big deal but when it comes to mods. There is when the pain starts to kicks in to my heart. Did I also mention you, finding a specific solution for quake ports takes more time than a solution for doom ports. HAH !... It causes cancer.

Quake 1 and 2 haven't been ported to any console since the N64, so yeah, absolutely there should be.

1 hour ago, Doom_Dude said:

I'm definitely up for that.

Quake is easily id's most experimental series, as it was seen which each entry which has no relation to the previous. It'll forever bother me that they dumped the Lovecraftian shit after just one game, but here's hoping that if they reboot it next, they go back there. I feel that this is the only way to actually make it worthwhile and just different enough from Doom. Quake 2, 3 Arena, or 4 style? No can do. Each game has its merits, but they aren't nearly unique enough and interesting to be worth revisiting.

Sorry if I look noob, but there should be a quake sourceport that emulate vanilla quake, I mean like when was released in 1996

7 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

Sorry if I look noob, but there should be a quake sourceport that emulate vanilla quake, I mean like when was released in 1996

There already is, I think Quakespasm is pretty much as vanilla as it gets, just run it in 320x200 in Software and there you have it.

Knowing that id now belongs to Microsoft, and both Carmack and Romero like this direction, it's only a matter of time for OG Quake to get the Classic Doom treatment.

1 minute ago, seed said:

There already is, I think Quakespasm is pretty much as vanilla as it gets, just run it in 320x200 in Software and there you have it.

Really thanks by that advice about resolution of screen, I'll gonna test it. About that I said it because I had to look on google how make quake looks from '96.

For me could be perfect existed a port that you shouldn't change video settings. Like in chocolate doom.

@Raleigh @seed

Mark V is pretty decent if you want a vanilla-ish Quake1 experience- comes with a software renderer executable and one that mimics GLQuake (mp3 soundtrack support too for added convenience.) I don't think Quakespasm actually has a software mode.

As far as a remake/reboot/re-release goes though- I'm one of those impossible to please oldschool fans, so I probably wouldn't be all that interested unless the multiplayer component was especially compelling.

An updated port with better compatibility on modern systems and built-in soundtrack would probably be an excellent idea though.

The original Quake has pretty much been left to rot, no good official way to play it, no console ports beyond the N64 and Saturn ports, and theres always so much bullshit trying to get it running in source ports WITH music.

It should definitely get a new port/release down the line, something like the current Doom port; updated for today's systems and working out of the box, and able to run on multiple different systems for those who never got to play it but dont do PC gaming. An iteration of Quake 2 and Quake 3 appeared on the Xbox 360, but the original Quake is always left forgotten.

Ideally a Quake port today would have both the original soundtrack and the N64 soundtrack, any exclusive levels the two console ports had, and the two expansions bundled in. Easy modding support or 'featured mods' like with Doom would be a good thing too.

Quake 2 and Wolfenstein 3D could also benefit from an updated release, a complete Wolfenstein 3D pack would be a perfect bonus with the next Wolfenstein main game, which has been steadily increasing the amount of bonus Wolf3D content hidden in the games with every release.

The only reason there hasn't been any release of Quake that makes sense to me has to be the soundtrack. Quake 3 got a F2P release, Quake 2 has a friggen RTX port for Pete's sake. Quake? Nothing.

32 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Ideally a Quake port today would have both the original soundtrack and the N64 soundtrack, any exclusive levels the two console ports had, and the two expansions bundled in. Easy modding support or 'featured mods' like with Doom would be a good thing too.

Don't forget the colored lighting of the N64 port too.

It was provided for free by Trent Reznor, along with the SFX, IIRC.

If I had to take a WILD guess, it'd be that id was a small company at the time and didn't have water-tight agreements that would satisfy corporate lawyers at large publishers years later to include without worrying about issues.

I have ZERO evidence to support this. Just guessing.

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

Is the music a problem because it is owned by NIN?

No, both Quake 1 and 2 are missing their respective soundtracks on digital store copies now because back in the day the music files were built into the CD-ROMs the games were originally released in. They've never bothered to fix the digital releases of the games, so they're music-less. This is why people have to go out of their way to restore the soundtracks by obtaining the files online and following tutorials on how to do so.

I wouldn't mind a Quake 1 and 2 compilation port on Switch. That would be really cool I think.