Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ar_e_en

DEHACKED Editing on Linux?

Question

I am experimenting with SLADE and DOOM wad making and I have learned a lot of things (basic boom based level creation, PLAYPAL fuckery, replacing music, ajbsp node creation, etc.), and I want to make a 3-5 level DOOM 2 wad that can run on PrBoom+ with an integrated DEHACKED lump. I know that Whacked4 exists, and I have messed around with it years ago, but it's Windows only.

Is there any Linux based way to edit/create DEHACKED files?

Do I have to bust out wine? (because I don't want to use wine)

4 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

I was looking for something with a better interface and more DEHACKED options (boom and mbf support).

For Boom, there is BEX.

I did find a program called "Linux Doom Hack Editor" that is basically the program that you mentioned, but rewritten to work on Linux. I tried it, but it doesn't have boom and mbf support, also it was made in 1995 and therefor doesn't work on modern Linux (I tried it in the terminal, it gave me an error).

I was about to suggest this. It was made by Sam Lantinga, and although there should be a version out there that supports the latest Dehacked version, the one available supports version 2.3, i believe.

Even so, that version is strictly Vanilla.

I guess my best option is to use a virtual machine (I found out that wine can't run Whacked4, it isn't even listed on wines website). Or maybe I'll go find an old cheep Windows PC.

DEH9000 might be one other option?

I was looking for something with a better interface and more DEHACKED options (boom and mbf support). I did find a program called "Linux Doom Hack Editor" that is basically the program that you mentioned, but rewritten to work on Linux. I tried it, but it doesn't have boom and mbf support, also it was made in 1995 and therefor doesn't work on modern Linux (I tried it in the terminal, it gave me an error).

I guess my best option is to use a virtual machine (I found out that wine can't run Whacked4, it isn't even listed on wines website). Or maybe I'll go find an old cheep Windows PC.

46 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

DEH9000 might be one other option?

I checked out the Github for it. I can see myself using it for some very broad uses (merging files and changing multiple text strings or level par times), but I think that with very specific actions - writing multiple .py scripts might become very tedious.

I think I'll go with the virtualization or extra PC option.

But still, thanks for bringing it up!