• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zolgia108

Unmodified Idsoftware resources

Question

Hi guys.

My wad was rejected by idgames due to:

Sun Oct  4 18:41:29 EDT 2020 Rejected Happy.ZIP because: Contains unmodified id Software resource(s)
Sun Oct  4 18:41:30 EDT 2020 Rejected Happy.txt because: Contains unmodified id Software resource(s)

What does this exactly mean? So that i can properly fix it. I mean, what are the "resources" in this case? Thanks a lot

12 answers to this question

The normal cause of this is that your wad includes patches, flats, and/or sprites from the IWAD it's intended for. I guess it could also include music or sound effects as well - music from the IWAD but in a different slot (e.g. D_RUNNIN renamed to D_STALKS) should still be accepted, but if it's in the normal slot it probably wouldn't be.

Resources from a different IWAD, such as Doom 1-only patches in a Doom 2 wad, should be accepted as there are plenty of such wads on the archive.

11 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

The normal cause of this is that your wad includes textures, flats, and/or sprites from the IWAD it's intended for. I guess it could also include music or sound effects as well - music from the IWAD but in a different slot (e.g. D_RUNNIN renamed to D_STALKS) should still be accepted, but if it's in the normal slot it probably wouldn't be.

Ok the only thing that corresponds to this is the music, cause i actually changed the slots! Maybe that is the problem. I dont have any resource from the iwads honestly

Edit: no wait, music is all different, i didnt take it from the iwad, but for example d_runnin is used on map 6. Then im using some newsprites with the same name,is that a problem? Also, are we sure they just mean iwads and not other pwads in general? It seema very strange to me

Edited by Zolgia108

To be honest, after almost 30 years the IWAD music is rather stale anyway. There are hundreds if not thousands of fan-made midis which you could make use of instead.

Here's a good place to start: https://doommidis.com/

A couple of other composer which I don't think can be found via the above link:

Alfonzo: http://alfonzo.the-powerhouse.net/

Ribbiks: http://rbkz.net/midi/

2 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

To be honest, after almost 30 years the IWAD music is rather stale anyway. There are hundreds if not thousands of fan-made midis which you could make use of instead.

Here's a good place to start: https://doommidis.com/

A couple of other composer which I don't think can be found via the above link:

Alfonzo: http://alfonzo.the-powerhouse.net/

Ribbiks: http://rbkz.net/midi/

Hello m8, i m sorry there was a misunderstanding. Im not using any music from iwads, everything is custom. I just meant that the names (for example d runnin) are not always connected to the same levels as in the iwads. In my case d running is the music for map 6.

Just having the same name as a lump in the IWAD wouldn't cause this problem - there must be at least one lump somewhere which is identical to a lump in the IWAD.

Perhaps you could upload the wad to somewhere like Google Drive or Dropbox, and we could take a look?

4 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Just having the same name as a lump in the IWAD wouldn't cause this problem - there must be at least one lump somewhere which is identical to a lump in the IWAD.

Perhaps you could upload the wad to somewhere like Google Drive or Dropbox, and we could take a look?

Sure, here it is

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9b43dhre4uwum6/Happy.ZIP?dl=1

i tried the maintanance thing and it didn't delete anything at all.

The file in slade is a mess please excuse me for that :)

EDIT: and thank a lot for your time mate

these are the things that come to my mind that can be possibly be the problems:

1) the various M_newg M_skill etc that i modified slightly (just changing the color)

2) the monsters sprites which i left with the same name (but it was done in valiant and ancient aliens as well for example)

3) the flat that is used beside the hud, i changed the texture but left the same name (which i don't remember right now).

Are these problems?

I may have found the culprit: the lump SW11_4 is identical to the one in doom2.wad. SW11_5 should be fine, although you've got it in the middle of the flats instead of the rest of the patches (GATE7 has the same issue)

4 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

I may have found the culprit: the lump SW11_4 is identical to the one in doom2.wad. SW11_5 should be fine, although you've got it in the middle of the flats instead of the rest of the patches (GATE7 has the same issue)

thanks a bunch!!!

I ll try with this.

One question though:

i changed grnrock flat (but i left the same name) to change what's around the hud, is it a problem? And in case it is, do you know how to change the name of the flat used there?

EDIT: wait so i should just delete sw11_4 in your opinion?

Yes, as far as I can tell SW11_4 is all you need to remove.

Lumps that happen to have the same name as IWAD lumps but are otherwise different are absolutely fine, and this is the only way to change certain things (especially when making vanilla-compatible wads).

Lumps that are only slightly changed from the IWAD are also okay, and are often necessary if you alter or replace the colour palette - see Ancient Aliens and BSTS for example. However, if only some of the colours in the palette are changed you should only replace lumps which use those particular colours.

It's only when lumps in your wad and the intended IWAD are completely identical that there's an issue.

13 minutes ago, NiGHTMARE said:

Yes, as far as I can tell SW11_4 is all you need to remove.

Lumps that happen to have the same name as IWAD lumps but are otherwise different are absolutely fine, and this is the only way to change certain things (especially when making vanilla-compatible wads).

Lumps that are only slightly changed from the IWAD are also okay, and are often necessary if you alter or replace the colour palette - see Ancient Aliens and BSTS for example. However, if only some of the colours in the palette are changed you should only replace lumps which use those particular colours.

It's only when lumps in your wad and the intended IWAD are completely identical that there's an issue.

thanks... you have been very useful, i will try again now and see what happens, then i ll surely let you know!