Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

What songs do you think should NEVER be in a Doom wad?

4 hours ago, AinuTheTaken said:

Any song that's copyrighted. Can get YouTubers in trouble so be careful what you record. The music industry is so possessive as of 2020 and nobody knows why they're as strict as they are.

"Any song that's copyrighted" would also include royalty-free music like Kevin MacLeod songs.  It all depends on how a song's copyright is enforced.

Some songs could get a video blocked in certain countries by the copyright holder while others could possibly result in a strike (as far as I know, that is).  I know from experience that MIDIs can be detected depending on how close they song to the original and the soundfont or MIDI sound module used to record the MIDI.  The worst that happened to me was a video featuring my MIDI cover of "Senbonzakura" being monetized by the copyright holder in certain countries and being blocked in Denmark (no idea why Denmark specifically).  For some reason, it's no longer blocked in Denmark anymore so I'm very confused :D

The vanilla megawad I'm working on features copyrighted music by DCG Retrowave that is sold/streamed online.  Of course, since I am DCG Retrowave, I have permission from the copyright holder (me :D) to include custom MIDI versions of a few songs from my 2019 album, "Sunset Drive".  If a YouTube video contains any of my original music, it is automatically claimed on my behalf.  However, this only affects the ability to monetize that video and will never result in a video being blocked in any country or affect a channel with a strike.

That said, if someone is unsure about including a particular song in a WAD, they should do some research first to be safe.  MIDIs aren't usually an issue, but it depends on how close they are to the original (according to the automatic system that claims the song on YouTube).  If you are certain the only thing that will happen to the video is a simple claim so the copyright holder earns royalties, then you're safe.  Otherwise, I agree that it's better to be safe than sorry.

I believe a musician has a right to earn royalties if a video features their song, but I definitely don't agree with restrictive measures like copyright strikes that can damage a YouTube channel.

MIDI music is life :D

You know what I think would be an interesting spin on this? Naming maps that don't fit their music choice. Every song can be made to fit in with Doom so long as the map is themed appropriately, but it would be interesting for people to name so examples of maps they felt really clashed with the music. It's not a value judgement on either the map or the song, but I'm sure I've seen a few examples of this over the years.

When Doomed in Space was still being worked on, Eris submitted a MIDI that kicked total ass, but it just happened to clash with the map that was missing music. I'd be curious to see other specific examples of this.

9 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Toxic could fit a map with...*drums, please* Radioactive floor!!!

Recent speedmapping project, Isolation, has exactly that. Strain 1, MAP13, The Washing Well. 

2 hours ago, 129thVisplane said:

baby shark

Would fit Hell-Forged's super-secret map, whenever that one is ready.

I mean here's Amuscaria's concept art for the enemies:

Ee6YJhf.png

Most of these have been done. If you think "all pop music" should never be in Doom, you're too narrow-minded and haven't played enough WADs and mods. DBP25 has a soundtrack including stuff like Never Gonna Give You Up and Barbie Girl for if you don't use a UMAPINFO compatible port (I think older ZDoom MAPINFOs are also in there). Kama Sutra has a Michael Jackson track on an earlier level and loads of speed maps and more light-hearted maps and projects have appropriate music choices. As pointed out by @A.H. Sankhatayan and @P41R47, I've done some of this stuff myself :P

The only limit on music, really, should be whether the mapper thinks it fits (and, preferably, likes it). If you happen to be joe-ilya and keep putting Green Day or whatever in your maps, more power to you - it's a distinctive trait to help your maps stand out... Even if most players don't approve!

Edited by Phobus

7 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Come to think of it, the only classical midi I've heard was Canon in D on, if I remember correctly, map32 of Mano Laikas. I'd like to know what other maps use fitting midi renditions of classical music.

TRINITY.WAD used a rendition of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor:

As for music that should never be in WADs.... I am guilty of making "compilation" music PWADs out of Eurodance/Europop MIDIs back in the 1990s, and using those in-game, using IDMUS as a "track selector". I actually liked Doom's timbre/instrument set over most other MIDI players (using Soundblaster/Soundblaster 16).

That being said, WADs like UNDERSEA.WAD just wouldn't be the same without their iconic 80s Synth-pop soundtrack:

Or even stuff like Cybie 2: "Let the dream come true" indeed ;-)

Edited by Maes

It depends of the midi rendition. You can have an awesome music but a shitty midi of it.

Inversely , a "silly" song may sounds good thanks to a good midi composer.

Edited by Roofi

15 hours ago, orangefire222 said:

I'd be hard pressed to enjoy a wad with anything from The spice girls, celine deon, backstreet boys...stuff like that. DOOM IS METAL...or dark and forebodingly atmospheric.

I like how this comment could be from 1999, without any alteration.

All of you are out here trashing eurodance midis, but Stardate 20x6 map31 has Better Off Alone as its soundtrack and it works perfectly.

3 hours ago, Maes said:

UNDERSEA.WAD just wouldn't be the same without their iconic 80s Synth-pop soundtrack:

I remember that one and being all like, "Maniac??? The hell?!??"

15 hours ago, orangefire222 said:

I'd be hard pressed to enjoy a wad with anything from The spice girls, celine deon, backstreet boys...stuff like that. DOOM IS METAL...or dark and forebodingly atmospheric.

i share this taste. i appreciate the occasional unusual music track (like with the secret map in valiant where the final countdown fits wonderfully), but generally, i can't take wads with goofy music quite seriously.

whatever, IDMUS is a blessing.

Back in the mid-90's, there were all sorts of custom music packs, filled with midi versions of a variety of songs, ranging from rock to rap to the blues to classical to various Holiday songs. Some worked better than others. Some worked better than others.

Playing Doom with anything that sounds cheery (like a midi version of a traditional Christmas carol) can be a bit strange.

"We all live in a yellow submarine... a yellow submarine... yellow submarine... we all live in a yellow submarine... a yellow submarine... yellow submarine..."

I want to take a random episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation and get just the audio into an mp3. Then I would take that mp3 and run it through a mp3 to midi converter. I am kind of curious what it would sound like, but too lazy to do it. 

14 minutes ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

"We all live in a yellow submarine... a yellow submarine... yellow submarine... we all live in a yellow submarine... a yellow submarine... yellow submarine..."

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/music/beatles

1 minute ago, Chopkinsca said:

I want to take a random episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation and get just the audio into an mp3. Then I would take that mp3 and run it through a mp3 to midi converter. I am kind of curious what it would sound like, but too lazy to do it. 

Probably like some pretentious avant-garde stuff.

2 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

I remember that one and being all like, "Maniac??? The hell?!??"

Strangely enough, that was the first time I heard the song (that I could remember). A fascinating aspect of MIDIs at the time is that they were like the MP3s of their era: you could discover new music, enjoy your favourite tunes and "warez" everything for free by downloading little files nobody seemed to care about (phone ringtones tried to put those under the squeeze, but it really didn't work out). That was even more true with tracker music, but Doom had more of an affinity for MIDI. What could be better than playing random Doom PWADs together with the music you liked, coming out of your computer speakers, in 1994? :-)

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Fits like a glove for a game as horrifying as Doom!

I forgot that was a thing. I love how he dies and that scream. LOL.

12 hours ago, DCG Retrowave said:

If you are certain the only thing that will happen to the video is a simple claim so the copyright holder earns royalties, then you're safe. 

And out of money.

D_E1M1 from animus.wad really doesn't fit with Doom at all, but who cares now, I made it and you've got it.

In all seriousness there's not type of music that can't be good for a Doom map, it depends all from the type of map.

19 hours ago, Antkibo said:

Zombie from The Cranberries, if only because MAP01 of the legendary Plutonia 3 uses it already.

Also MAP05 of 1monster uses it iirc

21 hours ago, Gez said:

If we're bringing in William Shatner, then here's a related (by way of Star Trek) suggestion for your consideration:

Leonard Nimoy as Spock, Hobbits, really cute girls dancing - what's not to like?

2 hours ago, Kokoro Hane said:

I feel like this thread is only going to fuel someone's troll wad.

I think there's already a dubstep-themed one, going as far as having "DUBSTEP" and "SKRILLEX" plastered on every wall.