Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tsareppsun

PLEASE, No more floating weaponry......

A radar?!? You mean like a screen on the wall? It is behind the railing of the walkway, yet moves at a different speed than the wall behind it when the camera pans, so it is behind the railing but in front of the wall. That means it is an object. It spins at a constant speed. It is not one line that is spinning, as a radar screen would be. It is a gun, plain and obvious. I cannot see it as anything else, though I have tried roughly 10 times since you mentioned it. When it starts the barrel is facing the left and is mostly obscured offscreen. As the screen pans up you see more of the gun, and by the time the scene ends it has rotated 180 degrees and the barrel is facing the right, with the handle and a separate grip on the left side. I am not talking about the broken glass screen behind the enemy and on the same floor as him, I am talking about on the walkway above him and behind, the walkway that ends in a fallen rock on the far left of the screen.

Now that I've watched it more than twenty or so times, I think I know what you are referring to. You are looking at some little tiny animation on the broken glass I mentioned, near the middle of the screen on the right. That is NOT it. Almost middle of screen, at the very top of the screen, above and behind the guy, on the catwalk. Look for yourself. This is the Doom Legacy movie, remember, at 0:16 (16 seconds) after it says CHAOS. I am absolutly positive that is a gun - you are looking in the wrong place.

PS - you can see the flickering light flash on the grooved handle of the gun. Without question it is a floating, rotating, 3D object that has a shiny, ribbed handle. It is a gun. Anyone know how I can take screenshots from a .MOV movie? I just need to show you where to look as you are looking in the wrong place.

Kain067 said:

A radar?!? You mean like a screen on the wall? It is behind the railing of the walkway, yet moves at a different speed than the wall behind it when the camera pans, so it is behind the railing but in front of the wall. That means it is an object. It spins at a constant speed. It is not one line that is spinning, as a radar screen would be. It is a gun, plain and obvious. I cannot see it as anything else, though I have tried roughly 10 times since you mentioned it. When it starts the barrel is facing the left and is mostly obscured offscreen. As the screen pans up you see more of the gun, and by the time the scene ends it has rotated 180 degrees and the barrel is facing the right, with the handle and a separate grip on the left side. I am not talking about the broken glass screen behind the enemy and on the same floor as him, I am talking about on the walkway above him and behind, the walkway that ends in a fallen rock on the far left of the screen.

Now that I've watched it more than twenty or so times, I think I know what you are referring to. You are looking at some little tiny animation on the broken glass I mentioned, near the middle of the screen on the right. That is NOT it. Almost middle of screen, at the very top of the screen, above and behind the guy, on the catwalk. Look for yourself. This is the Doom Legacy movie, remember, at 0:16 (16 seconds) after it says CHAOS. I am absolutly positive that is a gun - you are looking in the wrong place.

That is a spinning satalite dish or a spinning radar dish, f00l. Yes you can take a screenshot from .mov but can you post it here? No.

Ah, I see what you mean now, a radar DISH. Like a satellite dish (a note for you in the future, a radar is a screen display). I guess it is partially debatable that the same object I am talking about could be a satellite dish, but what would a satellite dish be doing on a catwalk indoors? It looks just like the "i smell fear" scene from Alpha map2, and there are no radars inside anywhere in the alpha. Read my previous post, it is a gun.

PPS - why the hell would you call someone a fool? This is a logical debate here. Some help you are. And I could post a link to that screenshot. It is not of the alpha obviously, but of an officially released movie file.

Kain067 said:

Ah, I see what you mean now, a radar DISH. Like a satellite dish (a note for you in the future, a radar is a screen display). I guess it is partially debateable that the same object I am talking about could be a satellite dish, but what would a satellite dish be doing on a catwalk indoors? It looks just like the "i smell fear" scene from Alpha map2, and there are no radars inside anywhere in the alpha. Read my previous post, it is a gun.

Dude, that is outside, see the lightning?

Yeah, lightning that is not bright (the bright part is from the scene change, check that all the scene changes come with a bright flash at the beginning of the movie) and constantly flickers. That is a fused lightbulb, a highly common occurrence in Doom 3, as evidenced in the alpha.

Kain067 said:

PPS - why the hell would you call someone a fool? This is a logical debate here. Some help you are. And I could post a link to that screenshot. It is not of the alpha obviously, but of an officially released movie file.

People on these forums call each other lots of things, and especially when someone is arguing against the majority and stubbornly continues to argue againts the majority, people tend to call them "dumbass" or "fool/f00l".

I recently had a row with a guy because I dared to call him a dumbass, which I did because he didn't manage to carry out the overly simple task of posting something in the right forum (he posted something about a remix of an old Doom tune in THIS forum), therefore I thought he was stupid enough to deserve a little "punishment" and I then called him dumbass. Then he started bitching, implying that "I was the only one that rude", completely ignoring that several other Moderators, Super Mods, Admins and Members call people worse things than "Dumbass" on these forums.

Get used to it mate, an internet forum like this one differs from real life by the fact that people use insulting phrases more openly than if it was a spoken conversation. Usually insults should not be taken too serious and if you start bitching about a Mod calling you a fool in cases where you broke the basic rules then you are a retard (you didn't break any rules here so I'm not implying that you are retarded).

Ok, back on track: Personally, I believe that spinning object is a radar dish and that it is located outside. The leaked video showed commandos dropping their chainguns in a realistic fashion, so why would there be floating weapons if they took their time to make a realistic dropping animation? Besides, how hard is it to just make a dropped weapon possible to pick up? It can't be that hard.... or can it?
As of now, I firmly believe that we won't see weapons that would give Newton a heart attack, because the game has a realistic physics engine implemented into it and people on these boards have complained about floating weapons before now, so since the id guys occasionally browse these forums, I'm inclined to believe that they are aware that having floating weapons in Doom 3 would be a bad idea.

Kain: Get the ATi testimonials video. You can see it's a radar dish and nothing else in that one.

Tetzlaff said:

Wir SIND nicht amüsiert! >:-(

Nitpicky eh? It's only *one* error for crying out loud and the "responsible" doesn't know much German :-P

dsm said:

Nitpicky eh? It's only *one* error for crying out loud and the "responsible" doesn't know much German :-P

...then he shouldn't use a german "quote" :-)

all your base are belong to us - eh!?

Well you're right, I was wrong. After seeing the ATi testimonial video it shows about an extra half second of the object spinning and yep, it's a radar dish with a large receiver, but it still has some weird type of handles on the back. And why it is inside (that is most definitely NOT lightning) I have no idea.

Kain067 said:

Well you're right, I was wrong. After seeing the ATi testimonial video it shows about an extra half second of the object spinning and yep, it's a radar dish with a large receiver, but it still has some weird type of handles on the back. And why it is inside (that is most definitely NOT lightning) I have no idea.

It is NOT inside. Have a look at the left. There is rock.

dsm said:

I recently had a row with a guy because I dared to call him a dumbass, which I did because he didn't manage to carry out the overly simple task of posting something in the right forum (he posted something about a remix of an old Doom tune in THIS forum), therefore I thought he was stupid enough to deserve a little "punishment" and I then called him dumbass. Then he started bitching, implying that "I was the only one that rude", completely ignoring that several other Moderators, Super Mods, Admins and Members call people worse things than "Dumbass" on these forums.

That would be me, and no I was not bitching bout you being the only one rude...now now DSM, sometimes anger dulls even the most clearest visions... anyhow
As far as floating is concerned, doom3 should have floating strippers who stipped if you give them some cash, kind of like duke nukem 3d, to ease the tension. Please don't flame me for this...(dsm)

the only items i like to see floating around are the "magical/mystical" powerups.
rotating weapons = arcade style. this only suits for console-splitscreen-weird-colored-shooter BS.
fortunately there was a setting to "turn off" floating in quake3 - sprites rule!

uniQ said:

the only items i like to see floating around are the "magical/mystical" powerups.
rotating weapons = arcade style.

I agree, I don't mind seeing mystical objects floating in the air, in fact, I think that is kind of a must since Doom 3 is supposed to capture as many things from the original as possible.

i hope the mistycal power ups make the doom guy float a seconds in the air like when the zombie got posessed.. that would be sw33t!

Yes, I mentioned the rock in an earlier post (some on the ground too). It is a cave in in a ruined space station underground. If that is Doom 3 outside lighting, then it sucks. If it is inside, then it is good. It is inside. Well I sure as hell hope it is.

Kain067 said:

Yes, I mentioned the rock in an earlier post (some on the ground too). It is a cave in in a ruined space station underground. If that is Doom 3 outside lighting, then it sucks. If it is inside, then it is good. It is inside. Well I sure as hell hope it is.

You can't see nearly enough to form an opinion on it mate.

Uh, since id is going for nearly all-out realism with Doom3, there's like a .000001% chance we'll see floating weapons, or floating weapons that rotate, or rotating weapons that float, or rotating weapons. Stop worrying about it :P

Tetzlaff said:

Wir SIND nicht amüsiert! >:-(

Boo. Well at least I learned something today. :)

ravage said:

Boo. Well at least I learned something today. :)

Eggzacklee.....Don't do drugs you find on the floor...Unless you dust them off first, then its okay.

DOOM Anomaly said:

Eggzacklee[/b].....Don't do drugs you find on the floor...Unless you dust them off first, then its okay.

You're raping the English language j00 barbarian!!!!
;-)

DOOM Anomaly said:

Eggzacklee.....Don't do drugs you find on the floor...Unless you dust them off first, then its okay.

Eggzacklee...? /me gets scared and calls the Language Police
As for the drugs thing, that may or may not explain your, uh, "special" version of English.