Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Summer Deep

Problem with downloads

I've tried to download a number of wads from both the Downloads (Beta) pages and the Idgames Database (Legacy) section over the past couple of days, and on each occasion get the message that the wad 'cannot be downloaded securely'. This happens in the Google Chrome browser, where the 'doomworld.com/files/' title page is also marked as 'not secure' (with an exclamation mark within a triangle). Downloads from other sites appear to work fine. It also seems that it may be a browser-specific issue, as wads can be downloaded in Firefox without issues.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions as to a possible cause?

This is really odd, it's all working well on my end.. I know that's not much help, maybe try a different browser?

I've come across this too in Chrome. The normal link for me (Germany) says it's insecure (but the zip file has downloaded), whilst the Germany (TLS) link works as expected, so try one of the TLS or HTTPS variants to avoid the issue, maybe?

Same for me downloading from various different mirrors.

Chrome is getting clunky lately.

I have this problem and I'm sure it's just Google Chrome being idiotic. Even after I remove all cookies and stuff it's still showing up.

Thanks for the replies! Not great news that this issue is quite widespread, apparently, but it's kind of a relief to know I'm not the only one affected. As one or two posters have pointed out, the obvious solution is to use Firefox for this purpose. Interestingly though, about an hour ago I tried downloading some wads via Google Chrome on an MX Linux system as opposed to Windows (using a different PC), and it completed without any problem. 

I've overheard something about Chrome from now on blocking any downloads from a non-encrypted (http) site when linked to from encrypted (https) site.

That's in addition to the general screaming about all http stuff since few years.

As doomworld - including the /idgames listing - is https, this thing will kick in. TLS download links are encrypted so that's probably while they're still working.

Google once again is like "We decide what the internet should does and everyone must adapt because we said so".

Use Firefox. And support Mozilla to keep working on Firefox, because they're recently getting tight on financials :(

look into your browser security settings and disable the OCSP protocol check if necessary, or check to see if there are SSL/TSL limitations enabled eventually.

Do not disable OCSP, no. It won't help here and it will endanger you on the internet in general.

Might be Doomworld itself too. I've had several issues with the site no matter what browser/computer. Wait a while and try again if no other choice works.

I'm posting here to say I also get this error. Why though? When I downloaded earlier this year it didn't tell me the downloads from this site were blocked. So weird and unwanted.

On 10/8/2020 at 9:21 PM, orangefire222 said:

On a similar note, anyone having trouble with the Texas link (ftp.mancubus.net) on /idgames? Did it go down or something?

It was retired late last year. Well, in September already, but I gave Manc a few months to sort it out, to no avail.

Edited by Xymph

Yes I haven't been able to download anything these past few days and I use chrome. Luckily my friends at Microsoft saw fit to install this neat little browser called Microsoft Edge on my PC and I'm here to tell you that I was able to download all sorts of stuff from that, including doomworld files. So I'm thinking it's an issue with chrome.

Edit: I tried to download Mayan Mishap on Edge and it instead gave me a file called IoComplex. So I went onto the legacy idgames page for it and got the right file that time so maybe there's an issue with the doomworld database?

1 hour ago, Foodles said:

Edit: I tried to download Mayan Mishap on Edge and it instead gave me a file called IoComplex. So I went onto the legacy idgames page for it and got the right file that time so maybe there's an issue with the doomworld database?

Don't you think, when reporting possible link problems, that it would, maybe, be handy to include source and destination of the links this pertains to? ;-)

2 hours ago, Foodles said:

Yes I haven't been able to download anything these past few days and I use chrome. Luckily my friends at Microsoft saw fit to install this neat little browser called Microsoft Edge on my PC and I'm here to tell you that I was able to download all sorts of stuff from that, including doomworld files. So I'm thinking it's an issue with chrome.

That would be funny as both Chrome and Edge use the same Chromium backend these days.

Personally i just use the legacy page. I don't bother with the Beta because its, well.. beta.