Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
URROVA

Doom -1 | Negative One: Beyond the Experiment [Development Thread]

In Map 07 When I kill the Arachnotrons, the bridge with tag 667 no longer raises.

I checked with idclip and the 2 hidden Arachnotrons are also dead so no idea why it does not trigger this bridge.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea of Archviles resurrecting Arachnotrons and Mancubi, but the placement of such monsters (and the effect they have on the map) should be a bit more obvious.

I deleted all MAPINFOs and the map works again!

But some remarks:

-You can grab the blue key without killing all the Mancubi

-You can exit the level after killing the Mancubi before they are resurrected again, by riding one of the moving platforms and running into the exit

This way you can skip the entire yellow key section with the Cyberdemon

by default MAP07 mapinfo definition has the property map07special. Its sinple like adding it to the MAP07 mapinfo def

17 minutes ago, URROVA said:

by default MAP07 mapinfo definition has the property map07special. Its sinple like adding it to the MAP07 mapinfo def

OK. Yes, it is an easy fix. Just add map07special to ZMAPINFO and it works. Every day I learn something new :-D

Release v5.93/5.94:

• Added map07special to MAPINFO/ZMAPINFO MAP07 definition

Link: https://mega.nz/file/KPBDTSYJ#4T9Kj_OwKpaQ9MUQ5pliKOLumJCU8AqF8pl-yBB1C4I

Link with CBM's MAP07 version: https://mega.nz/file/WPYD0abR#RLHrTJLMZorYwpWFrFiD7hjkUMmJiWjpesPT7dEoLCg

@PinkFlamingo I dont knowed about map07special too, i only viewed the mapinfo definitions on gzdoom.pk3 xD

Playing through CMB's version. There is this slight error with the textures here.

It's the same deal with @URROVA's version too. Though I think the one with the stairs makes the map just a bit too easy to I prefer his version more.image.png.abbb6f9ea6fd2f824bd5a3b3ce4e0e76.png 

11 hours ago, Captain Toenail said:

Edit the textures lump so this patch is 128x128. Just make some empty space around it.

I tried doing that as well. Resized this texture "UACHOLO.bmp" to 128x128, but still I was not able to fix that misalignment bug. Can someone else try fixing it?

10 hours ago, URROVA said:

Also, which version to use?

10 minutes ago, Rosh Fragger said:

I tried doing that as well. Resized this texture "UACHOLO.bmp" to 128x128, but still I was not able to fix that misalignment bug. Can someone else try fixing it?

Also, which version to use?

Take the original for now. Urrova has fixed tag 667 so it is working again. We should make some modifications to the design of map 07 in the future to make it less puzzling.

Here is my idea for MAP07 improvements (using the existing layout):

There are three areas: the starting area with the exit, the blue key area, and the yellow key area (which does not need the yellow key in this version).

- The starting area remains as it is: kill the Arachnotrons to raise the bridge, grab the red key and proceed to the blue key area.

- Make sure the player cannot leave the blue key area until all Mancubi are dead and the player has grabbed the blue key. You must remove the Mancubi from the starting area for this to work and put the blue key and teleporter (or maybe better a hallway?) behind tag 666 sectors (lowering walls). Once the player has the blue key, they can proceed to the yellow key area and they no longer need to come back to this area.

- The yellow key area doesn't need a yellow key or anything else. Only a single switch. Make sure the switch is in front of a window overlooking the starting area so the player can see what pressing the switch does. The switch releases resurrected Arachnotrons to the starting area. Once you kill the Arachnotrons, a second wave of resurrected Mancubi will teleport in. Once you kill the Mancubi the central pillar lowers and you can exit.

You have to make sure that the Archviles that resurrect the Arachnos and Mancubis are dead before you exit. This can be accomplished by a crusher that crushes them before you exit.

EDIT: You can even simplify this further by having the resurrected Arachontrons and Mancubi teleport in at the same time, maybe even with the Archviles. It then doesn't matter if you kill the Arachnotrons or if they keep getting resurrected. Once you kill the Mancubi the exit will open up.

EDIT 2: I now managed to make new "resurrecting machines" for the Arachnotrons and Mancubi and they seem to work very well. I will post an updated version of MAP 07 this weekend ;-)

EDIT 3: I finished reworking the map, keeping the original layout. It seems to work perfect (100 % kills and no apparent bugs). Will now playtest a bit and tweak monster and item placement. Including difficulty settings.

Work in progress screenshot

Screenshot_Doom_20201017_124003.png.0c6df0257c4269a4bca926b371cc6cf8.png

Edited by PinkFlamingo

Version 5.94

- Fixed MAP 07 and redesigned it a bit.

It is beatable on ultra-violence. There is enough health and ammo but monster infighting is key for your survival. Now includes difficulty settings.

I may still try to improve some of the areas (e.g., blue key room and cyberdemon room). Please test it and post your comments/remarks below.

- Replaced the baron sprites with a winged baron. Do you like it?

(This Baron is the "Lord of Heresy" from realm667.com. Sprites were edited by Vader and Tormentor667)

https://easyupload.io/bm4w7n

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vj0lw0q1c3guf1d/NEGATIVEONE_v5.94.rar/file

Screenshot

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20201017_141759.png.0c019a5389c97e39fb68252f1bbfb1ba.png

Edited by PinkFlamingo

18 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Replaced the baron sprites with a winged baron. Do you like it?

Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20201017_141759.png.0c019a5389c97e39fb68252f1bbfb1ba.png

Yes, the previous baron death animation was very fucked up :v

Version 5.95

Small updates on MAP08

- Small texture changes in the starting area. Mainly swapping floor and ceiling :-).

- A tiny bit of changes in detail, such as a cleaner looking red key door and some height differences to the buildings in the final outdoor area.

- Experimenting with monster placement. The start now gives you a Hell Knight and chaingun on easy and normal, and an Arachnotron and no weapon on hard.

https://easyupload.io/thoo48

http://www.mediafire.com/file/m9kki2rnhtuavvc/NEGATIVEONE_v5.95.rar/file

Screenshot_Doom_20201018_211229.png.5220e3dbd085101dc831a04dfb65cca6.png

Edited by PinkFlamingo

Reserving MAP13. The issues with the sky in the former starting area are still present

Edit: I think I've gone a bit too overboard ;)

1615547860_Screenshot2020-10-18173151.png.8fe0d1706a238124ff5d9f4e9c0e15bf.png

Edited by EpicTyphlosion

V5.96

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17OHGad4EGTBORLgW6zfmy1TvIolwhbc4/view?usp=sharing

Map changes

- Increased the height of the sky in the original starting area of MAP13. Prevents the tall buildings from being obstructed

- Added a very, very, very unnecessary amount of attention to detail to unreachable areas of the map. The destroyed building can be seen in some areas earlier in the map

I still have much more I want to do with this map, but all this has really drained me. You have no idea how many 1 unit wide sectors I had to work with, how many times TANROCK9 kept popping up out of nowhere, and how many times Doom Builder just refused to cooperate...

regarding map 7

as long as it can now be completed then I am happy.

the stairs were not needed as I discovered it was possible to jump the gap anyway

:)

I only played 01, 02, 05, 07 and 33 fully but here are a few more bug reports and critiques from me:

- Seems like the messages for plasma gun, BFG and chainsaw replacements are a bit too long for PrBoom+.

MAP05
- If any monsters at the start are alive once the player teleports out of the start area they become unkillable. The monsters in the planes are ideally placed that this could be solved with walk-over crushers and as for the cacos there could be a teleporting line at the east portion of the start area so they (eventually) teleport to the crushers as well when they try to follow the player.
- The fight with the cyberdemons can be a bit tedious if you want to kill all of them so maybe make one of them coop-only?

MAP07
- It's possible to get stuck in the secret (sector 69) since it can't be opened from inside.
- A door (line 352) can't be opened in -complevel 9 because there's another action (line 362) in front of it without the "pass thru" flag.
- Now that there are no chaingunners behind the door I think lines 979 and 980 shouldn't lower sector 97.
- Similar complaint about line 795 - now that it doesn't open a secret it shouldn't have the tag and the "S1 open and stay" action and should probably use SW1SATYR instead of SW2SATYR.
- It can be undesirable to be forced to pick up the green armor (thing 108) when you still have decent % (but under 100) of the blue armor from the megasphere. For this reason it might be good to move it farther away from the narrow corridor.

MAP11
- Similar issue as MAP01 had - the secret action on sector 323 disappears after it's activated by line 2514.

MAP27
- Same as above. The secret action on sector 221 disappears once it's fully lowered by activating one of these lines: 247, 252-255, 316.

MAP33
- Sector 35 has several monsters stuck into each other and unable to move.
- Considering the yellow key is required for progression it could be moved out of the secret area or the area could be marked better so it's easier to find.
- While we're at that secret... that's definitely an excessive number of megaspheres right there.
- I suppose the texture alignment on lines 36, 185 and 189 could be better.

4 hours ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

I only played 01, 02, 05, 07 and 33 fully but here are a few more bug reports and critiques from me:

Thanks for the report! We will look into this.

For map 05 I have another idea inspired by your comment about the cacodemons: Why not have the enemies that you don't kill at the start, teleport into a later area? Perhaps easier than a crusher because there is already a door opening automatically inside your ship. We could add similar doors to the other ships (cockpit side) that allows enemies to teleport away after you've left. This also adds a new layer of strategy to the map. You can choose not to kill the enemies at the start, and deal with them later when you have more/better weapons(?)

Thank you Keyboard_Doomer for the detailed feedback! 

3 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

For map 05, We could add similar doors to the other ships (cockpit side) that allows enemies to teleport away after you've left. This also adds a new layer of strategy to the map. You can choose not to kill the enemies at the start, and deal with them later when you have more/better weapons(?)

Yes, this could be a great approach! 

V5.97

https://drive.google.com/file/d/170p2ED_yz2_VVLR9MmlAU5flu2wIB8Uj/view?usp=sharing

General changes

- Shortened the pickup text for three weapons (They're still too long for PrBoom, but it's a start)

Map changes

MAP05

- Added a temporary solution to the monster problem by making the ceiling of each plane crush the monsters after walking past the helipad

- Changed one of the cyberdemons to multiplayer only

MAP07

- Made the invulnerability secret door stay open when activated

- Added pass through flags to two linedefs interfering with a door

- Moved the former chaingunner ambush up and added fences in front of the sky there

- Removed a redundant secret tag and fixed the linedef's texture

- Rearranged the green armor and armor bonuses

MAP11

- Removed a redundant secret tag

- Fixed the fence textures in the cacodemon box

- Added textures to the monster box in the same area (it's possible to see it before opening if you go too fast)

MAP27

- Removed a redundant secret tag

MAP33

- Moved the yellow key out of the secret area

- Decreased the amount of megaspheres in said secret to five

- Rearranged the enemies in front of the final door, now they shouldn't get stuck

- Aligned and changed some textures

- Made most of the doors and windows thinner

Long, but to the point. What's next, bugs or polishing up the maps?

I am going to implement the teleporting monsters to map 05. It seems to be working well in an initial test (see screenshot).

Will do some other work on this map as well so I am reserving Map 05 for a while.

Chaingunners teleporting in...

Screenshot_Doom_20201021_083024.png.a5acb5551110da9bec82eb218a83b0e0.png

Hey great job on fixing those bugs man!! 

10 hours ago, EpicTyphlosion said:

What's next, bugs or polishing up the maps?

Simultaneously both; Making the maps as good as possible.

Still working on Map 05. The monsters at the start will now teleport to later areas if not killed. The Revenants piloting the ship in part 3 will now also be killed when their ship crashes (a crusher activates after the crash) so you can get 100% kills. I am also updating part 3 with monsters and some extra details.

Here is a progress screenshot:

Screenshot_Doom_20201021_194359.png.2ed007a6eee8199ef2411ace483bb85d.png

You know what would be cool?

If this went on forever. If people added things whenever they felt like. Negative infinity. :D

1 minute ago, Gustavo6046 said:

You know what would be cool?

If this went on forever. If people added things whenever they felt like. Negative infinity. :D

That's what I was thinking as well! We could totally do that, would just depend on how much steam it has

Version 5.98!

Lots of MAP05 updates

- Unkilled monsters in part 1 will teleport to part 2 and 3 after player steps into the teleporter

- A vodoo doll contraption that generates an 'engine sound' in the drop ship has been repaired

- Some linedefs in hallways now block monsters to prevent them from 'jumping up and down weirdly'

- Part 3 has been given a makeover:

- Teleporter is now in a separate room

- The hangar now has some crates to protect the player from Revenant attacks

- The armory has been restyled and now also contains a secret

- I added two turrets outside and made them lower so easier to see and easier to hit with weapons

- The interiors have been made to resemble more like those of part 2

- Breakable windows in part 3 are breakable again

- Overall, lighting has been reduced to create a more spooky atmosphere :-)

- A surprise Archvile has been added

I have not balanced ammo and monsters yet. I still have some small ideas for this map but I need a short break and wanted to get this update out there...

The file:

https://easyupload.io/uv4ai7

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ka1rsjd83t0c92v/NEGATIVEONE_v5.98.rar/file

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20201023_163912.png.f075563d0fa8d3fab3f922eda70a5e8e.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201023_160254.png.510a33f1cf0d541f801affb94af09a8f.png

Screenshot_Doom_20201023_160233.png.184728c3697876ba2c35993204130c0d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201023_160215.png.91ebfda5ba3b2f8e126136427f82f592.png

Is there a new deadline to release the last super final definitely finished version of the wad? I am worried about this wad never getting a proper release and instead stagnating until it's eventually abandoned.