Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
URROVA

Doom -1 | Negative One: Beyond the Experiment [Development Thread]

I think it would be nice to release updates every so often with the new fixes, until we choose one that is the super final version.

I have also been thinking about ways to avoid this project getting abandoned.

How about this idea:

Instead of trying to get all 35 maps done at once, we release Doom-1 in episodes. Episode 1 would be maps 1-11, Episode 2 would add maps 12-20 (and include the previous 11 maps), and Episode 3 would be all the levels. This has the advantage that we can focus on a fewer amount of maps and get them out in an "official release" quicker. Once episode 1 is released, it gives everyone the opportunity to play it and give us feedback on monster placement, fun factor and difficulty. Also, reaching a goal will maybe give us a moral boost to continue working on getting the next episode out. I think episode 1 could be done before the Christmas holidays.

In practice, we can keep doing what we are doing in this thread: update the complete wad regularly. If you like to work on one of the later maps, then please do so. Just because we focus on the first 11 maps doesn't mean you cannot work on the later maps. Once we reach an agreement that the first 11 maps are done, we can release them in a separate release thread and continue working on the full wad in this thread.

I have noticed that intermission text is not playing after map 06 in GZDoom. But it is playing in PrBoom+. I suppose this also needs to be defined in ZMAPINFO? Anyone know how to do this?

yeh, you have to define the cluster of the map on mapinfo/zmapinfo.

By default MAP01-MAP06 haves cluster 5,

MAP07-MAP11 haves cluster 6,

MAP12-MAP20 haves cluster 7,

MAP21-MAP30 haves cluster 8,

MAP31 haves cluster 9 and

MAP32 haves cluster 10

9 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I have noticed that intermission text is not playing after map 06 in GZDoom. But it is playing in PrBoom+. I suppose this also needs to be defined in ZMAPINFO? Anyone know how to do this?

Ugh, just when I thought I had defined everything I could!

lol just keep updating it with random shit till it hits v6.66 then release it.

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

Version 6.00

https://easyupload.io/aw4cww

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ywyoaq90awvwq77/NEGATIVEONE_v6.00.rar/file

Map 08 update

- Red key area updated (see screenshots)

- New sky added

- Changes to enemy/ammo placement (mostly in the red key area)

I tested it on ultraviolence and it is pretty hard now but not impossible. Some tips for the beginning: ignore all monsters and run either left, past the chaingunners to grab the uzi (monsters will infight) or... run right, up the stairs, grab the shotgun, maybe grab the super shotgun to your right... the key to survival is to let the monsters infight. On easier difficulties there are less monsters and the uzi is placed directly in front of you so you can approach the map in a more traditional manner.

Screenshots

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20201026_210313.png.268380252ab074d917f1ed1ead6f85e8.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201026_210321.png.5dde48f0ef6e7f94fb709037ca4139ec.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201026_210333.png.7ee1c55b4a01a51b3aef76a83b74614f.png

Edited by PinkFlamingo

Version 6.02

Map 08 updated

- The areas behind the red key door have been detailed/cleaned up a bit.

- The sewer tunnel is now a secret, just as the plasma gun (which replaces the berserk).

- In the outdoor area, the Archvile will now teleport in after pressing the blue key switch.

- Areas around the bridge have been detailed/cleaned up as well.

- Some changes to monster and item placement. I tested this numerous times on ultra-violence. I think everything is well-balanced until you reach the final area (which is still very easy). That part of the map I will review another day.

https://easyupload.io/v5qkkd

http://www.mediafire.com/file/06g5kj2kka7rmhs/NEGATIVEONE_v6.02.rar/file

Screenshots

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20201029_190924.png.32ecca69194229764c9a4fdf3a2902ad.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201029_190932.png.ce68c787af23f5b937a0c2151cce270f.png

Screenshot_Doom_20201029_191020.png.e89075af9e1af335b258f73c09fd118e.pngScreenshot_Doom_20201029_191104.png.11708839e118b309b6042bfd9eb8cdf4.png

Edited by PinkFlamingo

Just a quick update.

I am currently play-testing the first couple of maps on UV paying close attention to the amount of ammo. I am trying to make it so that at the end of each map you have as little ammo as possible. This way, in a continuous play-through, you won't get flooded with ammo in later maps. I am going through Map 01 to 04 now and will post my changes in a few days from now.

Version 6.03 !

After lots of play-testing I think MAP 01, 02, 03 and 04 are now well balanced and finished. Yeah!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/898883rnafafvob/NEGATIVEONE_v6.03.rar/file

https://easyupload.io/a9aoqn

Here is a complete list of changes:

Spoiler

GENERAL
- Removed the "whoop" sound that plays when you fall because it is a rather silly sound and it began bothering me more and more
- In Map01 to 04 medikits have been added near exits so that on continuous play, you do not start the next map at very low health

- In Map01 to 04 ammo and health have been carefully re-balanced. Overall, you will encounter less rockets, less plasma cells and more stimpacks instead of medikits.

MAP01
- Removed version number from the starting area because it has little meaning at this point and it was kinda ugly
- In the starting area, I put shells and a pool of blood in front of the door that holds the shotgun (as a visual clue that you should check that door first)
- Changed the texture of a "negative one" floor graffiti in the blue key room to be more subtle
- In the final room, I made the secret area have only rockets and a soul sphere

MAP02
- Removed sector tags 32 and 33 from the pentagram in red key room because they seemed to have no purpose. Added candles, blood and gore to the pentagram
- Replaced the soul sphere near the Archvile trap with a backpack and tagged adjacent sector as a secret. You do not need so much health here (medkits are just around the corner)
- Made the blue armor secret more secret by changing the switch behind the crate (which was really obvious) into a regular crate texture of different color

- Fixed a misaligned metal texture in the starting area

MAP03
- Moved monster boxes up north as you could hear the Archviles behind the walls
- Re-added the blocking linedef between the crate room and red key outdoor area
- Some linedefs in the yellow key outdoor area were blocking monsters for no reason

- Added a new secret in the nukage room near the exit. An invisibility sphere and some medikits

MAP04

- Finished detailing the dormitory room and the outdoor scenery outside and added a new secret to this room (a backpack)

- Tweaked enemy placement (Barons make a return in the blue key area and on easier skills, you will encounter less enemies in the central Cyberdemon hub)

Next stop... Map 05

Edited by PinkFlamingo

Awesome! I have been very busy with "real life" work lately so couldn't update anything but I have been working on a few things, including:

- finding new (better?) music for some of the maps

- compiling a comprehensive list of credits

I am thinking of adding map credits under the map titles like this:

Screenshot_Doom_20201107_213820.png.ca316bde99c5e37a0c1f2133111f380c.png

(just an example, not all contributors for map 02 are listed yet)

LOL, that's a lot of names and Map01 has like 20+ contributors. I might insert a blank graphic to replace the "finished" because otherwise it might overlap with other text.

28 minutes ago, ampujaKid(); said:

im gonna try to make a little section of my own if possible... whats the best engine for making maps and such?

I use Ultimate Doom Builder for making maps, and PrBoom for testing the maps on this wad (they are boom/mbf compatible)

v6.05

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-vPQAWbJXP-5xgKY7aco78QuDNYu0a4m/view?usp=sharing

MAP13

• Fixed a misaligned teleport pad
  • Added a secret inside the dark tunnel with the truck

MAP14

• Replaced the only few stealth monsters with normal monsters
  • Fixed a texture inconsistency error

MAP15

• Added two teleports in the starting room which open later on. Allows player to teleport back to far-away sections more conveniently
  • Also added a door in the starting room that can be opened from the other side (water canyon area) connecting the two areas together
  • Added a small yellow keycard optional door in the big canyon, allowing early access to plasma gun
  • Fixed two teleports having damaging floor properties

Reserving Map 05

I'll try to finish this map. I'll update in a few days

I am planning to do this:

- Tweak monster/ammo placement and difficulty

- Add some additional detail to a few areas

- Make the cacodemon trap in part 3 more like a trap (Right now you can easily run away and not deal with them at all. Also, during playtesting I noticed I was always missing one of these cacos, making "100% kills" frustrating.)

- Redesign the final arena (part 4) into something more interesting. Several people have complained about the Cyberdemon fight being boring and I agree. I am thinking of removing them, perhaps placing some turrets instead and making the rectangular rooms inside the building cross-shaped to prevent the player from circle strafing.

Edited by PinkFlamingo

Just now, SilverMiner said:

Maybe somebody would manage to fix the Map16 to Map17 intermission bug? Or nobody here ever playtests the wad?

I ran MAP16 in ZDaemon and didn't spot any intermission bugs. MAP17 began normally after exiting MAP16.. So I'm not sure what the bug actually is and how to recreate it.

4 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

Try it in Zdoom

It's a mistake in the ZMAPINFO lump.

Just replace this:

map "MAP16" "Devil's Darkness"
{
    titlepatch = "CWILV15"
    next = "SKY2"
    levelnum = 16
    music = D_DEAD2
    cluster = 7
}

with this:

map "MAP16" "Devil's Darkness"
{
    titlepatch = "CWILV15"
    next = "MAP17"

sky1 = "SKY2"
    levelnum = 16
    music = D_DEAD2
    cluster = 7
}

I will include this in my next update if it hasn't been done before.