Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
URROVA

Doom -1 | Negative One: Beyond the Experiment [Development Thread]

On 4/16/2021 at 5:55 PM, CBM said:

oh man bugfixing is still in progress :-) ?

Yes. Because Doom -1 polishing, is Eternal.

Sorry guys, for my lack of updates. I have been missing the motivation a bit.

I'm going to reserve MAP 22 now, and try to get it polished by the end of this week.

We should release this soon. It's already been months since the Cacowards, and the maps are pretty much done.

1 hour ago, Roebloz said:

We should release this soon. It's already been months since the Cacowards, and the maps are pretty much done.

ok. i will see if i can polish any map today...

Version 6.33:

Map09: Some detailing, replaced the switch that lowers the red key platform with a key that opens a door to a teleporter to another room with a window looking to the red key, this room has the switch to lower the red key platform. Tested.

Map10: Put the tag 50 to a sector without it, this made this sector have the wrong sky.

https://mega.nz/file/zfQTCawT#vhcJ7IpAySJA5POdGgKYDkERfRJEAiVqauQK-77QUQo

This thread seems alive again, which is a good thing. If we work together now we can finish this.

After Urrova's detailing of MAP 09 I believe that all the regular maps have sufficient detail and no longer need work. Thanks a lot Urrova!

The only thing that is left to do is improve the gameplay and enemy/item placement of a few maps.

These are the following:

Map 09, 15, 18, 22 and 27

I am currently working on map 09. If you want to help, I suggest you play-test these maps and adjust them according to your best judgement. Try to make them similar in style to the other maps.

When all those maps have been revised, we must add some extra credits and write a readme file and then we can release this.

On 4/29/2021 at 4:20 PM, EpicTyphlosion said:

Reserving map13 again for some more polish

I don't think map 13 needs any further polish. What exactly did you want to change?

31 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

The only thing that is left to do is improve the gameplay and enemy/item placement of a few maps.

These are the following:

Map 09, 15, 18, 22 and 27

Some of the maps like, Map15 and especially Map18, intentionally have a lot more monsters roaming around to give sort of an open-world / non-linear vibe. If you feel like removing some of the enemies or replacing harder ones with easier ones, then I'd suggest doing so only through ticking/unticking the Thing's flags/tags instead of deleting the Things. That way, multiplayer survival/coop sessions can still be fun and engaging with loads of monsters roaming around the maps. Please try to keep multiplayer only flags ticked for enemies that you feel like removing from singleplayer sessions.

42 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

This thread seems alive again, which is a good thing. If we work together now we can finish this.

Yes, absolutely! I will see if I can work on some of the maps as well. Just can't wait to see this wad completed in all of its glory and be released!!

1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I don't think map 13 needs any further polish. What exactly did you want to change?

Mostly texturing and adding some contrast to certain parts of the map.

For example, near the end of the map, there's two rooms that are just rectangles with stuff in them. No offense.

30 minutes ago, EpicTyphlosion said:

Mostly texturing and adding some contrast to certain parts of the map.

For example, near the end of the map, there's two rooms that are just rectangles with stuff in them. No offense.

Ah yes, LOL, I remember that. At the time, I felt as if I was "destroying" other people's work so I left those rooms alone.

Just for the record I have reserved map 09. I am almost finished with it but I will upload it tomorrow after I played through it a couple of time.

Version 6.34:

Map 09 has its combat improved, ammo checked and difficulty settings are implemented. I did this one rather quickly but I believe it can be considered 'finished'. I tested it on every difficulty.

The floor lamps in the Cyber demon pit are disabled on "easy" so you can more easily circle strafe and shoot rockets.

Some small details have been added as well, mostly to improve gameplay or for consistency, for example:

- a window with an invisible wall has been added to the red-key switch room to avoid waking up or killing the enemies in the pit

- some extra crates have been added to some of the larger rooms to create cover for Revenant missiles

- all outdoor environments have the same brightness now, except the red key pit, which is rather deep so it can be a bit darker

Download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/gew52821tdkeipt/NEGATIVEONE_v6.34.rar/file

Just wanted to mention that I am from Denmark and I was wondering if we had any other Danes on the Doom-1 team? :-)

Just a heads up: I am working again on map 22. Might be able to finish it this weekend.

Also, how are we going to call this project?

Negative One: Complete?

Negative One: Full Version?

Negative One: Beyond the Experiment?

I kinda prefer the second or third option.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also: If anyone wishes to play-test or offer a short review for any of these maps, feel free to do so (intended source port is PrBoom+ but also works nicely in GzDoom. This megawad uses a few custom DeHacked monsters and weapons so it is probably not compatible with gameplay mods). Any feedback is much appreciated at this point as we are fairly close to release and calling this 'finished'. In the current version (6.34) all the maps can be considered final except for maps 15, 18, 22, 27 and the secret maps 32 and 33.

Edited by PinkFlamingo

I had several attempts to playtest Map15 but I've never actually finished it.

The most important issue with this map is that it almost lacks medkits but has plenty of rocket ammo. The item balance just screams: heal yourself with rockets, dude

22 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Just a heads up: I am working again on map 22. Might be able to finish it this weekend.

I kinda prefer the second or third option.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also: If anyone wishes to play-test or offer a short review for any of these maps, feel free to do so (intended source port is PrBoom+ but also works nicely in GzDoom. This megawad uses a few custom DeHacked monsters and weapons so it is probably not compatible with gameplay mods). Any feedback is much appreciated at this point as we are fairly close to release and calling this 'finished'. In the current version (6.34) all the maps can be considered final except for maps 15, 18, 22, 27 and the secret maps 32 and 33.

my vote is on

Negative One: Beyond the Experiment

9 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

I had several attempts to playtest Map15 but I've never actually finished it.

The most important issue with this map is that it almost lacks medkits but has plenty of rocket ammo. The item balance just screams: heal yourself with rockets, dude

Thanks! So far, I actually never played map 15. :-)

I realize I may have expressed myself badly in the post above. I actually wanted to ask for feedback on the maps that are considered 'final' so maps 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31, 34, or 35.

13 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I'd probably go with "Negative One: Uncut"

It's all about additions made after the initial cutoff, so it fits with the definition of the word

Version 6.35 (Map 22 updated)

Map 22 has been polished:

- Monster/Item placement revised

- Difficulty settings implemented (and overall difficulty is increased)

- Many unused tags removed

- A small amount of detail has been added to areas that felt bare and unfinished

In this map, there is some advertisement for another project. I wasn't sure what to do with this. For now, I left it in as it was part of a secret but it feels very much out of place.

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/83t5k7a2k3g2yt2/NEGATIVEONE_v6.35.rar/file

Next... I will reserve MAP 15 (oh boy!). I am not planning to change it much. I just want to be sure it can be finished with 100% kills.

On 5/23/2021 at 12:56 AM, EpicTyphlosion said:

I'd probably go with "Negative One: Uncut"

It's all about additions made after the initial cutoff, so it fits with the definition of the word

Hmm, "uncut" sounds like last years' version had content cut out of it, which isn't really the case.

How about "expanded edition" or simply "expanded"?

i vote Negative One: Beyond the Experiment

also i will see if i can do something to this wad today :)