Find results that contain...
Find results in...
URROVA

Doom -1 | Negative One: Beyond the Experiment [Development Thread]

small update v6.65.18

https://mega.nz/file/6W4AzRIL#qEZp53selKYuwkq0Hb7lb7dF8JtJ_ouFhCCJ7JIv2zg

Changes:

MAP15: on the secret level tunnel: changed lsdmap with dankmap

added an UMAPINFO. works with PrBoom+ and seems like GZDoom is smart enough to load ZMAPINFO instead UMAPINFO.

so, uhhh im also having trouble with finding time for working on this so... Will we release this "as is"? or someone wants to do anything else to the wad?

are there any bugs or errors left after all this time?

10 hours ago, URROVA said:

Will we release this "as is"? or someone wants to do anything else to the wad?

How about we set ourselves a deadline? And we release the WAD on the deadline? For example: Monday 11th of April?

4 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

How about we set ourselves a deadline? And we release the WAD on the deadline? For example: Monday 11th of April?

I second that

6 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Ok, good plan.

I have a quick question (that I guess could've been done via PM I guess but whatever). The wheat field textures from MAP...19, I wanna say it was - were they made specifically for Doom -1? If so, may I use them in a separate map I'm making (w/ credit, of course)? If they weren't, what was the source? (And if they were but you say no... well, I'll figure something out, but weirdly this was like the only result for "wheat texture" I could find related to Doom.)

On 4/1/2022 at 8:53 PM, Shadow Hog said:

I have a quick question (that I guess could've been done via PM I guess but whatever). The wheat field textures from MAP...19, I wanna say it was - were they made specifically for Doom -1? If so, may I use them in a separate map I'm making (w/ credit, of course)? If they weren't, what was the source? (And if they were but you say no... well, I'll figure something out, but weirdly this was like the only result for "wheat texture" I could find related to Doom.)

I don't know who made this texture. Maybe @Captain Toenail, @Rosh Fragger or @NiGHTMARE know?

I am reserving maps 27 to 30 now. Trying to get all edits done before the 11th.

It wasn't me, so I think it was probably Captain Toenail.

As for other Doom mods with wheat (or corn) textures, I've definitely seen some before. Hellcore 2.0 and the Batman TC are two possibilities.

On 4/1/2022 at 7:53 PM, Shadow Hog said:

were they made specifically for Doom -1? If so, may I use them in a separate map I'm making (w/ credit, of course)?

I don't have the original source image anymore but it was just some texture from an online search that I resized and edited. Use them if you want you don't need to credit me for them.

Version 6.65.19

NEGATIVEONE_v6.65.19.rar

Maps 21/21ZD, 27, 28, 29 and 30/30ZD are now also deathmatch and co-op friendly.

For deathmatch I added some extra start points and weapons. For co-op I didn't change much this time, as these maps already had tons of enemies.

I've added a death exit to map 29, as suggested previously by @URROVA: A voodoo doll gets killed when you blow up the Icon of Sin. I tested it a few times (at 200% health and armor) and it seems to work reliably.

I found a few bugs in Map 27, but the other maps were pretty much fine. I tested all of them. They should still work as before.

Here is a full list of changes:

Spoiler

All maps: added extra start points and weapons for deathmatch

MAP21 and MAP21ZD
- dm: added a switch to sector 143 to allow backtracking in deathmatch

MAP27
- bug fix: slightly made the crate (Sector 352) larger to make the chaingunner (Thing 271) move and target the player more easily
- bug fix: changed hanging corpse above yellow crate (Sector 386) because previous one was blocking players
- bug fix: lowered eye switch (Sector 284) so it can also be shot with mouselook disabled (default Doom way)
- bug fix: slightly changed how monsters teleport into the blue key room (to make it more challenging)
- bug fix: fixed door sector 409 (wouldn't open under strict settings)
- dm: added S1 door open stay to back of door sector 118

MAP28
- coop: 2 extra Cyberdemons, 4 boxes of rockets + 4 large cell packs

MAP29:
- added a death exit (voodoo doll explodes when you kill the icon of sin)

MAP30 and MAP30ZD:
- dm: deathmatch is now limited to the central arena only

I am going to reserve maps 31 to 35 now to check and make sure they are deathmatch/co-op compatible as well. I may also make some final edits to maps 32 and 33.

This wad will be finished by next Monday! :-)

33 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Version 6.65.19

NEGATIVEONE_v6.65.19.rar

Maps 21/21ZD, 27, 28, 29 and 30/30ZD are now also deathmatch and co-op friendly.

For deathmatch I added some extra start points and weapons. For co-op I didn't change much this time, as these maps already had tons of enemies.

I've added a death exit to map 29, as suggested previously by @URROVA: A voodoo doll gets killed when you blow up the Icon of Sin. I tested it a few times (at 200% health and armor) and it seems to work reliably.

I found a few bugs in Map 27, but the other maps were pretty much fine. I tested all of them. They should still work as before.

Here is a full list of changes:

Reveal hidden contents

All maps: added extra start points and weapons for deathmatch

MAP21 and MAP21ZD
- dm: added a switch to sector 143 to allow backtracking in deathmatch

MAP27
- bug fix: slightly made the crate (Sector 352) larger to make the chaingunner (Thing 271) move and target the player more easily
- bug fix: changed hanging corpse above yellow crate (Sector 386) because previous one was blocking players
- bug fix: lowered eye switch (Sector 284) so it can also be shot with mouselook disabled (default Doom way)
- bug fix: slightly changed how monsters teleport into the blue key room (to make it more challenging)
- bug fix: fixed door sector 409 (wouldn't open under strict settings)
- dm: added S1 door open stay to back of door sector 118

MAP28
- coop: 2 extra Cyberdemons, 4 boxes of rockets + 4 large cell packs

MAP29:
- added a death exit (voodoo doll explodes when you kill the icon of sin)

MAP30 and MAP30ZD:
- dm: deathmatch is now limited to the central arena only

I am going to reserve maps 31 to 35 now to check and make sure they are deathmatch/co-op compatible as well. I may also make some final edits to maps 32 and 33.

This wad will be finished by next Monday! :-)

MAP31 is definitely DM-compatible, (It has its own DM section like the SIGIL maps) not sure about Co-Op spawns.

MAP35 as far as I'm aware doesn't have DM or Co-Op spawn things, but they are like a 5 second fix. (It would be one heck of a DM map since its essentially just a square with weapons)

This is it! My last edit! I can't believe it :-)

Version 6.65.20

Download:

NEGATIVEONE_v6.65.20.rar

Changes:

- Maps 31 to 35 are now compatible for deathmatch and co-op multiplayer. I've added a few extra multiplayer-only items and weapons here and there.
- I've added @Captain Toenail, @URROVA and myself to the credits of Map 33.
- I've removed @KILLA DIO from the credits of Map 30 because (according to KILLA DIO) they did not actually make anything in the current version of this map.
- I've made several other edits to the maps, here are all the details:

Spoiler

MAP31
- dm: in the deathmatch exclusive area, there was a rocket launcher and some rocket boxes that were placed on a diagonal line. This looked strange in comparison with all the other items that are on a grid pattern. So I've moved them in a grid pattern.

MAP32
- I've added a 'door' that requires all six keys in front of the secret exit (because I thought the exit was way too easy to reach)

MAP33
- Designed the final fight
- Slightly modified the fight in the red 'digital' ruins area by making the doors take longer to open (because before, you could just run away without fighting)
- Also modified the fight with the spectres (added extra switches to keep the player in the room for a bit longer)
- Added extra items in various areas after play-testing (I kept dying or running out of ammo in certain places)

MAP34
- added difficulty settings
- improved some of the texturing/texture alignment
- improved monster invasion in outdoor sector 125 by adding extra teleport destinations
- dm: added "S1 open door stay" to back of door sector 131
- co-op: made blue door repeatable (to avoid path to the yellow key getting locked)

MAP35
- dm/co-op: added deathmatch and co-op starts

So. This is it. I'm not going to make any more edits. @URROVA, you can release it if you wish. Maybe check if the demos are still synchronized?

29 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I have a question: what does the Dark Imp replace?

Dead lost soul (corpse). Thing type 23 in the editor.

Thanks! Also, another question: have you thought about addressing the inconsistency of the Chaingunner dropping an Uzi?

As much as I like the look of that Uzi, I reckon it looks weird that it replaces the chaingun.

Edited by Rudolph

3 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Thanks! Also, another question: have you thought about addressing the inconsistency of the Chaingunner dropping an Uzi?

As much as I like the look of that Uzi, I reckon it looks weird that it replaces the chaingun.

Hmm. We are almost certainly not going to change that. While it is indeed inconsistent, both the Uzi and double Chaingunner have been part of this wad since the very beginning and without them it just wouldn't feel right. The core principle behind this wad was that anybody could add/modify anything, so inconsistencies were kinda expected. Also, this was never supposed to be a very serious megawad. Everyone was just having fun being creative and making maps. For several of us, these were our first experiences mapping. It's a 'nostalgia' thing :-)

Edited by PinkFlamingo

So, i just updated the demos, and everything seems OK. Im releasing the wad...

Thanks to everyone that participed in this project!

EDIT: There is

Edited by URROVA