Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

DOOM³ Golden Edition

On 11/10/2020 at 9:46 AM, ReaperAA said:

I think I would really like if armor absorbed more damage instead of armor capacity reduced. I would prefer if the armor absorbed something like 40-50% damage instead of like 20-25% damage in vanilla Doom 3. That would really reduce the issue of overabundance of armor (because of increased absorption, armor would be used more quickly) while also making armor more useful.

Maybe reduce the armor capacity from 125 to 100. I think 50 is too low.

For a long time it was set to 100, and I also wanted to increase how quickly the armor depletes. But I tried everything I could think of to get it to function the way I wanted it to. Clearly I really don't understand how it works. That's why it's 50 and not 100. But it does the same thing, so I guess...mission accomplished. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 11/9/2020 at 2:08 PM, Shockwave_S08 said:

Here's some experimental PK4's that bring the Golden Edition balancing to both Resurrection of Evil and The Lost Mission, as well as my personal balance changes in seperate PK4's.

To install, the original Golden Edition files must be in the "base" folder. The S08Rebalance files are completely optional.

These PK4's are merely a proof-of-concept, and don't necessarily reflect on what Das|-| may have in mind for the project in the near future.

Changelog is in the spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

Doom 3

• S08-Rebalance: Shotgun clip size reduced to 8, max ammo raised to 32.
  • S08-Rebalance: Shotgun ammo pickups: Gun lowered to +4, Small lowered to +8, Large lowered to +12.

Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil (Golden Edition Proof-Of-Concept)

• Preliminary Support: d3xp-player values have been adjusted to match Golden Edition.
  • Preliminary Support: Pistol values have been adjusted to match Golden Edition. (For some reason this is separate from the "base" Pistol.)
  • S08-Rebalance:Picking up a lone Double-Barreled Shotgun will yield 2 shells.
  • Preliminary Support: A new equip sound has been added for the Double-Barreled Shotgun. Originally, it shared the same "pumping" sound as the standard shotgun.

Doom 3: The Lost Mission (Golden Edition Proof-Of-Concept)

• Preliminary Support: d3le-player values have been adjusted to match Golden Edition.
  • S08-Rebalance: Picking up a lone Double-Barreled Shotgun will yield 2 shells.
  • Preliminary Support: A new equip sound has been added for the Double-Barreled Shotgun. Originally, it shared the same "pumping" sound as the standard shotgun.

Doom 3 Golden Edition - XPLE (Experiemental).7z

Cool. I'll take a look at it when I'm off work.

just make the machine gun not have to reload or something if u hate it lmao. nothing of value is added to the gameplay loop by having the clip be so high but STILL needing to reload. surely you can make the max ammo capacity the same number as the clip size?

On 11/12/2020 at 11:46 PM, EtherBot said:

just make the machine gun not have to reload or something if u hate it lmao. nothing of value is added to the gameplay loop by having the clip be so high but STILL needing to reload. surely you can make the max ammo capacity the same number as the clip size?

No, that's silly. It's not a chaingun, it's a machine gun that uses magazines that are no bigger than my forearm. And having 60 bullets bumped up to 99 per magazine (which isn't that big of a leap) doesn't make reloading pointless, you still need to reload during long stretches of combat, especially during the first boss fight.

Then why not make the Chaingun be the weapon that does not need to be reloaded? Change the UI so that it only displays the total ammo count and make the weapon much less accurate to compensate. In contrast, the Machine Gun would be less powerful and need to be reloaded every so often, but be much more accurate.

On 11/23/2020 at 4:00 AM, DASI-I said:

And having 60 bullets bumped up to 99 per magazine (which isn't that big of a leap) doesn't make reloading pointless

But it does, the element of reloading is completely inconsequential. In the vanilla game you often have to switch to a different gun or try to retreat multiple times in a fight because of the reloading mechanic which makes them feel very kinetic and dynamic. It's not fun literally being able to clear the whole room with JUST the machine gun, and then reload right after. Just because you might have to occasionally reload in the more ludicrously lengthy encounters like a boss fight doesn't make the fact that it reloads valuable for the actual gameplay loop

There is no way in hell 99 bullets can fit in that magazine.

Not even 60, but hey. I can't disagree with id Software. 

14 hours ago, Xyz said:

There is no way in hell 99 bullets can fit in that magazine.

You telling me that a machine gun 125 years in the future can't be more advanced than weapons of today? But even not taking that into consideration, 99 rounds in a magazine that size is absolutely possible with todays tech. The FN P90 can hold 50 rounds in a magazine half the thickness of the ones used in Doom 3, and that's a weapon from 30 years ago. In fact, it actually looks like the Doom 3 machine gun is based on the design of the P90, even down to how you reload it.

15 hours ago, EtherBot said:

But it does, the element of reloading is completely inconsequential. In the vanilla game you often have to switch to a different gun or try to retreat multiple times in a fight because of the reloading mechanic which makes them feel very kinetic and dynamic. It's not fun literally being able to clear the whole room with JUST the machine gun, and then reload right after. Just because you might have to occasionally reload in the more ludicrously lengthy encounters like a boss fight doesn't make the fact that it reloads valuable for the actual gameplay loop

Sure, that makes sense. You're not wrong. I just personally don't like that approach. I don't like it when trites corner you because you have to reload while they eat up your health because you ran out of ammo for your other weapons. It's a very tight predicament, especially for non-seasoned players that don't see it coming or know where all the secret health, armor, ammo and weapon pickups are. As I watch newcomers test these changes, I notice just how much they struggle to not be in a position where they have to reload during relentless attacks. It's easy for you and me because we have the experience and the discipline to disable auto reload so that we can switch to a different weapon as soon as a clip is emptied. But I didn't make this only for pros but also for first time players. The machinegun is basically useless once you get the rocket launcher, chaingun and Plasmagun. This weapon needed buffing badly, but I didn't want it to be more powerful because that would make the earlier levels too easy.

I don't expect you to agree, only that you understand why I'm doing this. I've changed a lot of things that was the result of feedback from the fans, which I'm grateful for. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna implement every suggestion I receive. I'm not changing the machinegun. Sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

16 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Then why not make the Chaingun be the weapon that does not need to be reloaded? Change the UI so that it only displays the total ammo count and make the weapon much less accurate to compensate. In contrast, the Machine Gun would be less powerful and need to be reloaded every so often, but be much more accurate.

You want the chaingun to be even more inaccurate than it already is? Not happening.  :P  It's already the most imprecise weapon in the entire game that isn't the shotgun.

Have we already forgotten about Aliens' Pulse Rifle and its much smaller magazine that could hold 99 bullets? :P

Just checked this out, and I'm really enjoying the music pack and am grateful that you kept it as a separate file. It really increases tension and immersion for me. Did you simply replace the ambient noise loops that were already there, or are the sounds layered on top? There isn't a .sndshd so it must be the former, but either way, it fits well so far in my opinion. And are all the sounds rearranged existing sounds in the game's folders or are they new, and if they're new where did they come from? I recognize the fast synth pulse effect, but I'd like to know more about your approach in that regard.

As far as the meat of the mod, gameplay rebalancing and sound effect tweaks for Doom 3 are very subjective, trivial, will always be divisive, and are easy to change so I don't have much to comment about other than yours isn't for me and I've already made my own for personal use. For me nothing is better than using Doom 3's alpha shotgun with sound effects from Killing Floor, edited for timing. Nothing will ever be as good. And to have trites explode into a gross mess of blood and pus with the particle editor. And other things.

To edit the amount of armor that's absorbed, you can edit the ai_player.script in the torso animation control section. These settings feel right for me, but your mileage may vary. Even with armor maxed at 125 you'll rarely have max armor during gameplay with these settings, but I still set my armor cap at 100, and security armor only gives 25 points of armor instead of 50. But that's just how I roll.

Spoiler

void player::Torso_Idle() {
	playCycle( ANIMCHANNEL_TORSO, "idle" );

eachFrame {
           if ( sys.getcvar ( "g_skill" ) == "1")
             {
			  if ( sys.getcvar ( "g_armorProtection" ) != "0.8")
			  {
              sys.setcvar( "g_armorProtection", "0.8" );
			  }
			  if ( sys.getcvar ( "g_damageScale" ) != "2")
			  {
              sys.setcvar( "g_damageScale", "2" );
			  }
             }
           else
           if ( sys.getcvar ( "g_skill" ) == "2")
             {
			  if ( sys.getcvar ( "g_armorProtection" ) != "0.8")
			  {
              sys.setcvar( "g_armorProtection", "0.8" );
			  }
			  if ( sys.getcvar ( "g_damageScale" ) != "3")
			  {
              sys.setcvar( "g_damageScale", "3" );
			  }
             }
		if ( AI_TELEPORT ) {
			animState( ANIMCHANNEL_TORSO, "Torso_Teleport", 0 );
		}
		if ( AI_WEAPON_FIRED || weapon.WEAPON_START_FIRING ) {
			animState( ANIMCHANNEL_TORSO, "Torso_Fire", 2 );
		}
		if ( AI_ATTACK_HELD && start_fire ) {
			animState( ANIMCHANNEL_TORSO, "Torso_Fire_StartFire", 2 );
		}
		if ( AI_PAIN ) {
			animState( ANIMCHANNEL_TORSO, "Torso_Pain", 0 );
		}
	}
}

On 11/28/2020 at 1:23 AM, Lippeth said:

Did you simply replace the ambient noise loops that were already there, or are the sounds layered on top? There isn't a .sndshd so it must be the former, but either way, it fits well so far in my opinion. And are all the sounds rearranged existing sounds in the game's folders or are they new, and if they're new where did they come from? I recognize the fast synth pulse effect, but I'd like to know more about your approach in that regard.

Everything is stuff that already existed in the base game. No custom *.snd files or other additional scripting. The ambiance or music was just converted to stereo with slightly increased volume and many of the sound effects just used other versions of those sound effects that was already in the game. Even the shotgun sound effect is actually a blend of the vanilla shotgun, enemy shotgun, and the BFG edition's shotgun.

I just have a question for everyone: Did anyone actually finish the game without modifying Golden Edition to their own tastes, but actually gave it a chance? Did you try it on Nightmare mode? Golden Edition was actually balanced around it's version of Nightmare mode.

On 10/11/2020 at 1:41 AM, Tetzlaff said:

You have my attention :)

I hope it's not another attempt at dumbing Doom 3 down to make it more appealing to the "I just wanna shoot things!!!" players.

Dumbing down? What do you mean by that?

Edited by The Strife Commando : Sounded dumb, so I changed it

On 11/29/2020 at 2:57 PM, DASI-I said:

I just have a question for everyone: Did anyone actually finish the game without modifying Golden Edition to their own tastes, but actually gave it a chance? Did you try it on Nightmare mode? Golden Edition was actually balanced around it's version of Nightmare mode.

I played up to Monorail on Veteran difficulty

19 hours ago, Lippeth said:

It looks like the beginning of Enpro Plant.

You are right, I just checked it. Thank you!

Is the golden edition compatible with any HD texture mods, If I want the Golden edition changes, but with Higher resolution textures, is there any way to do this? Thank you! 

18 hours ago, Yhe1 said:

Is the golden edition compatible with any HD texture mods, If I want the Golden edition changes, but with Higher resolution textures, is there any way to do this? Thank you! 

i dont believe it would conflict w/ any texture mods

Afaik there is a stand-alone version of the Lost Mission. Is see no reason why Golden Edition shouldn't work with it.

Hello... Is it compatible with the dhewm3 source port? Thanks!

Edit: Works like a charm! Thank you so much for this! ;)

Edited by SilentMRG