Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snark

NEED PLAYTESTING FOR MINI WAD

Hey

Don't have a lot of time left for mapping but still wanna add a little something, so I'm working on a small thing called COFFEE BREAK CARNAGE.

All in the name really, bite sized 5 to 10 minute long maps for those demon killing urges when you have a moment to yourself, aiming for 18, done 4 so far, if someone'd like to give 'em a quick run to check for stupid mistakes I'd be grateful.

-For limit-removing ports, made in doom builder 2, tested with GZDOOM g4.3.3

-Extra textures from the awesome Resurgence with kind permission from Joshy

-Gonna be 6x3 map minisodes, with death exits at the end of every trio.

-Difficulty levels awkwardly implemented, meant to be medium-hardish, continuous play make things quite a bit easier

- No jumping or crouching, freelook recommended but not necessary

Get it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JApHrJaZ5giWmTRVr4AAEqFAiMcUKUg_/view?usp=sharing

(Oh, and I will rework the titlepic when I have the time)

Grrenglow.png.75d517bad4eba4bac0c8000f8d5adcf0.pngredtech.png.8b59c719770fc9710983733ccd014e1c.pngredtech2.png.0933d5f09e90bb52e1d2ac5a71aa0cc9.pngYellow.png.bbe2f081ab3a3e1ada3d6c9e5dcef408.pngderelict.png.0e8039f8046b1957d56b70acff0959e0.pngderelict2.png.2b833f1b278c619f111eb6433f49cb1e.png

Edited by boojum snark

Hmmm I'm too oldschool to figure out how to download via the method you gave .. any other way you can link us ?

yeah we don't have download permission on the first link, second link requires an account.

You can just upload the zip file to your main post!

On 10/10/2020 at 4:43 AM, Clippy said:

On 10/10/2020 at 6:36 AM, Juka said:

Edited by boojum snark

17 minutes ago, ste4lth7722 said:

i dont get what people mean, i used breezip and got the wad fine.. playing it now

Worked out what wasn't working, changed the downloadable file in the first post, they were right. Never thought I could just upload the  zipped file into the post, not very good with tech, my bad.

If you are planning this to be boom compatible, then I would very strongly advise you to test with prboom/glboom+ rather than gzdoom. As of now there are a few immediate problems when playing this with prboom+ 2.5.1.3 complevel 9.

• Prboom+ doesn't recognize the titlepic patch format so you can't drag&drop play the wad (I have no idea what the unknown patch format error actually means though and how to fix it...)
  • The first map breaks at the tag 5 door/wall area as your tag 5 action in linedef 997 doesn't work currently. I think it's because linedef 995 with tag 7 action is too close (?)

5 hours ago, Juka said:

You can just upload the zip file to your main post!

Just be aware there is a total account attachment size limit (50MB I think), I was caught out by this limit pretty fast when I first joined. So if you want to post loads of screenshots and other uploads, consider using an offsite host and linking - the post editor is pretty good at auto-generating remote image or download URL embeds.

I use Github, though Dropbox, Google drive etc. (with appropriate permissions of course) are good alternatives.

See here for your quota.

I love the look of this, but I think I'm too dumb to actually get through it. I killed a hell knight and a pinky/hit a skull switch, and now I have no idea what to do. There's a door here that I can't open:

Ks8ROn9.png

I'm playing in Zandronum with default settings, is there a possibility the compatibility settings are messing with the intended progression? Or have I just missed something obvious? Loving the look of this set so I want to get through without doing any cheats, so I figured I'd ask here for a walkthrough of this part (lol)

3 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I think I'm too dumb to actually get through it. I killed a hell knight and a pinky/hit a skull switch, and now I have no idea what to do. There's a door here that I can't open

You, dumb? Perish the thought, mate. ;^) I had the same issue myself using GZDoom on default as well. Either we're both dopes who couldn't find a switch or something has gone awry.

1 minute ago, Biodegradable said:

You, dumb? Perish the thought, mate. ;^) I had the same issue myself using GZDoom on default as well. Either we're both dopes who couldn't find a switch or something has gone awry.

Just realized, it probably has to do with what Veinen reported!

5 hours ago, Veinen said:

The first map breaks at the tag 5 door/wall area as your tag 5 action in linedef 997 doesn't work currently. I think it's because linedef 995 with tag 7 action is too close (?)

7 hours ago, Veinen said:

If you are planning this to be boom compatible, then I would very strongly advise you to test with prboom/glboom+ rather than gzdoom. As of now there are a few immediate problems when playing this with prboom+ 2.5.1.3 complevel 9.

• Prboom+ doesn't recognize the titlepic patch format so you can't drag&drop play the wad (I have no idea what the unknown patch format error actually means though and how to fix it...)
  • The first map breaks at the tag 5 door/wall area as your tag 5 action in linedef 997 doesn't work currently. I think it's because linedef 995 with tag 7 action is too close (?)

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Just realized, it probably has to do with what Veinen reported!

Okay, changed the tag 5 wall thingy, any better? 

Fine 4 small maps, last one was way to dark (and i had 0.20 and couldn't see a frick), ammo needs some rebalancing. Fights are a bit boring in my opinion. Layouts and texturing are quite good. Needs some polishing. Also there is a softlock in map 3, check it out :)

Here as promised @boojum snark

I'll try it out soon, but you may want to change the name, there's already a pretty well known set called "Coffee Break"

COFFEE BREAK CARNAGE

Ultra-Violence mode || GZDoom || DoomDelta

Map 01: 

*Deaths: 0
*Saves: none
*Score?: 1119 points
(Literally played 4 times, questions about it accepted)

Screenshot_Doom_20201010_215752.png.b46d833e20dbffaa54577e545a87c8a9.png

Well this map was really interesting, it looked like really cool colors, a very interesting green, which went well with the site, I mean, black with green goes great, plus the whole environment felt like it was futuristic, all a very well accomplished building that, for some reason reminds me at some level of the first Unreal, anyway, everything was quite good, regarding the difficulty, it is acceptable, it is not macabre at all, or it pretends to be mean to the player, It is simply adjusted for veterans who have played in closed spaces before, I also include myself in it, plus most of the enemies are Zombiemans, Shotgunners, Imps and Pinkys, easy enemies to deal with when they are few, as for the strong enemies, only They are 1 Hell Knight, 2 Mancubus in different areas, and 2 Revenants at the end, to summarize, it was not difficult to deal with all that, and the truth is, I quite liked the map, what a great way to introduce us to the adventure, very well made here. By the way, thanks also for the Chaingun in the only secret that the level had.

MAP 02:

*Score?: 3051 Points (Counting what has been achieved from the previous level/map)

Screenshot_Doom_20201010_220910.png.1b1a64f071fb6d62bb8d91b199178d86.png

When I started this map, I automatically liked everything I saw, the red and black colors, used in the decoration as a kind of site with a lot of technology, it is quite amazing to me, besides the fact that everything related to the aesthetics of "Neon I like it too much, but hey, outside of the theme of the set, the structure of the site is still fascinating to me, now let's move on to the difficulty, because it is where this map stands out, because unlike the previous level, this one does affect the addition of enemies, not only placing Hitscanners, Pinkys and Imps, but also, it add a little more Revenants, and an Archvile to finish. If it weren't for the fact that the site was quite large, and that in one of the traps before finishing the level, it gets you with quite a few Imps, here are some pillars that serve as defense for both the Archvile and the Revenants, so, Again, this level was enjoyable, here the ammunition at least becomes enough to kill them all and get out of the level with some spare ammunition, which happened to me, but anyway, a very good map built, the I loved the setting, and everything was entertaining and enjoyable.

MAP 03:

*Score?: 4569 Points (Counting what has been achieved from the previous level/map)

Screenshot_Doom_20201010_225333.png.53331f862751c80b486847e97f90d454.png

When I started this map, now everything seemed so yellow, according to me, I thought that now I was in another dimension or something like that, everything so yellow with black, it already seemed something out of the "Deus Ex Human Revolution", or maybe I'm being very exaggerated in this part, haha, anyway, with respect to the architecture of the map, quite good, it gives some visual pleasure and you would like to stay to appreciate the environment for certain moments, really great, now with the difficulty, this if it takes a little more difficult things, most of the enemies are now certainly hidden by areas that you do not expect until when you walk ahead, where you are focused on carrying out the kill, suddenly those traps are released and special enemies can come to attack you by surprise, as it is by For example, the Pinky or the Revenant that come out of areas that you did not see before, on the other hand, with the enemies that are seen, this time the Cacodemons were introduced to attack you from the sky, there is not much problem, already that now the map includes the Super Shotgun, ready to kill those floating balls of meat, and finally, the final meeting has a certain challenge but it is not a huge problem, due to the fact that you press the switches one at a time and not several at the same time (as happened with Zolgia in the latter, for example) and like the previous level, this map contains a surprise Archvile, that if you already know me, you will know that I hate surprise Archviles, although It's customary to run into them for being an old idea among map makers, but in this case, there was where to defend oneself, places to hide, so there is no complaint about this, but what I really hated was the end of death instantaneous, another idea that, like the Archvile, also comes to be planned by the creators of Wads, mostly seen in Megawads (1K lines Community Project, for example), although it's rare to see them in small wads, anyway, the final if it was really bad for me, but the rest before the end was quite entertaining and I liked the visual charm of the same formula of using technological areas for everything, with those colors that make it really a charm, at least for me.

(By the way, could you tell me how to unlock the secret of map 3?)

MAP 04:

*Deaths: 1 (Killed by Chaingunner)

*Score?: 1735 Points (Too bad to have lost all those points because of the death of Map 03...)

Screenshot_Doom_20201010_231834.png.e55cb1b701dde0ef0c7ba757ba317e02.png

Perhaps, having reached this last level, I understood the reason for the instant death of the previous map, so as not to take advantage of both the ammunition and the equipment of the weapons, health and armor obtained from the previous map, worth the redundancy, because this level, if it was a horror, literally seemed like something out of a survival horror, as is Slenderman, Amnesia, or even like the Alien game where you kill those species in extremely dark bases, or as if it were Metro 2033, the map was all the way, 100% dark, you couldn't see anything, although well, there were parts that were illuminated, like the teleporter where you arrive, with an orange color in its very cool technological model, but otherwise, it really felt like enemies could appear anywhere, planning a good ambush, while poor Marine is limited to just imagining where those monsters may be throughout the entire duration. I have run, and yes, I am aware that there are ways to remove this effect but I have not done it because it would clearly ruin the experience that this level brings, besides that there were not so many enemies as to be forced to do so, which only guided me nothing more than looking at the map, and listening to the different sounds those creatures made, although on the other hand, it also guided me with the attacks of each Hitscanner that I encountered, and with the imps as well, the whole journey is quite complicated, due to the visual limitation , and also the ammunition has a lot to do with the problem that this level posed for you, fortunately, certain areas had good space for combat, so all was not lost. In the level, Hitscanners and Imps were very abundant, there were other demons, but those do not come in many groups, they are quite few to tell the truth, besides that an Archvile was also included among the demons present, but only in the last huge room and dark where there is more danger, which, as an aid that I did to myself, and that may be useful to other Doomers who decide to play this part, I recommend that in the last place where there will be 2 switches with which they will release many enemies , you must first press the switch on the left side before the switch on the right, because the right is to open a door that connects to that place, and it also opens the exit, instead the other will only take out enemies such as hitscanners or Imps, but it will also go to the Archvile that comments before, therefore, leaving a trail of bodies that lead to those rare ventilation ducts where you initially enter that place, helps a lot, since that place r serves as a trap to catch that Archvile and kill it easily, oh, and as the last thing to add, this level brings for the first time the Arachnatron, who appears blocking the exit of the map, from then on, the map is entertaining, no as expected, but it is interesting to try new game modes, also that I had played Survival Horror games before, so it was not very difficult for me to win the map, apart from the fact that I died only once due to fault of a Chaingunner that caught me off guard from the front, anyway the map was enjoyable, and I'll give good credit for staying alert the whole time I was playing the level, and for not adding any Screamer or Jumpscare at the end, hahahaha

Edited by ElPadrecitoCholo

Alright, I checked out your fixed version and map01 now works. Another general bug is that the interpic has the same unknown patch format error as titlepic so prboom crashes immediately upon exit. Random thoughts and bugs:

Map01: Thing 48 (Manc) seems susceptible of getting stuck on the edges of his little platform in boom. I think here you could use monster blocking lines around sector 257 to avoid this issue, as you want the Manc to stick to the center of the area. This monsters getting stuck on ledges -thing is a general "boom-ism" to be considered as it can happen pretty often if you have high & small (relative to monster size) platforms. You use a lot of floor detailing and different floor heights which causes movement to be kind of bumpy and annoying in the long run so I would perhaps suggest smoothing out some of them with the transfer height action, especially tighter areas where you also have some combat.

Map02: Everything worked fine here. I like how the central area is used several times in different kind of combat scenarios. Ammo is kind of stingy and I can easily see a situation where you would run out if the AV rezzes too many enemies and you're not comfortable baiting infight and using the central area to fight the AV head on. Wouldn't mind having the SSG for the final & penultimate fights since most of the difficulty in the finale comes from lack of hiding spots rather than tough opposition.

Map03: Linedef 245 tag 3 action doesn't work in prboom cl9 so you can't finish the map. Why have linedefs 130 and 132 as monster blocking? Seems it would be perfectly fine to let the monsters roam free, especially the ones stuck behind linedef 132 since the logical reaction to the trap is to run out of the room, after which the monsters pose no threat whatsoever.

Map04: This is just too dark for me to enjoy. The vent sections in particular are pitch black and I have to use what little ammunition I have for illumination to get an idea what is going on. You can't see the enemies so you don't know when to dodge and when to shoot. I understand that you're probably going for a horror vibe in this map but pitch blackness is no good. The aesthetics here seem really nice though so it's a shame you can't see most of it. A slight increase in overall lighting level or having more brighter spots amidst the darkness would go a long way.

I attached my FDAs, recorded with gbloom+ 2.5.1.3 complevel 9. DNF on map03 & 04.

FDA_coffeebreak.zip

On 10/10/2020 at 11:06 AM, Veinen said:

My bad, should've tested it more thoroughly on more ports, just don't have the time, guess I'll just say it's for limit -removing ports only, thanks for pointing this out

On 10/10/2020 at 4:53 PM, Doomkid said:

I love the look of this, but I think I'm too dumb to actually get through it. I killed a hell knight and a pinky/hit a skull switch, and now I have no idea what to do. There's a door here that I can't open:

Ks8ROn9.png

I'm playing in Zandronum with default settings, is there a possibility the compatibility settings are messing with the intended progression? Or have I just missed something obvious? Loving the look of this set so I want to get through without doing any cheats, so I figured I'd ask here for a walkthrough of this part (lol)

On 10/10/2020 at 4:57 PM, Biodegradable said:

Should be fixed, should have tested more in other ports, I thought it would be fine, but it was a muffin...

Sorry I haven’t played through this yet and left feedback now that it’s fixed, I will do soon!

On 10/10/2020 at 12:12 PM, Zolgia108 said:

hey boojum! I will try to play this tonight, i am sure it will be a nice work man :) 

will let you know!

The legend of Zolgia...  Thanks a million for your time, fixed the softlocks and added some ammo . Also upped the lighting in level 04, for some reason it was fine when I was testing it but others had the same problem, so many different ports with different settings..., might rework the combat later when I have the time. Once again your help is invaluable, you seem really good at finding thosee little rare situations where the maps dont work as intended. Sorry if you thought the combat was boring, but they're the "introductory" maps, it amps up later on. Out of curiosity I'd love to see see some of your work but have trouble finding them, any quick links you could send me? Grazie.

On 10/10/2020 at 8:26 PM, Egg Boy said:

I'll try it out soon, but you may want to change the name, there's already a pretty well known set called "Coffee Break"

Damn, didn't know that, I'll try to find something else, thanks for the info.

20 hours ago, Clippy said:

I just started uploading this so maybe need time to process

Yo, the man clippy, still trying to get the grin off my face after playing your last map, interesting stuff. Thanks for recording this, helps a lot seeing people with different play styles try the same maps, realised I was too stringy on ammo. Love the commentary, will buy you some fried chicken if I get to see you IRL. Think I fixed most of the issues, especially the DOOM3 DARKNESS of map 04. Kudos 2 U, owe you one.

19 hours ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

COFFEE BREAK CARNAGE

Wow, I'm deeply impressed , and thankful, for the input. The time you must have spent just typing this...I am actually humbled. Glad you enjoyed most of it, love the way you described map 04 even though it turned out much darker than when I tested it. As a result I turned the lights up, less survival horror but a lot more playable.  Cheers mate.

16 hours ago, Veinen said:

Alright, I checked out your fixed version and map01 now works. Another general bug is that the interpic has the same unknown patch format error as titlepic so prboom crashes immediately upon exit. Random thoughts and bugs:

Map01: Thing 48 (Manc) seems susceptible of getting stuck on the edges of his little platform in boom. I think here you could use monster blocking lines around sector 257 to avoid this issue, as you want the Manc to stick to the center of the area. This monsters getting stuck on ledges -thing is a general "boom-ism" to be considered as it can happen pretty often if you have high & small (relative to monster size) platforms. You use a lot of floor detailing and different floor heights which causes movement to be kind of bumpy and annoying in the long run so I would perhaps suggest smoothing out some of them with the transfer height action, especially tighter areas where you also have some combat.

Map02: Everything worked fine here. I like how the central area is used several times in different kind of combat scenarios. Ammo is kind of stingy and I can easily see a situation where you would run out if the AV rezzes too many enemies and you're not comfortable baiting infight and using the central area to fight the AV head on. Wouldn't mind having the SSG for the final & penultimate fights since most of the difficulty in the finale comes from lack of hiding spots rather than tough opposition.

Map03: Linedef 245 tag 3 action doesn't work in prboom cl9 so you can't finish the map. Why have linedefs 130 and 132 as monster blocking? Seems it would be perfectly fine to let the monsters roam free, especially the ones stuck behind linedef 132 since the logical reaction to the trap is to run out of the room, after which the monsters pose no threat whatsoever.

Map04: This is just too dark for me to enjoy. The vent sections in particular are pitch black and I have to use what little ammunition I have for illumination to get an idea what is going on. You can't see the enemies so you don't know when to dodge and when to shoot. I understand that you're probably going for a horror vibe in this map but pitch blackness is no good. The aesthetics here seem really nice though so it's a shame you can't see most of it. A slight increase in overall lighting level or having more brighter spots amidst the darkness would go a long way.

I attached my FDAs, recorded with gbloom+ 2.5.1.3 complevel 9. DNF on map03 & 04.

FDA_coffeebreak.zip

Indeed, I fucked up on the boom compatibility thingy, so, like the lazy bastard I am, I gave up and just now say it's for limit removing ports. Think I fixed the linedef thingy in map three and amped up the lights on 4, thanks for your time, and nazdrovie.