Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anarkavre

Doom RPG Reverse Engineering Project

I have always been curious about the DOOM RPGs but was sad to find out they were phone games. Good luck with this project, it is lookin' good so far!

On 1/5/2021 at 3:14 AM, Anarkavre said:

Here are the last two videos.

Revenant

Belphegor

Thank you for sharing the videos. I'm really surprised how the game smooth is. Looks like a 60FPS.

Would you have a time to record some additional videos? I would love to see Plasma Gun in action (there are literally no videos showing it) and two moments in game:

• Sector 7: Red Alert moment, when walls are getting destroyed and whole sector undergoes a 'makeover'.
  • Portal area after Kronos battle.

Oh god! I always wanted to try Doom RPG without having to buy a brick to be able to play a lesser Doom Spin-Off.

Although i fear that using the name Doom RPG might cause legal problems, just like what happened to Doom RL.

On 1/5/2021 at 4:14 AM, Anarkavre said:

Here are the last two videos.

Revenant

Belphegor

Hey!
We are working on Doom RPG Remake Project (DRRP) and we need some information to improve it before the BREW version is retrieved.
Could you record the full fight with Kronos?
And show the arena, so that we can recreate it.
And also, what happens after the victory over Kronos.
And also, if possible, a fight with Cyberdemon, if it differs from what is in the J2ME version.

Thank you

Hey, if the files were extracted, and not shared, I don't see any reason why I would leave my tutorial in the open.

Correct me if I am wrong.

They have waited so long for these files, I don't think a little more caused problems, sooner or later they will be available somehow.

https://gist.github.com/usernameak/158bf0302596d8d4b78741c6e2db21f6

this might be useful for you, @Anarkavre

hint: all resources in Doom2RPG/OrcsAndElves2/OrcsAndElves1 are RESTYPE_IMAGE with a gzip archive inside, so most likely it'd be same in Doom1RPG; gzip headers contain the original filename but the game itself finds the files by resource id

*.mod file is just a raw ARMv5 executable that is compiled and linked with -fPIC; you can load it at any address greater than 0x1000 into a disassembler and reverse-engineer it

Edited by /bin/cat

@Forlorn @PROPHESSOR I will try to record some more videos when I have some free time.

@/bin/cat Thank you for the information. I figured out enough of the bar file format in a hex editor to write a utility to extract the resources, but that clarified the things I wasn't sure about.

Video of the first level on the Zeebo

Spoiler

Edited by kraze

Junction (before we go to Sector 1)

Spoiler

Edited by kraze

I uploaded the BREW versions of Doom RPG and Orcs & Elves to archive.org for preservation. You can contact me by private message for links or search for them on your own.

Video of the Sector 3 on the Zeebo

Spoiler

Edited by kraze

Doom RPG - Sector 4 footage is out

Spoiler

Edited by kraze

Doom RPG - Sector 5

Spoiler

Edited by kraze

By the way Sector 5 still throws System Error on the Zeebo.

To bypass that you need to load Sector 6 first through developer menu (3666 in the main menu), and then load Sector 5 the same way.

Edited by kraze

Hi @Anarkavre! 

Can you please upload source of your engine? I think, it's gonna be very good, make it free for all.

I very afraid of situation when you will be tired of doing this and just abandon it without uploading any sources and project is will gone....

Footage of Sector 6 of Doom RPG (BREW version) is out.

Spoiler

Edited by kraze

Looks like I did not post the remaining footage of the game on this forum.

Here it is.

Sector 7

Destroyed Junction

Reactor

Missed Secret Areas

@kraze Thank you for the series of playthrough videos. They have been enjoyable to watch and valuable for making observations.