Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anarkavre

Doom RPG Reverse Engineering Project

When you download the file from the archive, there's an update in there as well - should you run the update patch?  I didn't and it seems to be working fine with .02

I'm sorry I have been gone so long, but I finally decided to release the Doom RPG Utility that I created. It contains all of the .h and .c files to read the game data files. The project is a bit rough still, but fairly simple to build. Feel free to ask me any questions if you have issues.

8 hours ago, Anarkavre said:

I'm sorry I have been gone so long, but I finally decided to release the Doom RPG Utility that I created. It contains all of the .h and .c files to read the game data files. The project is a bit rough still, but fairly simple to build. Feel free to ask me any questions if you have issues.

Great, I've been checking the structures and found that the header is missing a couple of bytes.

typedef struct
{
	uint8_t name[16];
	color_t floorColor;
	color_t ceilingColor;
	uint16_t unknown;
	uint8_t unused[3];
	uint8_t levelId;
	uint16_t playerPosition;
	uint8_t playerAngle;
} bspheaderex_t;

// Modified
typedef struct
{
	uint8_t name[16];
	color_t floorColor;
	color_t ceilingColor;
	uint8_t floorTex;
	uint8_t ceilingTex;
	color_t introColor;
	uint8_t loadMapID;
	uint16_t mapSpawnIndex;
	uint8_t mapSpawnDir;
	uint16_t mapCameraSpawnIndex;
} bspheaderex_t;

That completes the unknown names

1 hour ago, Anarkavre said:

Here is the source code for the reverse engineering project. The project is still alive.

Doing things the way they should be done, thanks so much on behalf of everybody. As we've discussed I'll def be helping out going forward :)

So heartwarming to see Quasar finally able to dabble on the reverse-engineered DOOM RPG source code. Kudos to Anarkavre for appearing at the right time within the month of Classic Doom's source code release anniversary!

1 hour ago, Delfino Furioso said:

I'm confused, is the published code the same used to build this?

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/129997-doom-rpg-port-reverse-engineering-update-version-02/

This is a different project with the hopes of modernizing it with a 3D renderer, virtual reality, mapping, and mod support. The other project is a great reverse engineering effort as well.

13 hours ago, Anarkavre said:

Here is the source code for the reverse engineering project. The project is still alive.

Good job anarkavre, this is amazing how our code differs from both projects, I know at some point I will make my version of the code available.