Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lovin'TheDemonSlaughter

Have the master levels been abandoned?

So, I've been wondering recently, have Eternal's master levels been abandoned? Unless you unlock them in some way during the campaign I only have two, Cultist Base and Arc Complex, so, is there more? Was there a secret I missed? Or have they been abandoned by id

I think they're focusing on the DLC right now. They need something to fill the time between DLC 1 and 2, maybe they'll release one or two master levels between them.

In a recent interview, it’s been confirmed that Super Gore Nest will be the next master level, and that master levels themselves will be reworked to have more of an arcade-like feel to them.

4 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

In a recent interview, it’s been confirmed that Super Gore Nest will be the next master level, and that master levels themselves will be reworked to have more of an arcade-like feel to them.

To add on to this:

- The Super Gore Nest Master Level will release alongside the DLC [source].

- Master Levels will have "modes" - a new Classic Mode, Ultra-Nightmare mode, and Extra-Lives mode. Completing modes unlock cosmetics [source].

They have mentioned that working from home has slowed down development, so they've mostly been working on the DLCs - which is why there haven't been that many updates to Master Levels, Battlemode, Invasion, or the Switch port.

I believe someone pressed Hugo about this on reddit to which he pointed out that the pandemic has slowed things down.

Edit:

The Exultia Master Level literally shipped with the game, they could unlock it at any point if they wanted. Frankly it’s absurd they’ve made us wait this long for any new content.

On 10/12/2020 at 2:33 PM, Faceman2000 said:

The Exultia Master Level literally shipped with the game, they could unlock it at any point if they wanted. Frankly it’s absurd they’ve made us wait this long for any new content.

A pandemic does that when a team used to working together in person for years and years has to suddenly pack up and adapt to working remotely. DLC is priority #1 right now, that's why master levels and invasion mode have been delayed. People paid extra money to get them within a year, they are obligated to work on that before anything else when any timeline they had for development got thrown out the window.

Exultia did ship with the game and was dormant in the code (it wasn't very good), but recently they made the decision that they want master levels from here on out to change more than just monster spawns, starting with Super Gore Nest, so it's likely that version of the level has been scrapped entirely at this point. Each master level is assigned one person, so they probably pop in and work on them when they can.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

Played the master levels (ARC and Cultist) for the first time and really enjoyed them :-) They feel much more like classic Doom. On UV they were not as hard as expected.

I reckon they must mean one “lead” who then has a small team under them... I’d be shocked and amazed that each master level is solely done by one person.

that said, the people at id are gurus so it’s possible 

I think that they've also been slowing down due to the Microsoft bethesda acquisition since they're unsure of their future.

18 hours ago, nycemt123 said:

I think that they've also been slowing down due to the Microsoft bethesda acquisition since they're unsure of their future.

I don't think that would have any effect whatsoever on Doom Eternal, especially within 'Year One'

I'm sure it'll be business as usual for all current projects.