Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mxrgan

What kind of maps do you enjoy?

Im posting this as kind of a social experiment, just to learn about what people like. Anyways, what kind of maps do you like to play? This ranges from Slaughter maps, to Techbases, to Hellish landscapes and maybe even fortresses.

EDIT: For maps I like, I enjoy some classic styled maps, but I like playing ones that are linear but have some pretty neat secrets, though im not the best secret hunter, and a considerable ammount of monsters, but not too much, depending on its length. For themes, I enjoy both gothic/medieval and techbase maps.

Edited by BucketHoodie

My favorite maps are ones that prioritize immersion.

Like it picks a theme and tries to create that convincingly, while still getting as much interesting gameplay as possible out of it.

On that note I usually prefer more grounded environments that aren't especially slaughter-mappy.

Episode 1 of Valiant and Darkness 2 are some well-known wads that have done this stuff exceptionally well

I really enjoy maps with interesting spins on regular Doom combat. Ones where if you try mindlessly supershotgunning all enemies, you won't get anywhere, but instead have to treat encounters more like puzzles to first solve and then overcome. Ribbiks does this incredibly well, I just wish I was good enough at the game to play his maps on UV.

I enjoy a lot of tech-style knee-deep in the dead-tone maps as well as a lot of fun secrets and door traps. I enjoy a lot of Doom combat based on shotgunners, cacodemons, and imps.

Pick up and play maps I'd say.

A few other favorites offhand:

25 minute maps, maps in hell, maps in tech bases, maps outside space bases (I like being able to fall off the map for some reason, probably keeps me focused), maps with a lot of mid tier monsters and no high tier monsters.

Edited by AinuTheTaken

I usually like long maps of 30-80 minutes that use all of doom's available monsters and weapons in all the map, making a very enjoyable hour of doom

I like all kinds but I'm not good at slaughter maps tho 

I like maps that are sorta easy I don't like maps were they don't interest me like the ones that are too long but many monsters but playable 

I like 5-10 minute maps made by beginner doom map designers the most. Recently that's all I play. Something about them is just really interesting to me because they can surprise you in either good or bad way... I like doom-like design, plenty of small rooms, sexy map design and as many secrets as possible, ideally most of them easy with low-rewards and few really tough but really rewarding.
I like when there's few pickups, little quirks that make the wad challenging and force the player to go through some trial and error.

I love medium-sized maps that take around 8-15mins to complete. Techbases are my favourite type theme-wise. A good measured balance of cruelty and reward for exploring is nice and also dynamic combat that makes use of interesting team-ups between the demons and their abilities is great fun.

I like maps with custom textures because the standard Doom 2 set just doesnt appeal to me that much. Although herculean efforts like Breach use them very well. Medieval/gothic themes are my favorite, as well as other historical periods like Egyptian and Aztec. Alternate techbase styles like in BTSX are cool too.

I enjoy level design in an Ultimate Doom style with a lot of non-linearity and optional areas. Exploration is a huge part of what makes Doom rewarding.

For encounters I prefer more modern gameplay with strategically-placed tough monsters. But not when every encounter feels meticulously designed to be super challenging, like some maps in Eviternity.  UAC Ultra is like the perfect middle-ground between Doom 1 and Skillsaw wads for me.

Not a fan of slaughtermaps. "Preacher" is the only super-high-enemy wad I've enjoyed, because the large majority of monsters are popcorn-tier (imps and zombies). That way there's a lot of threats keeping the tension high, but it doesnt feel like a grind or a puzzle to kill them.

I've got two key preferences that seem to be quite niche:

1. Small maps, preferably in episodes (or entire megaWADs) where there's some creativity at work and difficulty doesn't ever get too silly. Bonus points for good continuous balance. Examples being Mini-level megaWAD, Deathless, Khorus' Speedy Shit and, to an extent, the DBPs, although they get away with longer maps through not being megaWADs! Demonfear with the DWMC is scratching this itch this month.
  2. 40+ minute adventures, preferably in (G)ZDoom that, again, don't go too high in difficulty, but reward exploration and have some fun with theming or secrets. ZDCMP1 and 2 are the stand-outs, but also stuff like Waterlab GZDoom by Enjay, UAC Invasion - The Supply Depot by DoomKnight and The Ultimate Torment 'n' Torture by T667. Normally these are single map releases as they're quite involved to make.

I find the traditional 32-map megaWAD is a bit of a slog (particularly older community projects where the maps get very large) and really don't like slaughter maps at all, so more modern community projects often turn me off eventually, as people always seem to submit some.

Short but hard. I love starting very unequipped and having to do a mad dash to grab the firepower I need to come back and finish the job. 

Feeling like a rat in a maze designed by a madman trying to kill me is great. 

4 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

I enjoy non-linear somewhat exploration maps with low monster count but high difficulty

Play magnolia by ribbiks on HMP if you haven't already.

7 minutes ago, Lucky_Edie said:

Play magnolia by ribbiks on HMP if you haven't already

Good wad but it's not my cup of tea. The monster count is 255 even on ITYTD, not counting other things that don't match my opinion above

TNT: Evilution was the prime mover for me about what to search on maps.

-Short and punchy and amazing soundtrack. Check!

-Doomcute, challenging and with sense of humor.  Check!

-Gimmicky and really atmospheric. Check!

-Interconnected and non linear with exploratory elements. Check!

-Oppresive sense of dread and forebonding menace. Check!

-Amazing and epic secret map. Check!

-Monumental long big map that defies the logic. Check!

-Crap map that also has it charm. Check!

-Hub like area with rewarding backtracking. Check!

-Puzzle solving aspect with revolutionary use of the resources. Check!

There are not much mapsets that has all of these topics i crave for. But i found some that are really up there and far better in that department than the mapset that teached me to appreciate all that.

But above all of these points and foremonst of all is the sense of wonder, fun and challenge.

Examples of this are:

-Three is a Crowd

-25 Years on Earth

-CPD

Yes, i'm guilty!

I worked to some extent on this projects, but i appreciate them for what they are on the first place. And they are some of the best i played in long time. Working with this amazing mappers was just a bonus ;)

Maps that offer a lot of exploration and are difficult - if I'm not dying occasionally I'm not having enough fun. Arenas quickly bore me if one follows another -- Doom movement feels too good to pelt around for 10 minutes imprisoned within yet another arena that's probably convex, probably open, at worst circular or symmetrical.

I tend to prefer smaller scale maps because I think Doom's AI - GS genuine stupidity? - and slow projectiles are ill-suited to huge spaces, forcing mappers to pack them out with hordes - often revenants - to reintroduce challenge, slowing gameplay down. For this reason, I think slaughter is actually the most demanding style to do well. Combat gimmicks are good. Clever reconfiguration of existing areas always a winner.

Themewise anything goes, except the classic Ribbiksian combo of neutral background plus bright streaks of an accent colour through the darkness. Unfortunately for me, this is a very influential style (still enjoy a lot of his work, just aesthetics often not my cup of tea).

As for sets, I'm megawad averse. This community has a very high creator/player ratio that produces a lot of amazing stuff and I have limited time for gaming. I prefer playing smaller projects by a greater variety of mappers.

I like immersion and atmosphere above gameplay, as long as gameplay is not literally single shotgunning Barons in large open rooms, I'm fine. Sometimes I admire people who make huge sections of maps just for eye candy, with no monsters. I map pretty slowly (it has sped up recently though), so I think I have to put monsters everywhere, otherwise why did I bother?? Hypocrisy!

The good kind

Jk anything goes as long as it doesn't make me tear my hair out, this means no maze-like maps or slaughter maps.

Edited by sluggard

I tend to prefer maps that lean a bit closer to Doom 1's style. Tight, mostly linear, and with a sprinkle of exploration. Overly long and complex maps rank as some of my least favorites.

10 hours ago, Willy W. said:

I really enjoy maps with interesting spins on regular Doom combat. Ones where if you try mindlessly supershotgunning all enemies, you won't get anywhere, but instead have to treat encounters more like puzzles to first solve and then overcome. Ribbiks does this incredibly well, I just wish I was good enough at the game to play his maps on UV.

That reminds me of a gzdoom mod called Keeper of the Seven Keys. It has a few levels, but they try to do something creative and unique. One involves trying to survive monsters while not shooting to set off a turret system, and one gives you mainly things like a rocket launcher, but has close quarters combat and a bunch of spectres. Thats from what I remember though.

1 hour ago, Charlie Love said:

I tend to prefer maps that lean a bit closer to Doom 1's style. Tight, mostly linear, and with a sprinkle of exploration. Overly long and complex maps rank as some of my least favorites.

I kind of like those as well. I like some more difficulty and some longer levels like 10 - 30 minutes. 30 minutes if that combat and level is fun.

9 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

I like maps with custom textures because the standard Doom 2 set just doesnt appeal to me that much. Although herculean efforts like Breach use them very well. Medieval/gothic themes are my favorite, as well as other historical periods like Egyptian and Aztec. Alternate techbase styles like in BTSX are cool too.

I love custom textures too. My favorite texture pack has got to be OTEX. I want to try using those textures for some of my future maps (that is if I can get to seperate textures from the pack efficiently...) I also loove gothic themes and techbases.

1 hour ago, Triangle Box Studio said:

I like maps with a lot of monsters where you have to use the BFG!

Hell Yeah!

5 hours ago, P41R47 said:

... Examples of this are:

-Three is a Crowd

-25 Years on Earth

-CPD

I've seen you praise Three is a Crowd and CPD a few times, now. I think, if you're listing them alongside my map set, I'll have to check them out next time I'm looking for something to play. Downloaded in advance!