Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dylan Omen

Hell Theme Exit Conventions

Hey there!

what are the common visual exit conventions for hell themed maps?

is it just the white pentagram, the gate4 texture? or are there others?

The sky pit was common in Doom2. An exit linedef with some sort of animated warp texture is a cool effect too, maybe with the glowing sector special for added visual flair. 

Conventions?

Original DOOM format mapping does not offer much variety in the way to end a map. Usually a map ends by pressing a switch in some environment or by crossing a linedef.

An advanced port, think GZDoom, has a few additional options to be more creative, especially when you factor in scripting.

Edited by Kappes Buur

@Kappes Buur People always go on about marking your exits. with tech base themed stuff the classic exit pipe door almost always works, and there are those exit signs on cement, but for Hell, I was curious about what people usually consider as a "marked exit" the reason I bring up the gate4 texture, is that it seemed to be the only discernable visual cue that you were at the exit at least in ultimate until they started doing the skyhole thing in doom2. 

So I guess my question is are those the two visual "conventions" to show the player they're at the exit? 

I think you can do whatever you want while you mark it.

I've seen wads with the exit sign on walls of hell,
Switch exits in hell.
Line exit with a portion of the next map connecting both.

The exit convention was something made for the IWADS.

People doesn't used them ''strictly'' on their projects.
Most people just use the exit way they think fit the progression of their mapset.
So be creative about your as much as you like.

Just mark it.

The exit sign goes well on every context.
Thematically, demons also need to know where are they heading, if it was the bathroom or the exit.

:)

1 hour ago, Dylan Omen said:

So I guess my question is are those the two visual "conventions" to show the player they're at the exit? 

The exit of a map in most pwads is marked by opening the last locked door. But then also the EXIT texture is a dead giveaway.

For example, OBLIGE creates such maps where the exit is clearly marked by a blocked sector with the EXIT texture. The blocked sector is opened from somewhere in the map and leads to another area of the map which eventually leads to the exit switch.

Only in maps from someone just starting out with learning the mapping process have I been able to reach the exit without traversing the whole map first.

The GATE4 texture was universally used as the texture to indicate the exit in Inferno. The red GATE textures were reserved for functioning teleporters within the level.

If you're willing to use non-IWAD textures, there are some exit sign designs that will look right at home in Hell (assuming you can suspend your disbelief about the demons putting up exit signs).

OTEX has some, as do the Gothic texture packs (I use Gothmash.wad).

Thanks folks! I guess the best thing to do is use text initially establish your own convention and then be consistent with it throughout. and I suppose if it's a single map, mark it with text everytime. I have seen a few streamers and lets players who seem pretty oblivious to the traditional exit door. Don't mind text in hell. hahaha. but at the moment I'm just working with vanilla textures. although itching to do something with some others. 

One good vanilla 3 trick is the white teleporter, as well.  So long as all the other teleporters in your level are red ones, a white teleporter would clearly convey the idea of an exit if it's appropriately gated by another action in the level.