Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Percy T

Starter Base, My first wad!

I just figured out the basics of doom builder 2, and I want to create more levels. This one took me about 7-8 hours to make. It's just a small map just to get myself used to the editing and stuff, but in the future I'll bet I can do better and longer levels. Yeah I know, Starter Base is literally the most creative WAD name to ever exist, thank you very much :D. Anyways, I will accept any feedback, positive and negative, because it will help me become a better creator! 

I tested this WAD with ZDoom, using DOOM.wad (Ultimate Doom)

789037737_Screenshot(8).png.535f0c8540de34b796edbefa4df66722.png1291261777_Screenshot(7).png.d2f07d74b902ae66e2a641e2f32ef5b4.png13068256_Screenshot(6).png.c87009be230c2be2e421444fac144f35.png690078295_Screenshot(5).png.f324f8ab0ef200087ca6e4dd5be8a607.png

Here's the files - starterbasedoom.zip

*EDIT - I couldn't get this WAD to launch from anywhere other than Doom Builder 2 Test Mode, so if you have problems, let me know!

Edited by Percy T

A couple issues. Loading it in the Ultimate Doom doesn't work for me and I had to open it in Doom II. There were several missing textures because of this, but I'm pretty sure this is an issue on my end. Besides that, there's a secret with a completely pitch black flashing sector that hurt my eyes, strange lighting and texture choices, the usual. After getting the two keys, I was looking for a door to open to get outside and it took me a few minutes to realize I had to walk through the wall. Once outside, there was a secret with nothing in it. And this one really got me. If you start the map and walk through the wall, there's nothing stopping you. The keycards are worthless. And because of the step down from the base to outside, once out, you cant get back in. There was also no way to end the level from what I found. As a map made to test your abilities in a newly learned program, I'd say it's pretty alright. It definitely felt like a showcase of things you learned more than an actual level. I'd like to see more from you in the future. 

(insert obligatory "you should use the ultimate doom builder because it's newer" here.)

I see what's going on - the map is named MAP01 in the WAD. You can change this by changing the name of the marker I've highlighted here in SLADE - when you're playing Doom 1 in ZDoom it looks for maps in the format ExMx, and will start you in the map called E1M1 in the first episode. If you're playing with Doom 2, it looks for MAP01. It works from the editor with the original DOOM.WAD because Doom Builder starts ZDoom up with a parameter to specifically go to the level that it's editing, instead of the default level.

image.png.5f43189c268c9767f6337b13dcbb2ebf.png

3 minutes ago, N1ck said:

A couple issues. Loading it in the Ultimate Doom doesn't work for me and I had to open it in Doom II. There were several missing textures because of this, but I'm pretty sure this is an issue on my end. Besides that, there's a secret with a completely pitch black flashing sector that hurt my eyes, strange lighting and texture choices, the usual. After getting the two keys, I was looking for a door to open to get outside and it took me a few minutes to realize I had to walk through the wall. Once outside, there was a secret with nothing in it. And this one really got me. If you start the map and walk through the wall, there's nothing stopping you. The keycards are worthless. And because of the step down from the base to outside, once out, you cant get back in. There was also no way to end the level from what I found. As a map made to test your abilities in a newly learned program, I'd say it's pretty alright. It definitely felt like a showcase of things you learned more than an actual level. I'd like to see more from you in the future. 

(insert obligatory "you should use the ultimate doom builder because it's newer" here.)

I just played my WAD through GZDoom, and I understand the blinding secret sector and missing textures. It's odd because I never had those problems with ZDoom (well, it's outdated anyways). I guess I could have went without the keycards too. Thanks for the feedback though, I'll try to make it work next time :)

I just finished playing your map and I think it's pretty nice for a first level!  It has a very vanilla look and feel, which I approve of since I'm a vanilla mapper! :D

I did notice a few issues and I can explain why you were only able to use DB2's test mode to play.

1. The map is MAP01, which is a DOOM II map.  Some source ports can use The Ultimate Doom's map slots for DOOM II and vice-versa.  By typing "map map01" in the GZDoom console, I was able to play your map.

2. You might want to specify gameplay settings for your WADs in the future.  Not every map is designed for modern source port features like jumping (this can be considered cheating in vanilla maps for example) and mouselook.  I got stuck in the outside area until I realized that you probably intended for me to jump.  I typically avoid jumping unless the map designer states that it's allowed or required.  Of course, I can't jump when I play on my DOS PC with vanilla so I also forget about jumping when I do use a source port :D

3. The exit door can only be opened once.  If the player doesn't go inside the room right away, they're stuck and will have to reset the map (or load a save if they're using saves).  I'm guessing this wasn't an intentional design choice.  if you want a door to be opened more than once, make sure you use a door action with "R" instead of "1" (example: "DR" for "Door open wait close more than once" and "D1" for "Door open wait close only once").

4. The .dbs file you included is from Doom Builder 2.  It isn't necessary for players to have.  Of course, you can always give players this file if you want to :D

Overall, this was a pretty solid first map!  I believe you have lots of mapping potential so keep practicing and creating more content for DOOM! :)

Did a first-time playthrough video for you with some comments about how to fix a few things! You're definitely on your way and have got the basics working :)

@N1ck @DavidN @DCG Retrowave I have updated the WAD for a better experience.

Updates:

-No blinding secret #1

-Better lighting

-Fixed the level so it actually launches properly (lol whoopsies)

By the way, I designed the water secret so you don't have to jump, there is no mouselook or jumping required for this WAD.

starterbase_v_1_1.zip

1 minute ago, DavidN said:

Did a first-time playthrough video for you with some comments about how to fix a few things! You're definitely on your way and have got the basics working :)

This is awesome :D

Just checked the new download - nice use of lighting and it works great as a Doom 1 level now :)

Just now, DavidN said:

Just checked the new download - nice use of lighting and it works great as a Doom 1 level now :)

i just realized i forgot to check the walk-through-able bars, brb! XD

looks interesting.. I like the indoor tree planters and the general level detailing. nicely done

but why hexen format, why not doom 2 udmf format?

suggestions:

- add a secret or two (secret way to outdoor area and the long hall thingy)

- use less startan texture

- remember to make outdoor areas accessible (usually as a secret area - remember to set the flag)

Edited by CBM

It's criminally short, but it's reasonably solid. Texture is a little dull, but it's competent and consistent. It's not too shabby, especially for a beginner speedmap. Lots of room for improvement, but I've played a lot of beginner maps and this one doesn't hit too many of the more classic pitfalls, so that's really promising. ;^)

2 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

It's criminally short, but it's reasonably solid. Texture is a little dull, but it's competent and consistent. It's not too shabby, especially for a beginner speedmap. Lots of room for improvement, but I've played a lot of beginner maps and this one doesn't hit too many of the more classic pitfalls, so that's really promising. ;^)

I should have made it more obvious, but you're supposed to shoot the switch in the red key room to access the outdoor area :)

Starter Base

Ultra-Violence mode || GZDoom || Doom64

1810831032_gzdoom15-10-202013-02-58-139.png.0522afc1a7d550d8bdb737339788fcbf.png

A really charming wad in the visual section, really interesting as the architecture used here is really good, from the beginning of the level, to the part where one of the secrets is found in an area completely full of water, very good shape to give charm in such a small and simple map, regarding the difficulty, I don't have much to say in this regard, since the level only has a few hitscanners, Imps and Pinkys as enemies, really digestible, taking into account that the This map was created for the first Doom, but in general, I really liked everything, I had a great time, and it was really entertaining, let's see if I get to play this map on Nighmare difficulty to get that great potential it has, partner, very good job you've done.

5 minutes ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

Starter Base

Ultra-Violence mode || GZDoom || Doom64

1810831032_gzdoom15-10-202013-02-58-139.png.0522afc1a7d550d8bdb737339788fcbf.png

A really charming wad in the visual section, really interesting as the architecture used here is really good, from the beginning of the level, to the part where one of the secrets is found in an area completely full of water, very good shape to give charm in such a small and simple map, regarding the difficulty, I don't have much to say in this regard, since the level only has a few hitscanners, Imps and Pinkys as enemies, really digestible, taking into account that the This map was created for the first Doom, but in general, I really liked everything, I had a great time, and it was really entertaining, let's see if I get to play this map on Nighmare difficulty to get that great potential it has, partner, very good job you've done.

You forgot to mention how many times you saved and died

29 minutes ago, Clippy said:

You forgot to mention how many times you saved and died

Pfff, c'mon bro, just 27 enemies really represent a challenge to die?, hahaha I really liked that joke, if you have a sense of humor, eh @Clippy?, Well, this time I did not add it because it was a small, short map, as I wrote in my comment about the wad, there were few enemies and there was almost no challenge to overcome, so, it would be in vain to put the Deaths and Saves thing if it was an easy map to overcome, I mean, Biodegradable pass it without dying, because I too could do it without much problem.

Postscript: I hadn't understood your comment well until I remembered that I usually put the times it has died, and the times it has been saved in each Wad I try

Edited by ElPadrecitoCholo

I'm glad you all are enjoying this :) I am currently working on a full Ultimate Doom Episode WAD, just so ya know!

Final Update For Starter Base!

I added some more decorations and remade it in the standard Doom format so it should work in other source ports like crispy doom, although some adjustments had to be made. 

starterbasedoom.zip