• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
william gee

DEMON THRONE RELEASED!

Download Demon Throne.
https://www.moddb.com/games/wgrealms-2/downloads/demonthrone-100

https://youtu.be/v-fLLNwX0ZQ

WG Realms: DEMON THRONE is a free retro-shooter built on the Eduke32 platform.

DEMON THRONE has over 20 LEVELS with more than 20 different monsters and over 10 BOSSES. Most of those monsters have several different versions.

Your can play as 2 different Characters, Duke Nukem or Jedrik.

You have been sent to kill the hordes of monsters invading the many Realms of TITAN. Set in 3 different lands, KHUL, ALANISA and THE OLD WORLD. You must end the onslaught and save the realm. The Wizard AXON has summoned you and will share with you his magical powers that can only be increased by killing the demons.

The Siege has been lead by the Archonitron and his many lieutenants whom you must defeat to end the war. Only by acquiring enough strength and power will you ever be able to defeat them all.

Fight with kick ass weapons, use magical powers, ally yourself with Immortal beings from far of lands, complete quests, and kill monsters to collect gold and gems.

William Gee and Dan Gaskill are the minds behind the game, with new and improved art by sebabdukeboss20, Level design by William Gee and Code by Dan Gaskill.

https://discord.gg/jNrKdk5

WGRanim.gifduke0000.10.png

Edited by william gee

An update. There is a crash to desktop upon loading the second gameplay map. It was caused by the latest change to userbyteversion (the internal version numbering system for the game). I have removed the line of code that changes the internal number and that has fixed the crash. The updated main file is now uploading to Mod DB. For anyone who already downloaded and would prefer a patch, all you have to do is replace WGR2PLAYR.CON (which is inside of the WGR2 folder) with the one attached to this post.

WGR2PLAYER.zip

EDIT: The new download at MOD DB is fixed and doesn't have the crash.

Edited by william gee

Not feeling this at all sorry man. SSG is bugged. I had 40 shells and it refused to stay on it - suspect I toggled weapons before the reload animation started and this broke the scripting. Level progression is weird and what to do is not always very clear. Got to a bit in the first map where I came to a chest, it said I could not afford to open it, went up an elevator next to said chest, fought some bad guys, came to a locked door that would not open. Looked around for a hidden switch, something, anything, back tracked to see if a new path opened up, could not find anything, came back, tried the chest on a whim, it opened and... so did the door? I am sorry but I just do not follow the logic in that. The helpers are a bit weird. The wizard teleporting right on top of you at random is kind of disconcerting, as are they knights you free from the walls because when they do not have a target they come back to you - and raise their weapon! I shot one of them on instinct. I then went up this elevator, blew a path through to the citadel, then was beset upon by an assload of bad guys. I ran out of ammo and of course I could not switch to the SSG due to the aforementioned bug and while I managed to do a lot of damage with the kick, I was completely overwhelmed. Maybe the knights were meant to follow me up the elevator and helped? But they didn't.

I hate being super negative so I will say some nice things. The sprite work and the level design, what little I saw of it, was top notch. Now it's a tough to draw a conclusion on the whole project based on a bad experience with the very beginning of the first map but I am getting the feeling that maybe a lot of this has simply been over-thought and over-designed? The chest triggering the door is a good example. It's not immediately obvious that a chest is a door trigger. It breaks the flow badly, especially if you refuse the player the first attempt. It needs to be obvious they have to go back. But even if you did make it obvious, ultimately it is just pointless busy work that grinds things to a halt. Personally, I would ditch anything like that.

There's definitely some quality work that has been done here. Possibly it's just not meant for me. Good luck to you.

The area where you were overwhelmed, you are supposed to use your POWER, "POW" to kill those enemies.
"PRESS R" If you look at the TOP RIGHT of this screenshot is has a list of your powers.

duke0001.png

The Chest requires you to find X gold, in this case 160, each monster drops gold, so once you had killed the monsters above the elevator you had enough to open it, and then the door opened to let you continue. Red chests activate events, normal chests do not. There is a story explaining this in the second level.

Edited by william gee

7 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Level progression is weird and what to do is not always very clear. Got to a bit in the first map where I came to a chest, it said I could not afford to open it, went up an elevator next to said chest, fought some bad guys, came to a locked door that would not open. Looked around for a hidden switch, something, anything, back tracked to see if a new path opened up, could not find anything, came back, tried the chest on a whim, it opened and... so did the door? I am sorry but I just do not follow the logic in that. The helpers are a bit weird. The wizard teleporting right on top of you at random is kind of disconcerting, as are they knights you free from the walls because when they do not have a target they come back to you - and raise their weapon! I shot one of them on instinct. I then went up this elevator, blew a path through to the citadel, then was beset upon by an assload of bad guys.

I played this for the first time today. The chest/elevator part got me puzzled for the first time -- I actually thought the number represented the souls you needed to collect -- then figured out it was gold. Maybe the phrasing of "You cannot afford it" is intended to hint that this is about the gold you collect.

Other than I want to emphasise that everything is designed to introduce the player to the mechanics very smoothly. Just don't forget to press G to view the tips, they're very helpful!

13 hours ago, william gee said:

The area where you were overwhelmed, you are supposed to use your POWER, "POW" to kill those enemies.
"PRESS R" If you look at the TOP RIGHT of this screenshot is has a list of your powers.

It ran out before I opened the door and would not activate again. 

6 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

Maybe the phrasing of "You cannot afford it" is intended to hint that this is about the gold you collect.

But why is the chest tied to the door at all? To me, the very nature of the mechanic is just not very logical. I was looking for switches, levers, targets to shoot etc. If you have to give a hint for something as trivial as how to open a door, then I can only come back to the project being over designed again.

I really dislike being this critical because it is clear a hell of a lot of talent and effort has gone into this. The screenshots look great. But I just have to pass on this feedback and say yeah maybe it's just not my kind of game.

I want to emphasise that everything is designed to introduce the player to the mechanics very smoothly. Just don't forget to press G to view the tips, they're very helpful!

Thanks MrFlibble, hope your enjoying the game.

Ive watched 2 steams so far, one from a expert and one from a new player, both were fun to watch and were enjoyed themselves.

10 hours ago, Murdoch said:

But why is the chest tied to the door at all? To me, the very nature of the mechanic is just not very logical. I was looking for switches, levers, targets to shoot etc. If you have to give a hint for something as trivial as how to open a door, then I can only come back to the project being over designed again.

This is explained a bit later when you interact with the NPCs. I won't spoil the lore for you but it makes sense, of sorts; and it is a valid progression mechanic anyway -- you need to down a certain number of monsters (and collect their gold) to get to the next area.

A little trial-and-error never hurt when playing games, or at least this was the spirit back in the 90s. I hope it lives on. Demon Throne already goes a long way to explain many of the things going on to the player. I would like to repeat, I'm a first time player and I felt everything was done very smoothly in the way of introducing the player to the new mechanics.

10 hours ago, Murdoch said:

I really dislike being this critical because it is clear a hell of a lot of talent and effort has gone into this. The screenshots look great. But I just have to pass on this feedback and say yeah maybe it's just not my kind of game.

I would really suggest you give it a second chance. Once you "get" the basics it's very smooth in every aspect.

The game also seems pretty forgiving, at least for what I played so far. Even on what appears to be the hard difficulty (More Guts), I am able to play rather sloppily and made some dumb mistakes (like I forgot to open the chest with the chaingun, hah) but was still able to beat the boss. But not a walk in the park of course.

There's a good oldschool vibe about the whole thing.

This looks very cool! Definitely gonna have a try on this first.

Also, that competition stuff is very generous, although I'm not sure if I'd like to participate (I suck at mastering games to play at harder difficulties).

EDIT:Alright, just tried it for the first time and am blown up away with everything it offers. Though I wonder why I can't load my saves. Something to do with EDuke32 updating itself?
EDIT2: Just tried saving and loading again after exiting. Turns out it's really just EDuke32 acting up before.

Edited by InDOOMnesia

Version 1.01 is up

https://www.moddb.co...lms-2/downloads

-various minor map fixes
-Death Knight boss spawn positioning bug fixed, will spawn in center of vortex (should prevent possible softlock)
-Auto gold pickup in arena
-Arena has "monster finder" sprite which will move stray monsters back to center of arena after enough time with no player contact. Prevents possible softlocks if monsters go out of bounds
-"Purifyer" incorrect name fixed to "BFG 6666" (leftover from Hectic Realms)
-removed parameters from the .bat which would cause saved game incompatibility depending on whether you started game with .bat or .exe
-added cachesize command to wgr.def to prevent some players from getting "cache locked up" crash
-Luglord fixes: music will only change on boss version of him, and it will go back to normal when he dies. Boss version has more health and his phases cannot be cheesed now (he is invincible while recovering)

V2.0 is released with the "HALL OF MEMORIES" containing.

1) Castle Demonhorn,  by Spiker
2) Utter Chaos and by Daniel Mason
3) Knee Deep. by Drek and Micky C
https://www.moddb.com/games/wgrealms-2/downloads/demonthrone-100

Remember dont overwrite your old game if you haven't passed Demon throne yet, you will loose your save games.
Join us on Discord https://discord.gg/jNrKdk5

hallofmemories.jpg

Edited by william gee