Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Telemassacre

Shooting a Rocket to death

All rockets should be homing rockets

When you shoot them, instead of blowing up, the homing targeting gets scrambled and now targets someone else.

Monsters can also shoot at the rockets and turn them against you mid-air.

Every time a rocket switches, it also gets faster, turning it into a deadly game of Ping Pong

Good fucking luck fighting a Spider Mastermind 1-on-1 with only a rocket launcher

Edited by wheresthebeef

When you shoot rocket with a rocket it gets bigger and explode twice as powerful and also changing target. Good luck with fighting cyberdemon 1 on 1

I made a mod just like this years ago for memey DMs my friends and I used to have, it makes the RL practically worthless against the CG, but it was funny to see in action

The basketballs in CYBIE2.WAD were also destructible. Made sense, only that ammo was at a premium ;-)

I don't know how practical it would be to make rockets destructible but I was reminded by the fact that very long time ago I had idea to make revenant missiles destructible and finally decided make actual functional dehacked patch for that.

destructiblerevball.zip

I gave them 100 health so they are not completely too easy to destroy. Also why not give destructible rockets more health? I think 50 could be a good place to start. Here is dehacked patch for that.

destructiblerocket.zip

Doom Mythbusters episode 1 - could a pistol round actually penetrate a rocket casing and set it off? Coming soon *

* not really.

51 minutes ago, banjiepixel said:

I don't know how practical it would be to make rockets destructible but I was reminded by the fact that very long time ago I had idea to make revenant missiles destructible and finally decided make actual functional dehacked patch for that.

destructiblerevball.zip

I gave them 100 health so they are not completely too easy to destroy. Also why not give destructible rockets more health? I think 50 could be a good place to start. Here is dehacked patch for that.

destructiblerocket.zip

Sadly when you shoot the Revenant Rocket it becomes a ghost missle to the player.  Once you shoot a rocket/projectile it can no longer damage the player.

Attachment is a DEMO for Plutonia MAP01 (Complevel 4/Final DOOM compatibility).

RevRock.zip

Giving missiles enough health to take a shot and not die doesn't work because when something shoots them, their target gets set to whatever shot it. And the target field is used as the projectile owner, so in essence any projectile you shoot would become yours, explaining the revenant rocket problem.

Some ports should offer means to work around this.

1 hour ago, banjiepixel said:

destructiblerevball.zip

destructiblerocket.zip

I took the whole destructible projectiles thing further and make the player only able to fire a projectile that forces everything goes down in just 1 hit, including yourself (and said projectile) in my mod.

1 hour ago, Mr. LBN said:

Sadly when you shoot the Revenant Rocket it becomes a ghost missle to the player.  Once you shoot a rocket/projectile it can no longer damage the player.

Attachment is a DEMO for Plutonia MAP01 (Complevel 4/Final DOOM compatibility).

RevRock.zip

Thanks for pointing this out. Should had done more testing. I guess what I want is really beyond what dehacked can do.

I wish you could actually ride your own rocket. Shoot it, jump on, catch the enemy unawares, then bail in time to avoid the splash damage. Or maybe launch a sweet aerial attack at speed. 

Yeah, that's the stuff...

20 minutes ago, Job said:

I wish you could actually ride your own rocket. Shoot it, jump on, catch the enemy unawares, then bail in time to avoid the splash damage. Or maybe launch a sweet aerial attack at speed. 

Cool idea. It's kind of like how the Mancubus is riding Doomguy's rocket in your avatar.

31 minutes ago, Job said:

Unfortunately that didn't went along well for Major Kong, how do we know it would go better now?

47 minutes ago, Job said:

Hah, used to be a Dr Strangelove mutator for Unreal Tournament that did that.  Well, you started off riding it, which is less cool than your version.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, SaladBadger said:

Giving missiles enough health to take a shot and not die doesn't work because when something shoots them, their target gets set to whatever shot it. And the target field is used as the projectile owner, so in essence any projectile you shoot would become yours, explaining the revenant rocket problem.

Then again this could be abused for disrupting or misdirecting infighting, or simply doing cool things like "capturing" a bunch of revenant fireballs, and have them orbiting you as a kind of active shield ;-)

8 hours ago, Clippy said:

This is funny because when I clicked this the other tab I had open was the "How old are you?" thread, lmao.

16 hours ago, Maes said:

Then again this could be abused for disrupting or misdirecting infighting, or simply doing cool things like "capturing" a bunch of revenant fireballs, and have them orbiting you as a kind of active shield ;-)

I actually really like this idea. It reminds me of the orbiting shields in R-Type and Gradius.