Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

The Doom Master Wadazine #6 - Featuring Abysm 2, Doom Escapism, Educational Tools and the Art of Source Ports articles!

7 minutes ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Not to toot my own horn, but damn is this so impressive.

3 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

I'm still aroused

Gotta keep the fans happy ;)

<3 Thanks!

Looks good, and glad I was able to contribute.  Hopefully I give myself some time to continue to do so!

4 minutes ago, Eric Claus said:

Looks good, and glad I was able to contribute.  Hopefully I give myself some time to continue to do so!

Glad to have you in mate! Keep up :D

26 minutes ago, Gaia74 said:

Excellent work!, Especially with the makyr transcription, that was very nice!

Made by @Nikoxenos! Quite unique indeed :D Thanks Gaia!

Officially landed at the Doomshack!

Beautiful issue as always. My pedantic ass noticed one thing - CSDoom was erroneously stated to have been developed in December of 2001, when really it was released in Dec 2000 and in development for months prior. Not a big deal by any means, I'm guessing the 2001 rather than 2000 was a simple slip of the finger. I can't believe how professional these look now!

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Officially landed at the Doomshack!

Beautiful issue as always. My pedantic ass noticed one thing - CSDoom was erroneously stated to have been developed in December of 2001, when really it was released in Dec 2000 and in development for months prior. Not a big deal by any means, I'm guessing the 2001 rather than 2000 was a simple slip of the finger. I can't believe how professional these look now!

Thanks a lot man! Nice to have that fact check. This issue was big as hell, fact checking and proofreading took time and was arduous, so I hope there are no major errors in there.

5 minutes ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Look who has got noticed by KinoFabino himself!

kino.PNG.f7dc9fc23a1e97d61769d922a5708005.PNG

Memes incoming when? ;p

1 minute ago, Endless said:

Memes incoming when? ;p

Hopefully soon :P
I personally also want a collab in which he makes a cover for the next issue.

Excenlent article guys, Nicely done!

Thank you so much for featuring an Abysm 2 article in this :) Been following this since its inception and its a such an honor to be featured.

Just now, jazzmaster9 said:

Excenlent article guys, Nicely done!

Thank you so much for featuring an Abysm 2 article in this :)

Thank you so much for participating jazz! Abysm 2 is a blast so congrats on that well deserved Seal ;) Hoped you liked it hehe.

the newstuff section... is that only finished or it is also wip stuff or both?

and why not include wip from other parts of the forum, like gzdoom-1 or my gzfreedoom thread?

fun that all4one was included but it really was just a goofing off level made for the hell of it, nothing more

afaik there is also a doom-2 project currently active

and Im sure there are other things too that would be interesting to include in future issues

such as various newbies showing off their first maps... some of those are not half bad

the dangers in becoming a doom vet are many

one might become better at using the bells and levers of the chosen favorite port but one can loose imagination and forget about new talents along the way. many modern doom projects have a tedency to gravitate towards too similar levels.

perhaps because some dude made something cool and then all has to be like that to be cool

I say the coolness lies in the diversification of the experiences one can create using the doom port engines

Edited by CBM

but still, I do like the idea of an online doom mag, now that I know it exists :)

58 minutes ago, CBM said:

many modern doom projects have a tedency to gravitate towards too similar levels.

The constant barrage of weird, wacky and wonderful community projects begs to differ. IMHO there's a lot of variety in the Wads and mods section. And that's only here on DW. Doomerboards constantly release fun and creative projects and there seems to be a lot going on in Discord as well.

Excellent stuff guys, as usual !

Here's my take at the crosswords game :

Spoiler

Across
4 DRSLEEP
5 SOFTDISK
6 PERFECTHATRED
8 GRAFZAHL
9 PLUTONIA

Down
1 OCULUSVR
2 NINEINCHNAILS
3 TERRYWADS
5 SUPERSHOTGUN
7 MARBFACE

The editors did an excellent work again. It really looks gorgeous. Can't wait to write for the next issues (at least if I find something to review).

@Endless I say ''Whoa!'' at the editing pass you made there on the Educational Tools. That looks.... incredible?

Thank you also for the completely unwarranted complimentary introduction. <3

It was a great deal of fun writing it, covering the likes of @fraggle, @Linguica, @Lobo, @kgsws and many others. It might not be the most innovative article out there (Some of the other articles are infinitely more impressive if you ask me) but for those who want a condensed mix of new tools for both Boom, GZDoom, MBF, EDGE and more (Aswell as learning tools to start off with Doom) its well worth the read :)

I think the Wadazine format has a lot of flexibility in it and its quite the honor to write for it.  Thank you for making this effort a consistent reality.

PS: These issues are hosted on Mediafire and DoomShack. If you need an additional (FTP-able) mirror, i can provide some space.

2 hours ago, CBM said:

and why not include wip from other parts of the forum, like gzdoom-1 or my gzfreedoom thread?

fun that all4one was included but it really was just a goofing off level made for the hell of it, nothing more

There are 66 entries. Some are bound to fall off or Noob may aswell list every single one of em that comes out in a single month. But if you want to be featured, why not PM @TheNoob_Gamer about it?

I am singling this bit out because, reading the rest of your comment, this either sounds rather complainative or disappointment.

2 hours ago, CBM said:

This sounds completely unsubstantiated without any examples to go by.

It was an honor to write for this issue and I hope to be able to continue! The editing on the final product was beyond my imagination and I got very warm and fuzzy reading it last night! <3 Amazing job by all involved.

Hi There!

I am very happy and very honoured to be able to contribute and write for the 6th issue of the Doom Wadazine! :). I would personally like to thank all of the contributers, writers, graphic designers, and many others for their huge effort and skills and for making the Wadazine project a true milestone for the Doom Community!

Could I suggest moving away from justified alignment for articles and simply using left alignment? I know justified is used often in newspapers and magazines, but the column widths in wadazine are pretty narrow and you really start to notice the awkward spacing between words.

6 hours ago, CBM said:

To clarify, the newstuff section covers both wip and fully released projects. For community projects it's a bit different - I usually wait until the project saw its final revision. GZDoom -1 isn't finished yet, that's why it's currently ignored.

Some mods might get overlooked due to various technical reasons I won't dive deep into. @Redneckerz had the right idea - feel free to pm me if you are interested enough.

7 hours ago, CBM said:

This section covers any thread containing a link or download file with a playable map.

7 hours ago, CBM said:

I do include WIPs. GZDoom-1 was featured in Newstuff on Doomworld in Issue #5, is number 2. The thing is that the list covers all ''created'' threads, not updated, or we would have an overflow of repeated content and other threads might get lost. Everything is accepted in this list because it is an archive, the only thing that does tend to be ignored  are usually teasers because most of the time they are forgotten, not updated or create other threads with the final version instead of updating the existing one.

7 hours ago, CBM said:

afaik there is also a doom-2 project currently active

Doom-2 The SECOND Doomworld Experiment is on this list, is number 49.

7 hours ago, CBM said:

one might become better at using the bells and levers of the chosen favorite port but one can loose imagination and forget about new talents along the way. many modern doom projects have a tedency to gravitate towards too similar levels.

perhaps because some dude made something cool and then all has to be like that to be cool

I say the coolness lies in the diversification of the experiences one can create using the doom port engines

I'm not sure what you're trying to say... Newstuff and Wadazine in general doesn't discriminate if you are a veteran or a newcomer, either old members or new members can be part of the main list in WAD Corner. Newstuff is even more open because it is a repository, an archive of WADs released in Doomworld without much restrictions.

7 hours ago, CBM said:

but still, I do like the idea of an online doom mag, now that I know it exists :)

I hope you like the rest of the issues in that case!

6 hours ago, WH-Wilou84 said:

Excellent stuff guys, as usual !

Here's my take at the crosswords game :

Reveal hidden contents

Across
4 DRSLEEP
5 SOFTDISK
6 PERFECTHATRED
8 GRAFZAHL
9 PLUTONIA

Down
1 OCULUSVR
2 NINEINCHNAILS
3 TERRYWADS
5 SUPERSHOTGUN
7 MARBFACE

Thanks man! Glad you liked the puzzle by @Nikoxenos

6 hours ago, TheEvilGrin said:

The editors did an excellent work again. It really looks gorgeous. Can't wait to write for the next issues (at least if I find something to review).

They always do, indeed. Thanks for the words and contributions Grin.

4 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

It was an honor to write for this issue and I hope to be able to continue! The editing on the final product was beyond my imagination and I got very warm and fuzzy reading it last night! <3 Amazing job by all involved.

I'm very honored to have you onboard Major, you make some fantastic write-ups! Happy to know you loved our effort :D

3 hours ago, Oldschoolgeek32 said:

Hi There!

I am very happy and very honoured to be able to contribute and write for the 6th issue of the Doom Wadazine! :). I would personally like to thank all of the contributers, writers, graphic designers, and many others for their huge effort and skills and for making the Wadazine project a true milestone for the Doom Community!

And I would like to thank you for contributing with an awesome article <3

5 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I say ''Whoa!'' at the editing pass you made there on the Educational Tools. That looks.... incredible?

Thank you also for the completely unwarranted complimentary introduction. <3

Thanks to you mate, your article is one of the most in-depth and helpful articles I have ever seen! Fascinating yet super helpful.

5 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I think the Wadazine format has a lot of flexibility in it and its quite the honor to write for it.  Thank you for making this effort a consistent reality.

Cheers! Already waiting for your part 2 ;)

3 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

Could I suggest moving away from justified alignment for articles and simply using left alignment? I know justified is used often in newspapers and magazines, but the column widths in wadazine are pretty narrow and you really start to notice the awkward spacing between words.

@Nikoxenos @4MaTC Noted! Thanks Scuba.

10 minutes ago, Endless said:

Thanks to you mate, your article is one of the most in-depth and helpful articles I have ever seen! Fascinating yet super helpful.

Cheers! Already waiting for your part 2 ;)

@Nikoxenos @4MaTC Noted! Thanks Scuba.

Ill be thinking of something else for the next issue - A little more jibber jabber and opinionating :)

Also, ack - Re-reading the article i spotted atleast two very nasty typo's, which totally sucks thereonafter. The next article will be checked more vigorously before sending it off.

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

Also, ack - Re-reading the article i spotted atleast two very nasty typo's, which totally sucks thereonafter. The next article will be checked more vigorously before sending it off.

Our greatest enemy, is probably the hardest part when editing and proofreading, sorry about that Red!