Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maximum Matt

The Maximum Doom Renaissance

11 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Some tropes are plain sadistic, such as starting the player surrounded by chaingunners, putting items in inescapable pits, and of course my favorite, the button on a wall that does nothing but drop the ceiling down on you.  Assholes.  

It doesn't sound very bright of them, from how you describe it.

20 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Should I finally stop promoting and obsessing over this pile of crap and finally get back to finishing Requiem like I should be doing?

From my experience, its better play Max Doom and lol about than yawn to Requiem... save for the music and some maps.

Memento Mori II is even better.

5 hours ago, P41R47 said:

From my experience, its better play Max Doom and lol about than yawn to Requiem...

Poor old Requiem. The prime example of refinement to a fault, to the point of sterility. It sucks because the maps are pretty nice looking and there clearly was love put into it. The design philosophy being (seemingly) so rigid was the Achilles heel of that wad. I don't know if it was ever a possibility, but not calling it Memento Mori 3 was a smart move since it doesn't feel like a sequel to the gameplay you'd come to expect from the first 2.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:35 AM, Maximum Matt said:

American McGee

American McGee was already employed in ID software the time he made ID MAP01, making him the first official ID staff employee to make a free map for everybody in the net, years before Romero and some other guy, maybe Shawn Green? I don't remember...

Tim Willits (?) and Dr sleep are been hired after they became famous for their works, as well as Team TNT and Casali brothers.

Anyway, I don't see a huge revival of Maximum Doom and other shovelware software in these times, but just as a niche interest from few users in the community, such as @nicolas monti Back to 1994 episode and that Joel video where he plays a random shovelware Doom wads CD, but this last one is kinda old (it's from 2 years ago), so... No, I don't think there's a brand new revival for 1994/95 maps imo, but I could be wrong...

Edited by Walter confetti

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I don't know if it was ever a possibility, but not calling it Memento Mori 3 was a smart move since it doesn't feel like a sequel to the gameplay you'd come to expect from the first 2

Well for certain its not THAT bad, but yes, its feels lacking for the one so called the last great megawad. It has great visuals and all, but not even Keränen, Casali and Capellan could save it. Not because its bad, just because its goddamned rushed.
And about the name, Memento Mori 3: Requiem would me more fitting, as a requiem and a memento mori are both arts that remind humanity the inevitable end but also celebrate the end.

5 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

So you mean I should've played it AFTER MM2? 

Goddammit

naah you don't lose nothing in the process, i tend to play things chronologically, too. But as a kid i played them as they come, now that i'm older i try to do the things ''in order'', even play them in order hahaha.

But yes, MM2 is the better of the three. So maybe its better that you saved the greatest for last ;)
The later maps are some of the most monumental maps i saw (The Silos & Corporate Hell).
The only thing that Memento Mori 2 lacks is the heavy use of fake 3d floors. But well, there are some.

On 10/17/2020 at 12:35 AM, Maximum Matt said:

There's Kes' Completionist Project, in which this otherwise level-headed dude has tooken it upon himself to be the first person on Youtube to have played through ALL of Max Doom.  This of course is completely batshit insane and I sincerely hope this does not break him, but I'm enjoying it anyway.

"Otherwise level-headed dude"

Hehehe.

Also, Tarnsman and I doing a series on this at the same time is no coincidence. I might have planted a tiny little idea in his mind that he did not in fact, actually complete Maximum Doom fully.

And he might have also responded in the following way:

https://clips.twitch.tv/MoldyDarlingCasetteResidentSleeper

I never realized how many prolific mapoerss got their start in this shitty collection.

You should write an article about every map in the collection, after you UV-MAX them, of course.

"Maximum Matts's Maximum Maximum Doom UV-MAX Map Reviews: 1,830 Maximum Maps Mostly by Males - Straight from the Gluteus Maximus - Maximalist Edition"

I'm just here to enjoy people torturing the shit out of themselves, really.

Please, carry on.

*Grabs the Vaseline*

2 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

^^ Maximum hell no

LMAO that is classic!!! Did you message him or something?

He was streaming on Twitch, and I left a message in the chat, something basically stating that he had yet to do the Doom 1 folder of Maximum Doom. He then said that he thought that everything in that folder was in Doom 2. I then replied and said much of it was.... but not everything.

He wasn't happy. I'll link to the stream archive that that was from if I can find it again.

BTW is every single map in Maximum Doom amateurish? Are there any decent maps (as in maps that can compete with the likes of Memento Mori wads or Icarus etc)?

I actually like exploring the weird shovelware doom level collections like Maximum Doom and DZone and such

Even if the wads might not be the best they do have a lot of weird surprises and oddities in them and sometimes actual hidden gems

I don't know that it's a renaissance as much is it is a few people coincidentally taking interest in it at a roughly similar time. Personally, I'm a big fan of playing through Maximum Doom (and other shovelware discs). It really changes your perspective on what a 'good' map is. If I see a map with doors using a door texture AND lighting then it's probably 'a pretty good map'.

Here's a link to a load of shovelware discs (extracted and ready to go).

9 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

BTW is every single map in Maximum Doom amateurish? Are there any decent maps (as in maps that can compete with the likes of Memento Mori wads or Icarus etc)?

There's some decent levels in there looking at the list, most are... not very good as you probably expect. If you fancy (a lot of) reading, check out this post to get an idea of the standard of quality at hand:

Before I discovered online Doom I used to play through the wads in this collection. I still have the CD somewhere.

comcon2 is my favourite. A really good clean techbase. I would argue it stands up today. I started Doom mapping be editing that map just experimenting changing things.

There's also some weird wads on there. One with Daleks. One with Monty Python sounds. One where the demons are having a wedding. There's Zeus of course which has the Geiger textures. There was a city map on there with an Icon Of Sin fight that I remember being good but I can't remember what it's called.

Most of them are crap though compared to the wads we are spoiled with today of course.

On 12/1/2020 at 8:46 AM, ReaperAA said:

While I haven't played Memento Mori or Icarus, I have played about 600 of the maps in Maximum Doom so far. I can assure you, there are good levels in there. Some that were very well done and not so amateurish. But, I must also say that they tend to be the exception. If I had to make a very rough estimate, I'd say maybe 10% of the levels are good. 30% are awful, and 60% are mediocre.

8 hours ago, Kes Gaming YT said:

While I haven't played Memento Mori or Icarus, I have played about 600 of the maps in Maximum Doom so far. I can assure you, there are good levels in there. Some that were very well done and not so amateurish. But, I must also say that they tend to be the exception. If I had to make a very rough estimate, I'd say maybe 10% of the levels are good. 30% are awful, and 60% are mediocre.

Well truth be told (from little of what I have seen of Maximum Doom on your channel), none of the levels compete well against the likes of Memento Mori (1 and 2), Icarus, Perdition's Gate or Requiem, all of which are among the better 90's wads.

But then again, I am too spoiled by modern wads like Eviternity, Ancient Aliens, BTSX E1 and E2, Valiant, Struggle: Antaresian Legacy and other wads that even the best 90's wads don't hold a candle.

On 12/1/2020 at 10:47 PM, Kes Gaming YT said:

He was streaming on Twitch, and I left a message in the chat, something basically stating that he had yet to do the Doom 1 folder of Maximum Doom. He then said that he thought that everything in that folder was in Doom 2. I then replied and said much of it was.... but not everything.

He wasn't happy.

It's great you're such a nice guy to point that out to him, Kes, and I'm glad he took it so well :-)

On 5/28/2020 at 4:11 PM, Dark Pulse said:

And then you played Maximum Doom, and all that therapy swirled down the shitter.

On 5/31/2020 at 1:53 AM, Vic Vos said:

I'M GOING TO PLAY ALL THE COMPILATION CD'S AND NOBODY'S GONNA STOP ME.

It still stands, I just haven't found the time to start doing it.

15 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Well truth be told (from little of what I have seen of Maximum Doom on your channel), none of the levels compete well against the likes of Memento Mori (1 and 2), Icarus, Perdition's Gate or Requiem, all of which are among the better 90's wads.

But then again, I am too spoiled by modern wads like Eviternity, Ancient Aliens, BTSX E1 and E2, Valiant, Struggle: Antaresian Legacy and other wads that even the best 90's wads don't hold a candle.

The last 2 of the 3 part Serenity series are in there. Those were probably a couple of my favorites. But it's true, we've been very spoiled by newer levels, so Maximum Doom couldn't possibly hold a candle to both.

But, for me, I must ask "Why not play both?"

12 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

It's great you're such a nice guy to point that out to him, Kes, and I'm glad he took it so well :-)

Yeah, I'm a peach. 😂

15 hours ago, Vic Vos said:

It still stands, I just haven't found the time to start doing it.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit mining blue diamonds.

*Grabs Vaseline again*