Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rixine

Did you have a favorite monster ( all Doom games )

Recommended Posts

Actually, mine is the Baron Of Hell ( Doom 1 & 2 ) because he badass ngl

 

Share this post


Link to post

In my opinion, every Doom monster is visually interesting from a character design standpoint. That said, you can't go wrong with a good old Caco, Revenant, or Cyberdemon.

 

John Romero's head too yes

Share this post


Link to post

Probably the Sergeants, because they give me shotguns and ammo. After them, the Commando, because they give me chainguns and ammunition.

 

But yeah, they're all decent when used properly. Except the spectre, fuck that thing. "Oh, a monster that blocks my path, that's almost always used in dark areas, particularly in pits so it blocks me with infinite height, that I can't see? Sign me up!"

 

For cutest monster I would have to go with the Arachnatron, those baby blue eyes are so adorable.

 

They're all good when used properly though. The Arch-Vile can provide some very tense encounters, as long as it's not hidden behind an invisible wall. Chaingunners are fun, as long as they aren't placed behind invisible walls, or twenty of them are placed halfway across a map. I really like the Mancubus, it's an excellent tough, but manageable mid-tier monster. Hell-Knights were a welcome addition to the mid-tier enemies; three Hell-Knights are funner to fight than two Barons. Revenants are fun to fight, and the un-predictability of their homing rockets provides a level of surprise. As long as there aren't 10 of the damn things hiding behind a wall, forcing you to use the BFG and pray.

 

Pain Elementals serve a purpose by spawning Lost Souls, which are excellent for in-fighting and distracting other enemies. Cacodemon's are adorable balls of hot air that enhance gameplay by introducing a third dimension to fighting. Cyberdemons and the Spider-Mastermind provide high-tier tanks that make you shit your pants and force you to change strategies from dealing with the lower tier demons. Imps provide slightly more challenge than the former-humans, and it can get rather tense when you have all their projectiles flying through the air.

 

Pretty much every enemy aside from the spectre serves its purpose. And you could argue that the spectre serves its purpose; if its purpose is just to be an annoying shit.

Edited by Jello

Share this post


Link to post

Cacodemons are by far my favorite monsters

 

but I prefer the old one compared to the new one:

 

newcaco.jpg
oldcaco.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Jello said:

Probably the Sergeants, because they give me shotguns and ammo. After them, the Commando, because they give me chainguns and ammunition.

 

But yeah, they're all decent when used properly. Except the spectre, fuck that thing. "Oh, a monster that blocks my path, that's almost always used in dark areas, particularly in pits so it blocks me with infinite height, that I can't see? Sign me up!"

 

For cutest monster I would have to go with the Arachnatron, those baby blue eyes are so adorable.

 

They're all good when used properly though. The Arch-Vile can provide some very tense encounters, as long as it's not hidden behind an invisible wall. Chaingunners are fun, as long as they aren't placed behind invisible walls, or twenty of them are placed halfway across a map. I really like the Mancubus, it's an excellent tough, but manageable mid-tier monster. Hell-Knights were a welcome addition to the mid-tier enemies; three Hell-Knights are funner to fight than two Barons. Revenants are fun to fight, and the un-predictability of their homing rockets provides a level of surprise. As long as there aren't 10 of the damn things hiding behind a wall, forcing you to use the BFG and pray.

 

Pain Elementals serve a purpose by spawning Lost Souls, which are excellent for in-fighting and distracting other enemies. Cacodemon's are adorable balls of hot air that enhance gameplay by introducing a third dimension to fighting. Cyberdemons and the Spider-Mastermind provide high-tier tanks that make you shit your pants and force you to change strategies from dealing with the lower tier demons. Imps provide slightly more challenge than the former-humans, and it can get rather tense when you have all their projectiles flying through the air.

 

Pretty much every enemy aside from the spectre serves its purpose. And you could argue that the spectre serves its purpose; if its purpose is just to be an annoying shit.

Actually, you right because first with the sergents and the Commando, you can just kill the sergent with no gun so you just take the shotgun and after kill the Commando so after your ammo is full and you can continue the massacre.

 

For the spectre yeah thats fucking annoying but like the worst is with Brutal Doom mod so they have those glowing eyes and makes you fucking jumpscares, damn.

 

The Arachatron is maybe the coolest monster in a certain way because he can make an army with the others Arachantrons and beat your ass lol.

 

Just like the Spectres, the Arch Vile is FUCKING annoying but very funny to fight with it like he mabye block you where you hide but thats the type of monster in Doom what i hate but what i still love.

 

Personally, the Mancubus is the best monster to kill with the arch vile, thats so funny to kill them.

 

"Three Hell Knights are funnier to fight than two Barons" FACTS !

 

Revenants are those type of snipers shooting you with their rockets coming from nowhere so you start having God like reflexes haha, pretty funny.

 

Pain Elementals throw some much chaos in the area i you don't kill them fast, it litrerally makes a whole army !

 

Cacodemons are legendary, those big ass balls coming for kill you bruh.

 

Cyberdemons and the Spider Mastermind are one of the best monster in the Doom trilogy like just how you say it the fucking trap you with their fat ass tank type body lmao.

 

But man, the formers humans are the most simple monster to kill in this game.

 

Actually i like the Spectre because its one of those annoying ass who make your anxiety in a whole other level like they are so hard to kill in those blue room wher they clearly invisble, fuck those shit.

Edited by Rixine

Share this post


Link to post

Probably Spectre. It is still the coolest invisibility effect I've seen in any game to date. The way how they are pretty much perfectly visible in brightly lit areas but almost completely invisible in the dark is genius. The guy responsible for creating this effect is a genius.

 

-fast Spectres in dark areas are probably my favorite combat scenario in all of Doom.

Share this post


Link to post

Nothing will ever usurp my love for Cacodemons. They're too cute, funny and add an interesting dynamic to the combat whenever they're used bet it floating into a nearby window while you're trying to snipe demons or sneaking up behind you when you weren't paying attention. Cacoboys are the best boys.

Share this post


Link to post

Cacodemons for me, their design is too unique and recognizable from Doom* that you just gotta love those flying meatballs!

If not them, Barons of Hell are my way to go! I just loved when I got scared the first time I saw them on E1M8. Those giants behemoths are awesome!

 

(*Yes, I know they are sort of a mix from the Beholders and Astral Dreadnought from DND, but the final product is very differentiable and unique on it's own)

Share this post


Link to post

Hmmm, I'd have to go with the classic Imp/Shotgunner duo. Either on their own would rank in my top five in terms of flexibility and utility, but when paired together are indispensable, especially in (Ultimate) Doom wads. Shotgunners and Barons/Hell Knights are also a natural pair, only a bit more niche.

 

Another monster I've recently developed a deep appreciation for is the mighty Cyberdemon (and no, its not only because of the cyberglutes... shut up). My new-found fondness probably has something to do with my decision to include at least one cybie in each level of my NaNoWadMo Project, which has forced me to learn how to use and fight them efficiently. Now I wish more wads would make use of them.

Share this post


Link to post

Overall, the Baron of Hell. Not only the name sounds metal af, the design is pretty damn cool in all games.

DE_BARON_MOBILE_633x424.jpg?q=70

 

Other choice would be the Hellknight from Doom 3, which is probably the scariest and most evil looking demon made.

761e0d50a59b3bbeeceeae3794522499.jpg

 

From the classic, I would go with the Archie. It just looks so evil.

360?cb=20190213071754

 

Extra points to the Bruisers too, again, from Doom 3. This one I believe is probably the most underrated Doom demon. I never see or heard anyone talking about it.

653693-925095_20050418_020.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Arch-vile followed by cyberdemon. Both satisfying to kill with the SSG and BFG 2-3 shot dance respectively

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

Probably Spectre. It is still the coolest invisibility effect I've seen in any game to date. The way how they are pretty much perfectly visible in brightly lit areas but almost completely invisible in the dark is genius. The guy responsible for creating this effect is a genius.

 

-fast Spectres in dark areas are probably my favorite combat scenario in all of Doom.

I will absolutely have to agree to disagree. The Spectre, while having a neat effect, is the most annoying monster in Doom. The only point of it is to impede progress. In high light areas, it's easy to see and dispatch, which means you could replace it with a Demon and have the same effect. In low light areas, all it does is get in your way, and it will only hurt you if you're right next to it. So it's more of an annoyance than a threat. I really can't stand the things, and as I said above, it serves its purpose, if its purpose is to be an annoying shit.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Jello said:

The Spectre

it serves its purpose, if its purpose is to be an annoying shit.

On normal difficulties, I agree.

 

But the -fast option bumps Demons and Spectres from one of the worst to one of the best monsters in Doom for me. From completely useless and maybe slightly annoying in certain cases at worst, to a high priority target you have to deal with very quickly or you will be cornered and die very fast.

 

In the 1monster WAD, Map 15 with Spectres is incredible. You basically have to locate them by sound only as they are running around between bookshelves and in basements etc. With -fast, it was one of the most intense levels I've played.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Endless said:

Overall, the Baron of Hell. Not only the name sounds metal af, the design is pretty damn cool in all games.

DE_BARON_MOBILE_633x424.jpg?q=70

 

Other choice would be the Hellknight from Doom 3, which is probably the scariest and most evil looking demon made.

761e0d50a59b3bbeeceeae3794522499.jpg

 

From the classic, I would go with the Archie. It just looks so evil.

360?cb=20190213071754

 

Extra points to the Bruisers too, again, from Doom 3. This one I believe is probably the most underrated Doom demon. I never see or heard anyone talking about it.

653693-925095_20050418_020.jpg

The Doom 3 Hell Knights are great. While, they are minimalistic they are still distinctive, imposing, and effective. It makes sense that they more or less reused the design for Doom 2016. 

 

I agree the Brusiers are under-acknowledged. I love old-school CRT displays and still use them today; and I think a reinterpretation of the Brusier should make the connection more obvious with an old tan bezel around the CRT screen and the use of the SMPTE color bars. If I where to include them in a sequel to Doom Eternal, I would make them big hulking quadrupeds that attack by bashing their CRT faces into the player. This does good damage and pushes the player a bit, casing confusion. The player can choose to spend a decent amount of ammo killing them by attacking their body, or they can use a minimal amount of ammo by simply destroying the tube display. Upon the destruction of the head the bruiser will hunch over and overcharge the electron guns at the back of the tube with demonic energy, sending out dangerous red, green, and blue (RGB) beams out as a final attempt to injure the player. These beams also damage other monsters. The demon might just cover a 90° angle infront of him with his beams, or he might even slowly track the player in his final moments. In short, this would be a visually interesting enemy that leads to interesting tactical consequences upon killing it the easy way. 

 

The CRT display already pays some respect to Doom's 90s origins but I would also like to see Doom 1's evil eye sprite or the eye switch texture as possible things to see on the screen. 

 

Oh right, what's my favorite monster? 

The Cacodemon is almost a mascot of sorts. It has an amazing design that's capable of being very sinister yet very enduring at the same time. 

Yet my favorite is the Revenant. Nothing comes close to the gameplay possibilities that the revenant affords the level designer, apart from the Archvile. 

Share this post


Link to post

Archvile. Say he's too unforgiving or whatever but used sparingly they can be a fair and fun fight. unless they're in plutonia in that case fuck them 

Share this post


Link to post

Chaingunners (especially when they grin), Pain Elementals and Arch Viles = Beautiful challenge!

Share this post


Link to post

Far from original at this point, but the Cacodemons. Just the perfect mixture of gross and fun and horrifying and oddly cute. I think so much about that E2M1 first-pass moment where you hit a switch and you get that headphone-destroying squeal and you're like "Oh god oh god what's that..." and then that big round bright red floaty weirdo begins to descend that staircase and it's like "Oh LMAO who is THIS!? Who invited THIS GUY." It's so good. And the mechanics where you shoot them and they sort of bounce back? And they aren't threatening and are endlessly shootable as a single monster but when they pop out as part of a group they become a problem? Iconic DOOM. And they've undergone a few changes in the Bethesda reboots but they still occupy that similar space where they're kind of awful, kind of cute, immediately identifiable. They're the best.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×